Jump to content

Just joining


Neal in FL
 Share

Recommended Posts

Bilaterally implanted over the past two years, my speech and environmental perception is pretty good. Born in Philadelphia, my wife and I moved to Florida in 2007, and I've recently been working with a group at USC on musical rehab. My hearing loss went from mild in 2006 to moderate in 2011, and gradually to severe/profound, in when 2019. I am grateful for having been able once again to participate in normal discussions (mostly via Zoom and Google Meet during the pandemic), and I'm especially grateful for the recommendations I received for an excellent audiologist and surgeon. As someone with years of musical training and practice, I'm especially interested in regaining as much as I can of my ability to regain better musical perception.

04a.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd love to hear about your music rehab.  I play the bassoon.  I have one implant (Rondo 3).

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for your posts, and the question, Mary Beth. Your posts inspired me, among other things, to learn how to post the answer to your question in my profile:

  • Implanted left side May 2020, activated June 2020
  • Implanted right side March 2021, activated April 2021
  • Wear Sonnet 2s and Rondo 3s

I was hoping that information might magically appear in my posts, too, but apparently I haven't figured out how to make that happen.

Moira, for music rehab, have been listening to familiar and unfamiliar music on Spotify and elsewhere, using musical apps, especially those on Angel Sound, and listening to Brad Ingrao's selections on Sound Cloud. I'm also singing along, playing recorder, a little keyboard, and hoping to make some progress on ukulele. The other day, I was glad to notice that my implants responded to the full range of the 88 keys of the piano keyboard, including the lowest (contrabass bassoon range) and highest keys (piccolo range). I noticed the purring of our recently adopted kittens, which is also in the contrabass range. Pitch discrimination is gradually improving, but not nearly where I hope it will be. It's definitely a work in progress.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • HearPeers Heroes

@Neal in FL

For some reason that profile information shows up on my iPad but not on my iPhone 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello Neal, I`m also in Florida and am currently looking for a surgeon/clinic for my evaluation and ci. Who did you end up using?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, Alan. From what I've heard, Florida has several good surgeons, and each CI seems to have loyal followers. I'm in central Florida, and I was happy with my choices of Med-El for implants, Dr. Laura Pratesi in the Citrus Hearing Clinic in Claremont for audiologist, and Dr. Michael Seidman at Advent Health in celebration for a surgeon. Good luck on your venture, and let me know if you have any more questions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mary Beth, I just noticed your review of the Artone 3. I have been using the AudioLink MedEl provided me for transmission of sound from TV and computer, but I received an Artone 3 last Christmas, which I couldn't figure out right away, so I put it into a dresser drawer. Two questions:

1. Does it compare favorably to AudioLink? and

2. Is there a best place to get instruction on its use?

Thanks

Neal

hc-3max__39081.1479316903.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • HearPeers Heroes

@Neal in FL

since you have it, give it a try and see which you prefer.

I have both the AudioLink and the Artone 3 and much prefer the Artone 3.

I’m happy to help you.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mary Beth said:

@Neal in FL

since you have it, give it a try and see which you prefer.

I have both the AudioLink and the Artone 3 and much prefer the Artone 3.

I’m happy to help you.

 

Thanks, Mary Beth. I'm a total Artone 3 newbie. Don't have a clue how it works.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • HearPeers Heroes

iPhone or android? @Neal in FL

For  iPhone go to settings, BT

Place the neckloop close to the phone and press and keep holding in the center button until you see an alternating blinking red and blue light. Try not to block the whole center button with your finger so you can see the lights.  Then let go.

On your iPhone Artone will show up in the BT list.  Select it.  Then it will say connected.

You only need to do those steps once to pair the neckloop with your phone.  After that, you will just turn on the neckloop when it is close to your phone and it will automatically connect.

Place the neckloop around your neck. It can be worn under your shirt.

Which processor are you using?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/13/2022 at 11:38 AM, Neal in FL said:

As someone with years of musical training and practice, I'm especially interested in regaining as much as I can of my ability to regain better musical perception.

Hi @Neal in FL, A lot of us enjoy using Meludia (https://www.meludia.com/en/). Meludia was also used in this study with some positive results: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6514036/.  I (and several others on this forum) have also benefited from playing scales on an instrument (whether piano, guitar, keyboard, etc.). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/24/2022 at 11:14 PM, AnnetteT said:

Hi @Neal in FL, A lot of us enjoy using Meludia (https://www.meludia.com/en/). Meludia was also used in this study with some positive results: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6514036/.  I (and several others on this forum) have also benefited from playing scales on an instrument (whether piano, guitar, keyboard, etc.). 

Thanks, Annette. I'll check it out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/24/2022 at 9:06 PM, Mary Beth said:

iPhone or android? @Neal in FL

For  iPhone go to settings, BT

Place the neckloop close to the phone and press and keep holding in the center button until you see an alternating blinking red and blue light. Try not to block the whole center button with your finger so you can see the lights.  Then let go.

On your iPhone Artone will show up in the BT list.  Select it.  Then it will say connected.

You only need to do those steps once to pair the neckloop with your phone.  After that, you will just turn on the neckloop when it is close to your phone and it will automatically connect.

Place the neckloop around your neck. It can be worn under your shirt.

Which processor are you using?

Thanks again, Mary Beth. I'm experimenting now. I've now paired it with my iPhone and desktop computer Bluetooth. Seems I have to insert the T-coil adapters in my Rondo 3s to get sound. I assume if I want to watch TV with it, I need to install a separate Bluetooth sending device? So far, I seem to get clearer sound when I link the AudioLink to the computer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • HearPeers Heroes

@Neal in FL

Rondo3 is the first current processor from Med-El not to have an internal telecoil.  Many people are missing it.

Rondo3 does require attaching the telecoil adapter and then you are at a fixed 50/50 mix that only your audiologist can adjust unfortunately.

Some Rondo3 users are reporting hearing a ticking sound when the telecoil adapter is attached.  If that happens to you, I suggest sticking with the AudioLink or flat headband speakers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Neal in FL

Rondo3 is the first current processor from Med-El not to have an internal telecoil.  Many people are missing it.

Rondo3 does require attaching the telecoil adapter and then you are at a fixed 50/50 mix that only your audiologist can adjust unfortunately.

Some Rondo3 users are reporting hearing a ticking sound when the telecoil adapter is attached.  If that happens to you, I suggest sticking with the AudioLink or flat headband speakers.

Thanks, Mary Beth. I wish I were slightly more advanced in the lingo as to know for sure what some of the things people here say mean. (I figured out what you meant by BT, but "flat headband speakers" still eludes me. I really feel like a total beginner.) I'll give the Sonnet 2s a run later. Will I need to change the Echo settings?

Best wishes

Neal

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • HearPeers Heroes

@Neal in FL

sorry for the abbreviations.

flat headband speakers work with Rondos since it is difficult to use regular headphones with Rondos without knocking them off.  I have CozyPhones flat stereo speakers to use with my Rondos.  They are wired.  Here is a link


I just ordered a flat headband speaker that is wireless and connects using BlueTooth (BT).  It should arrive this week.  I’ll let you know how it works for me.

 

Sonnet 2 has more connectivity options than Rondo 3.  My favorite is AudioStream because it is just a special battery cover that we can leave on all the time and it has a built in BTLE (BlueTooth Low Energy) receiver that connects directly to phones and tablets.  We just stay on the M setting (microphone).  I also love the Artone neckloop with Sonnets because it has the option for us to use either the MT (mic/telecoil 50/50 mix) or the T (telecoil only 100/0 mix) settings.

 

The AudioLink does not work well for me.  It has sound quality issues, too short of a range and sometimes drops one of my sides.  Other users have better experiences with it.  Tech is very individual.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Neal in FL

Rondo3 is the first current processor from Med-El not to have an internal telecoil.  Many people are missing it.

Rondo3 does require attaching the telecoil adapter and then you are at a fixed 50/50 mix that only your audiologist can adjust unfortunately.

Some Rondo3 users are reporting hearing a ticking sound when the telecoil adapter is attached.  If that happens to you, I suggest sticking with the AudioLink or flat headband speakers.

Thanks again, Mary Beth.

Neal

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Neal in FL

sorry for the abbreviations.

flat headband speakers work with Rondos since it is difficult to use regular headphones with Rondos without knocking them off.  I have CozyPhones flat stereo speakers to use with my Rondos.  They are wired.  Here is a link


I just ordered a flat headband speaker that is wireless and connects using BlueTooth (BT).  It should arrive this week.  I’ll let you know how it works for me.

Sonnet 2 has more connectivity options than Rondo 3.  My favorite is AudioStream because it is just a special battery cover that we can leave on all the time and it has a built in BTLE (BlueTooth Low Energy) receiver that connects directly to phones and tablets.  We just stay on the M setting (microphone).  I also love the Artone neckloop with Sonnets because it has the option for us to use either the MT (mic/telecoil 50/50 mix) or the T (telecoil only 100/0 mix) settings.

The AudioLink does not work well for me.  It has sound quality issues, too short of a range and sometimes drops one of my sides.  Other users have better experiences with it.  Tech is very individual.

Great video, Mary Beth. Much appreciated. Just ordered a pair.

Neal

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...