New member: 2 weeks until activation

new_user24

Hi there, my name is Jasmine. I'm 23 and was implanted with a CI August 11th. Brief history about me: I started losing my hearing in my right ear in early 2011. I tried a few different medications over time and nothing seemed to work for long. I eventually just went on with using my left ear only & did nothing for my right ear (probably a bad idea now). In the past year the hearing in my left ear started going down. I tried the same medications but again, nothing worked. It was then my doctor decided i get tested for a CI and i was easily a candidate as i was completely deaf. So here i am now, implanted in my left ear & anxiously waiting for activation. :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Jasmine,

My story is similar to yours. Lost hearing in one ear, started oral steroids, begoan losing hearing in other ear, tried steroids again but not successful.

There was nothing u could do to prevent hearing loss in both ears, getting say a Baha after your right hearing loss would not of prevented the left hearing loss.

While waiting for activation start researching the CI kit you will receive. Your customer service rep can send you information on what is in your CI kit and

hopefully a pdf copy of the users manual.

If u have a list of questions, bring them to your activation. Your audiologist will be glad you are engaging with them.

Everyone's activation is different so just relax and enjoy it and pay attention.

I recently upgraded from the OPUS 2 processor to the SONNET. I have the SONATA CI.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Jasmine,

I was implanted in February and I love it. Enjoy your activation day.

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Jasmine - hello! Welcome to the Hearpeers!

Ask as much as you can - we'll gladly try to answer you :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Jasmine, welcome to Hearpeers. We are here to support you and as Ivana said, ask whatever you want and we will try to help. Let us know when you are activated.

• HearPeers Heroes

A little late to the party but figured I would say hello and welcome as well. Do you think you will go bilateral?

Hi Jasmine. I'm a little newer than you. Scheduled to be implanted Oct. 2 in Tampa. I'm also quite a bit older, I'm 80 but looking to a long and useful CI implant. But then how knows. I'm gathering information as fast as I can. One good source is a book "Hear Again" by Arlene Romoff. In it she recants her first years experience with CI. Answered a lot of my questions. She aslo has a second book "Listening Closely". I haven't started it yet but will soon

• HearPeers Heroes

Good luck Lloyd on your implantation. I was implanted in February and will have my second implant done in October. It's a great journey. I wish you the best.

Hi Jasmine,

My story is similar to yours. Lost hearing in one ear, started oral steroids, begoan losing hearing in other ear, tried steroids again but not successful.

There was nothing u could do to prevent hearing loss in both ears, getting say a Baha after your right hearing loss would not of prevented the left hearing loss.

While waiting for activation start researching the CI kit you will receive. Your customer service rep can send you information on what is in your CI kit and

hopefully a pdf copy of the users manual.

If u have a list of questions, bring them to your activation. Your audiologist will be glad you are engaging with them.

Everyone's activation is different so just relax and enjoy it and pay attention.

I recently upgraded from the OPUS 2 processor to the SONNET. I have the SONATA CI.

Yes I know it wouldn't have stopped the hearing loss in the left ear but at least I wouldn't be completely deaf now. But thank you for the info about researching the CI kit before activation.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Lloyd,

Are u going to TBHB with Dr. Bartels? Good luck.

• HearPeers Heroes

I believe you will be very happy with the decision to go bilateral. Keep us updated

Adam