New member from Australia

dsmerritt

Hi everyone! I'm from Perth, Australia, and looking at the option of correcting my left side microtia with either a bonebridge or soundbridge. At 34 its a big decision because I have managed all this time, so do I need to have an implant? I had a rib graft when I was a child to give me an ear, so now to decide on hearing options :-)

Hi dsmerritt.   I am also from Perth, WA.    I have managed and struggled to hear for 70 years and at the age of 75 had a Sonnet EAS inserted.    Things are going well for me and hearing is far superior to any I have received from hearing aids.   Good Luck.

Hi Paintergal nice to have another Perth person here! Glad it's worked out well for you. Fingers crossed my next appointment at Fiona Stanley results in some progress :-)

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome to hearpeers

I can't give too much advice on those as I have CI's

Hopefully Ivana will be here soon to introduce herself. She can give some really good info.

Feel free to ask any questions you might have. Looking forward to getting to know you.

adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Hold on to your hat! It's a wild ride :D)

Definitely! :D

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi everyone! I'm from Perth, Australia, and looking at the option of correcting my left side microtia with either a bonebridge or soundbridge. At 34 its a big decision because I have managed all this time, so do I need to have an implant? I had a rib graft when I was a child to give me an ear, so now to decide on hearing options :-)

Hello dsmerritt,

I am from Croatia, an tiny European country - far far away from Australia :)

I have microtia too and have a Bonebridge. And I love it each day more ;)

Bonebridge and Soundbridge have same outer unit but implantation of Bonebridge is easier because there's no need for entering into middle ear cavity.

Generaly, Soundbridge gives more amplification so the choice should be made according to the level of hearing loss but also according to the middle ear deformities which is usually present within the person who has deformity of the outer ear due to the embriologic development of ear.

So, a CT should be done to evaluate this part. :)

If you have more questions, please - shoot! :D

• HearPeers Heroes

See I told you Ivana would be able to help in this area! She is awesome

• HearPeers Heroes

See I told you Ivana would be able to help in this area! She is awesome

We'll see - if dsmerritt will be satisfy with my answer.

Fabulous thank you so much Ivana! So happy to find someone who has gone thru it. At what age did you get your implant? My biggest concern is whether after all this time, it's not worth it.

• HearPeers Heroes

I was implanted when I was 35.

Well, to answer the question whether it can be useful for you or not, you should ask a Med-El's representative to give you for trying a device which is called Apolon. Basicaly, it's a device on the headband which you put on your HL side and test how do you like bilaterality. Of course, it can only be just better because it is pretty basic device; also implant sounds much better when it is implanted.

So - define what you want from the implant and assess the reality of your thoughts.

I still haven't heard that from you. :)

What I want it to achieve is being able to keep pace with conversations in group situations. I also want to be able to locate sound and catch what my kids are saying if they are on my bad side. I also really want to improve my ability to hear on my left when I'm playing music in a group and be able to tune easier to others. I meet again with my ENT next week so I can discuss it with them too :-)

• HearPeers Heroes

Perfect - you rounded everything what you need under the coin: You awed (need) bilaterality. :D

All of your issues will be if not resolved but much much easier with BB/VSB. :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks so much for your advice! I will keep you up to date.

Please do ;)

Hi dsmerrit

I just recently received my Bonebridge processor and I love it. You will love the freedom it gives you. I too struggled in social settings and hearing my kids. I am so glad I went through with it as it as changed my world. I am hearing things I didn't even know I was missing. My activation video is on the Medel blog if that will help you with your decision. Good luck to you with whatever you decide.

Hi dsmerrit

I just recently received my Bonebridge processor and I love it. You will love the freedom it gives you. I too struggled in social settings and hearing my kids. I am so glad I went through with it as it as changed my world. I am hearing things I didn't even know I was missing. My activation video is on the Medel blog if that will help you with your decision. Good luck to you with whatever you decide.

Thank you! I'm glad I have got to chat with some recipients as it has got me really excited now rather than mostly hesitant. Let's see what my ENT appointment brings this week :-)

I've signed up for a Bonebridge! Super excited. Now to play the waiting game for when the surgery will be :-)

• HearPeers Heroes

Excellent! Prepare for a nice ride! :)

We're here - if you can think out of how to challenge us with possible questions! ;)