Looking for input with regards to wearing a hat with the Rondo 3

Ken Henderson

Hello to all,

I am a CI candidate and am researching the different options that are available.  I spend a lot of time outdoors and need to wear hats to cover up my head and neck due to a number of skin cancer surgeries.  My question is,  does the Rondo 3 work with a hat as well as without a hat on?  If not, does anyone have any work arounds that alleviate or lessen the issue?

Thanks for any input,

Ken

• HearPeers Heroes

@Ken Henderson

I can wear hats with my Rondos quite easily.  I just need to be careful when taking the hats off if I do not have my Rondos secured.

This depends a lot on the location our surgeon uses for the internal magnet.  It is something that is definitely worth discussing with your surgeon before surgery.

Some people who wear helmets with Rondos, also wear a thin skull cap so the Rondos stay in position when the helmet is taken off.

Things sound great to me when my Rondos are underneath a hat.  I do not even need to adjust the volume.

Thank you so much for that quick response.  It's great to hear this information from someone who's been there done that.  And I did talk with my surgeon with the hat in hand and he thought he might be able to position the implant magnet just below the brim so that the Rondo 3 device would not be covered.  The audiologist's thoughts were, since the hat's fabric is relatively thin the device could go under the hat if I was careful removing the hat.  But it's good to know that with a hat there would be a negligible loss if any. 

Thank you so much for sharing.

Ken

I wear a Rondo 3 which I attach to my hair with a clip. I live in Switzerland and spend quite a lot of time more than a mile high so hats. coats etc are normal from October to April. I have a tendancy to disloge my Rondo when I swing a jacket around my shoulders to put it on. Frankly I don't think the area of my head where the implant magnet might be fixed could be adjusted to avoid that problem. All but one of my hats are fairly loose fitting and as long as I am careful when  I put them on, I do not have a problem. My Rondo works well when covered by my ordinary wool "skull cap" but I have to be careful when I fit it on my head. 

It depends on the hat for me. Some winter hats are more comfortable than others but they all work.  As far as the baseball cap. They all fit if I adjust them looser than normal but some of them tend to rub on the Rondo as I walk causing unwanted noise. I have a few go to ones.

• 2 weeks later...