Maureen from Australia

Paintergal

Hi all, I was implanted in the right ear on 4 August and go to be switched on next Friday.   I am having the Duet 2, the new Audio Processor for Electric Acoustic Stimulation.   It is half cochlear and half hearing aid.   Feeling a little bit nervous, have just got over dizziness from the operation and am expecting to feel dizziness again after Friday.   Am really hoping for better hearing.   I have been profoundly deaf since I was 4 years old and had measles.   I have had several normal hearing aids which have never worked well, my last pair were compression aids and were much better, but still not quite good enough, have felt very isolated through deafness.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello Maureen - welcome to the Hearpeers.

Where are you from? I had a rare opportunity to travel to the world congress of audiology last year which was held in Brisbane. I also visited Sydney. Great country - lots of opportunities :)

Actually, we are just in the middle of one discussion about partial deafness and EAS system so please, jump into it. It's a topic MARGA - although your cause of partial deafness is different, your current clinical diagnosis (partial deafness) is same.

Partial deafness is very interesting subject - point where electrical stimulation and natural acoustic hearing meets each other. How they co-operate together...

If you can share with us more of your details - what is the degree of your hearing loss? What are your levels within the lower and middle frequencies?

It's perfectly normal to feel anxious just - understand that the results from your 1st fitting meeting are not final. You should be patient because a real journey of hearing rehabilitation is just about to start and it is called, never ending process of the neuroplasticity which gives opportunity to your brain to evolve further. Our brains are perfect muscles which we do not use enough - there are records that implantees even after 7 years feels improvement.

As I am not CI implantee I will let my colleague to conduct you further through the CI's curves - I made just a first scratch ;)

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome,

I was implanted with a CI in February. I love it! Most people do not feel dizzy when the CI is activated. Hope you have a great activation day.

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

welcome to hearpeers! There is an awesome com,unity of people here at all different stages of their hearing journey. Feel free to ask as many questions as you can. As Ivana said, there is a good conversation going on topic MARGA. Ivana is a wealth of knowledge. I'm sure you will learn a lot.

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

(Blush...)

Just an endurable bookworm...

But a real experience and inspiring spirit lies within the members of HP to who I have privilege to call friends...:)

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks Ivana. I, for one, love reading the links you post for us.

Mary Beth

Thanks Ivana.   I live on the West Coast of Australia, in Perth, a long way from Brisbane and Sydney.

I have always been told I am profoundly deaf, I have lost most of the upper register, but the lower register is almost intact.   The team at the hospital chose the EAS implant for me, I don't really understand the literature on it, but am hoping for better hearing.   Incidentally I am 75 and have been deaf for 71 years now.   Just to be unafraid of the phone will be a marvellous thing for me.

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome from the other side of the country.

When you are activated you're likely to hear a lot of strange sounds as your brain struggles to digest all the new stimulation.

Be patient and take things slowly, do some audio practice every day and listen to some music you know. I didn't recognise some of my favourite music after activation as there was so much more to hear!

The phone may take a while to adjust to, try different brands of phone (home and mobile) if you can to find the best for you.

Matt 

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks Ivana. I live on the West Coast of Australia, in Perth, a long way from Brisbane and Sydney.

I have always been told I am profoundly deaf, I have lost most of the upper register, but the lower register is almost intact. The team at the hospital chose the EAS implant for me, I don't really understand the literature on it, but am hoping for better hearing. Incidentally I am 75 and have been deaf for 71 years now. Just to be unafraid of the phone will be a marvellous thing for me.

Oh yes - I know where Perth is: the advantage of little countries is that we have a lot to learn about the world around.

Matt is in Sydney - so grab him