4 days post Bonebridge implant

Emmie

Hi, my name is Emma and I recently had a Bonebridge implant. Still feeling quite sore and wondering what switch on will be like!

I had sudden one sided deafness following cancer in my left ear canal which I had to have removed in 2012. I had a BAHA implant which was unsuccessful so I'm really hoping this works for me!

Just thought I'd say hi!

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome to hearpeers Emma

This is a great community of people all in different stages of their hearing journey. I have bilateral CIs for almost 5 years now. Feel free to ask as many questions as you can. Share as much or as little about yourself that you would like. When is your activation?

Adam

Thanks Adam! I am having my post op check on Monday so I'm hoping they'll give me a switch on date then. Feeling quite nervous as I don't know how the sound will be? I've not really been told much about what happens now!

• HearPeers Heroes

They should fill you in more on Monday. Each person is a little different in how they hear so they can't really tell you exactly what things will sound like.

I went in with I guess high hopes but low expectations. If my CI helped enough with conversations to where I wasn't so exhausted at the end of the day from lip reading, it was a win. Anything better than that was icing on the cake.

I was blown away with the results

There is nothing wrong with going in cautiously optimistic.

Let us know how it goes

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Emmie,

I am unilateral BB user. I am little bit confused when you say that you had cancer in your left ear canal. It's very important to differ what was acctually removed because if your inner ear is intact than you have different kind of hearing loss.

People who get CI have sensorineural gearing loss because their inner ear does not function - like Adam.

But, if your hearing loss is because mechanical part - part of outer ear and middle ear is destroyed due to the illness and has to be removed - this is conductive hearing loss.

Secondly, sudden hearing loss involves destroying capabilities of the inner ear.

Now, coming to conclusion - different kinds of hearing loss have different strategies and rehabilitation prognosis.

Now - you said, you were not satisfied with BAHA; it's very important to understand what exactly was problem to see whether your observations are or aren't possible to resolve ;)

Please write more - we're here to help in every direction you can think if. :)

Hi Ivana,

Thanks for your reply. It was cancer that had spread down my ear canal so lots needed removing. They removed everything, including some bone, but left my cochlear. As a result I have no opening on that side as they had to seal it. I suppose it must be conductive hearing loss? I'm a little at sea with all the technical terms as I've not really heard of anyone who has been in my situation. All I get at appointments is how rare this is and that they've never seen another case.

I didn't say I was dissatisfied, it was unsuccessful. This is due to the abutment part of the BAHA becoming loose three weeks post surgery so it was removed. The general consensus was that it was partly due to me losing bone in the original cancer surgery so there not being a strong enough base in the right position.

I would love to know more about implants/anyone's experiences because at the moment I feel quite alone in my own experience. On the plus side I have been given the switch on date of 9th November so I can't wait for that!

Emma

• HearPeers Heroes

Emma,

I wish you the best at switch on in November. I have a CI, so it's different, but I'm here to listen anytime.

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Ivana,

Thanks for your reply. It was cancer that had spread down my ear canal so lots needed removing. They removed everything, including some bone, but left my cochlear. As a result I have no opening on that side as they had to seal it. I suppose it must be conductive hearing loss? I'm a little at sea with all the technical terms as I've not really heard of anyone who has been in my situation. All I get at appointments is how rare this is and that they've never seen another case.

I didn't say I was dissatisfied, it was unsuccessful. This is due to the abutment part of the BAHA becoming loose three weeks post surgery so it was removed. The general consensus was that it was partly due to me losing bone in the original cancer surgery so there not being a strong enough base in the right position.

I would love to know more about implants/anyone's experiences because at the moment I feel quite alone in my own experience. On the plus side I have been given the switch on date of 9th November so I can't wait for that!

Emma

Excellent, this means that you have very good chances to rehabilitate your hearing because your hearing cells are untouched.

Either because of cancer or sometimes the abutment just to not anchor very well into your bone.

Expect full rehabilitation - possibly it (BB) will sound you little bit differently because it is still an artificial device but with time expect full adaptation due to your brain's neuroplasticity. It is a process of neural adaptation to a new kind of sound due to change in your neural pathways.

I'm bilaterally moderately hearing impaired since the birth - BB gave me possibility to truly feel music which is an important thing in my life.

Because of the fact that I have never really heard how sound sounds, I needed some time to adapt. You won't need to walk along all this path just a minor part.

I have heard and seen cases like yours - by profession I am a medical doctor, ENT specialization so I attentionly pointed my questions.

Just be patient, and keep your diary - whatever you think you do not hear well, explain to your audiologist. Only through the active process you can reach the best possible level of your new state of hearing.

Please, write your observation and as Mary Beth and Adam already wrote - never hesitate to ask us. Please, open your post into the Bonebridge section and start right away - all our testimonials serves to us and future patients.

And as the old hymn of Liverpool's soccer/football club says(actually it's an old music show): You'll never walk alone... ;):)

Hi Ivana,

Wow! Thank you so much for your reply. I feel massively more positive about switch on now, you answered many questions and concerns. It's so nice to talk to someone who has direct knowledge of people in my situation and to know what the possible hearing outcome for me might be. It's interesting to know that I will keep a diary in order to record which situations are tricky etc. I guess I felt a little uninformed as to what to expect.

I shall let you all know how switch on goes on the 9th November!

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Ivana,

Wow! Thank you so much for your reply. I feel massively more positive about switch on now, you answered many questions and concerns. It's so nice to talk to someone who has direct knowledge of people in my situation and to know what the possible hearing outcome for me might be. It's interesting to know that I will keep a diary in order to record which situations are tricky etc. I guess I felt a little uninformed as to what to expect.

I shall let you all know how switch on goes on the 9th November!

Hi Emmie,

That's why you're here - to ask us who already went through this process.

I was helped by my friends with CI during that process. Keep your diary, actively listen all the time at first. Samba tends to be to quiet at the beginning so ask proper intensity - don't hesitate to ask different scenarios so you can be assured what you choose. Also, inner environment if the sound cabin is not like exterior so possibly you'll need further adjustment but also expect that in the same time your brain has to adjust.

Good luck and write! ;)

:)

Hi Ivana,

That's good to know that it may be too quiet to begin with. Will I be able to go out of the sound booth to see what it's like in a noisier environment? Just thinking that it may all be lovely when it's quiet but too loud in general outside use! How long do you usually have at switch on to go through things etc? Sorry if my questions are too specific. I just want to feel prepared for that meeting!

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Emmie,

I don't see a reason why you shouldn't go outside - just ask your audi.

Well, someone already said here that it is too quet. When I was switched - it was also heavily quiet comparable with the previous model Amade.

I started to wear it almost whole day, at first I was scared to sleap with outer unit but after I found the way that it is secure on my head with Sport Headband I practically wear it all the time ;)

Don't worry - specific questions are the most important. N that way you discover limits, pushing horizons...;):D