Sonnet upgrade

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Adam,

I see you got your new Sonnets today. How do you like them?

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

You bet MaryBeth.

Things didn't go the way I thought they would. Pleasantly surprised, let me say that right off the bat.

I have been using opus 2s that were not working correctly due to a hole in the plastic right next to the mic. I had accidentally broken the ear hook when walking through a doorway. I had the DAI cable attached to the processor and a 2 way radio on my hip that I use for work. I was walking pretty briskly through a doorway and the cable caught the door handle and pulled the processor off. The ear hook stayed on my ear. Having no choice I continued to use them. My single word score went from around 90% down to 32%. It stayed this way for almost a year as I got help from voc rehab to replace the processors.

Anyhow, my Audi warned me it would be LOUD still after dropping the program significantly. She said some people say it sounds better and some say it sounds the same. For me it is hard to tell because I have gone a while without optimal hearing withe the processor.

So she activated me. WOW, it was LOUD. We went through some adjustments for about an hour plus explaining all the new stuff. I think it will take a few days of hearing but I gotta tell ya, I can tell a difference. Like I told ivana, I can't quite come up with a good descriptor yet. Can't put my finger on it but it is better. Probably a good description is much more fine tuned if that makes any sense.

They have really improved on the design hands down even with the dryer to place them in.

I still need a day or two to get a little more specific.

I can end it this way, if there is any way possible you could upgrade, I would strongly suggest doing it.

• HearPeers Heroes

Adam,

I am getting Sonnets too so I can't wait. Some people describe it as more "natural" sounding. I'm happy for you.

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Adam,

Good to hear you have new SONNETS. I agree that the new design is great. What colors did you get?

• HearPeers Heroes

Hadron

I got all white with a blue mic cover. For some reason, they sent all white but the blue mic covers are in the kit. You change them out every 3 months so I will just wait.

Changing the location and number of Mics I think was a huge plus as well. Looking forward to the rechargeable batteries

• HearPeers Heroes

Colors sound great. Did the audiologist mention when the turning on of the software for the second microphone might occur?

• HearPeers Heroes

Funny you should ask Hadron.

I asked my Audi about it but got a puzzling answer. She said they both were already on and explained ( way over my head) how it is supposed to work. I am going to email my customer rep and find out. The only thing in the kit was a voucher for the Quattro, info on the rechargeable batteries and they are waiting on FDA approval but will email me when approved. There was nothing about the Mics.

All that said, everything sounds amazing. I was at my mechanics yesterday and we were walking outside. I was about 20 feet in front of him and he (knowing my hearing history) said my name. I immediately turned around. He asked "you heard that?!?!?". Yep easily.

So I am not sure if both are on but sound localization is a heck of a lot better

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Adam,

Great to hear you are enjoying your SONNETS. I called MED-EL and asked to speak to Audiology support. Rhonda and Meredith are the two support audiologists, Molly was also but recently left MED-EL. I spoke with Meredith and she told me that the software for the second microphone is not available in the US. It still needs FDA approval. She also said the Wind Noise Reduction software is also waiting for FDA approval. This software is packaged together as part of ASM 2.0.

In your red MED-EL guidebook the second page is called Future Rechargeable Battery Technology Voucher. That is your voucher for it once it becomes available.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks so much for the info.

Gotta tell ya I was pretty positive that they had not been approved and just brought it up in conversation. And so we wait, some more

• HearPeers Heroes

I believe I read somewhere that FDA approvals are announced at the end of the month. Is that true?

• HearPeers Heroes

That's a new one on me. Usually the minute approval is granted, word spreads like wildfire. I will keep my ear to the ground.

• HearPeers Heroes

Check out the MED-EL blog article Getting rid of Noise with a CI. Of course you need wind noise reduction and microphone directionality! Hopefully the software update will come soon.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Looking forward to it.

My noise reduction now is taking the processors off :D

• HearPeers Heroes

Guys & Girl(s) - come to Europe to resolve your problems... ;):) :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana,

I wish I could go get the software in Europe. I remember FS4 and FS4-p encoding software was available in Europe late 2010. Unfortunately not available in US until early 2014! This should be quicker.

• HearPeers Heroes

If I'm not mistaken, it is also available right across the border in Canada.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hadron,

my thoughts were purely innocent - I understand your frustration. It's really not fair that you can't get any faster valuable part of technology. :(

Actually, if I can raise a hypothetical question: if you go work abroad or in Canada now would you still have to wait FDA's resolution? Just wondering...

• HearPeers Heroes

maryBeth, I think you are correct.

As far as I know, Canada now has all the stuff that goes along with the Sonnet.

• HearPeers Heroes

Adam,

I think they are still waiting for the wireless connector. I don't believe MedEl has released that at all yet. It's noted as a future technology. I can't wait for it. I do not like having to use the telecoil. It encounters too much interference.

The DAI signal is awesome but cumbersome. Sometimes you just don't want to be plugged into a device. Also, I prefer the red DAI (90/10 mix) and that means when someone wants to talk to me. I actually have to unplug the DAI cable from the processor to hear them.

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Agreed.

I like the DAI, but can be a hassle. A freind of mine in town was implanted with his first CI, maybe a month or so ago. He sent in the voucher for the Quattro and got it pretty quickly he said. I sent mine in but haven't received it yet. I have heard a couple of things. What I plan to do is be patient and wait. Everything will get sorted out soon enough. Whenever I need to know, somebody will let me know.

:0)

• HearPeers Heroes

Agreed.

I like the DAI, but can be a hassle. A freind of mine in town was implanted with his first CI, maybe a month or so ago. He sent in the voucher for the Quattro and got it pretty quickly he said. I sent mine in but haven't received it yet. I have heard a couple of things. What I plan to do is be patient and wait. Everything will get sorted out soon enough. Whenever I need to know, somebody will let me know.

:0)

Adam,

PATIENCE, practice, perseverance...;):)

• HearPeers Heroes

Your right Ivana. Another thing that helps is a good mapping. I brought a great deal of notes with me. This really helped her to dial things in. Even small changes can make a difference.

• HearPeers Heroes

I can just think what a tectonic move is with CI when I have plateaues when I don't understand well but just one thought change whole situation.

;):D

• HearPeers Heroes

I've been amazed at how slight changes in MAPs, result in huge changes in understanding. I have decided there are no small changes in MAPs. All changes can be significant. As a TOD it's good that I know this now. My students may experience significant changes even when their audiologists make slight changes.

• HearPeers Heroes

Exactly, I undersign your words - there are no small map changes. I usually asked for a change when my understanding changed - this means a lot if you don't understand what was said.

I guess, process of neuroplasticity surprise us all. ;):D