Newly activated

Brian

My implant was activated five days ago. So far so good. I am hearing environmental sounds well but speech is harder to make out. It seems that speech comes through at a lower volume than just regular ambient noise. I've been playing with volume and settings which helps but then if someone drops a spoon it sounds like the house is falling down. I guess this is normal but any feedback would be appreciated. Does this get adjusted through mapping updates? I am using the Medel Sonnet. I have a Rondo but that won't be activated until next month.

• HearPeers Heroes

Brian- yes this all will change. Your brain will get used to environmental sounds and start filtering them. Future mappings will continue to bring your levels up. For me at first it felt like speech was on a slow journey in my direction. Then one day, it arrived. Enjoy the ride.

Thanks. Patience is not one of my strong suits. I'm going to try and play with the proximity setting next time I'm out to see how that works. I've been checking out Hear Peers for a few months now. The responses here have been real helpful.

it will get better for sure. But every morning when i turn my implant on things sound extremely loud. Then get better within a couple minutes.

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome!

Everybody is correct. You have just started your journey. Your brain is having to relearn how to hear. Voices for me were all over the place, some people sounded like cartoon characters and others just sounded like noise. It did settle down though. For me, music and the phone seemed to take the lonngest to come back

Adam

One week in. I can hear most voices pretty well when plugged into my ipad. Kids and female voices are all over the place. Male voices are easier. I have SSD so I can hear distinct voices with my good ear when not plugged in. Still having issues with vocal volume in the real world. When plugged into the implant, I am starting to get fleeting moments when I can hear someone's true voice rather than a robot. However, the moment I focus on it I lose it. It's almost like swinging a bat or club. Don't over think it or focus on it. I get the sense that my brain will figure this out without me. I find I am listening so hard sometime to the voices that I am not paying attention to what is actually being said. I've also just started listening to music. The implant does drums well. Vocals not so much.  Although if you ever listened to the Strokes, they sound pretty good through an implant.  Their singer always sounded like he was signing into a crappy megaphone anyway. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I was the same way. Women were tougher than men and not each person was the same. It seemed that familiar voices of friends and family became more normal than people I didn't know. Music took a while for me and was frustrating. At one point it was just a big mush of sound. Then I could stand in the room with 7 people on stage playing a number of different instruments to a song that I knew and all I could pick up were drum beats. I can remember thinking, I am never going to be able to enjoy music again. I think as you said, I was trying way to hard. Things got better and better and now it sounds exactly as i remember it.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Brian, I found the opposite, that men's voices were harder to hear and soft spoken voices. I'm still not hearing music very well but it will come with practice. It takes time and a lot of patience.

• HearPeers Heroes

Sandy, ,usic and the phone took the longest for me. At one point I thought I would never be able to enjoy music again. Now I listen every chance I get. kEep plugging away