Diference between then and now?

Marion

This is really a question for people who have had a CI for over 12 months.  Just wondering if you see a difference (or I should say hear) when you were at the 6 months stage to your hearing capacity now?

I know this may appear exaggerated but I seem to have reached a plateau and I`m only at 6 months in fact at times I seem to have regressed and I have just had a mapping.  I diligently do daily listening and repeat exercises.  Is it a time factor that will bring on improvement....meaning to say I need to let time pass and then I will hear improvement?  Can I do any more than what I am doing.

I`m appalled at times when someone is close to me and I cannot make out what they are saying and then I will be speaking to someone else at close range and I can hear them. 

Just would like to hear your experience of progress.

Thank you,

Marion

Hey Marion, thanks for writing here! 

The first thing I can say is that everyone's experiences are different so it's difficult to talk in specifics, but I'll help where I can.

You hit the nail on the head with your question about time: six months isn't a very long time at all, and the longer you keep up your listening and rehabilitation exercises the more you'll help your brain to understand the cochlear implant's sound.

You said you've just had a mapping, have you shared any of this with your audiologist? Info about specific sounds or situations where you can't hear well (or, can hear well) are valuable for an audiologist to tune your map for your hearing.

I hope some of this helps as a reassurance.

Hi Erik, Thank you for your input.

At my last mapping I had a echoing problem so we concentrated on that.  Of course in the small audiologist`s room everything sounds good....it is only when you get out "there" and into different situations that you find out whether the mapping has helped.   But at one of  my previous mappings I did mention that I wasn`t hearing people at close range sometimes.

Thank you for your reassurance......I probably am trying to run before I can walk.  

• HearPeers Heroes

Marion,

Most people report improvement way past 6 months. Hang in there and talk with your audiologist to see if a new map will help.

• HearPeers Heroes

Marion, I once complained that I had hit a plateau and was not gaining anything. I contacted my Audie and set an appointment. Once she got me in the booth, I had made some improvement. Sometimes the improvement is small so you might not notice it. Try to keep being patient and practice. As Erik said, different people progress at different rates. Keep plugging away and congratulations on the progress you have made up till now. Don't forget to celebrate even the small victories

Adam

Thank you Adam.

At my last mapping session I did not do as well in the booth as the previous one but the Audiologist put it down to my being a little uptight!!  Which I know can be a factor.  When I know that I am going to be in the company of a few people I start getting anxious wondering if I will be able to cope.

I am not scheduled to see my Audiologist for 6 months now.....but I will be requesting an appointment before that as I do need some adjustment to try and improve my hearing when near to people.  I am able to email her and discuss problems so I feel good about that.

Thanks again.

Marion

• HearPeers Heroes

Marion,

Definitely see if you can get another mapping appointment soon. I had to do that in June when a new map wasn't working well in real life. The changes that my audiologist made at that additional mapping appointment made things much better.

Good luck.

• HearPeers Heroes

Also Marion

Try to take very good notes as this will really help your Audi fine tune things