I'm going bilateral

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi all,

Just sharing my good news. I will have my second CI surgery on October 23rd! I can't wait to be bilateral!

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Mmm... Excellent Mary Beth - congrats! ;):)

• HearPeers Heroes

Gonna be hearing in stereo before long. Very happy for you!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks Adam. I can't wait to see if I can develop sound localization skills.

• HearPeers Heroes

Mary, you'd be surprised how the brain can adapt. You'll get there

• HearPeers Heroes

Mary Beth - why do you think you won't be able?

I have never actually heard bilaterally in my life because I have worn only unilateral hearing aid, but when I was tested with pretty technically rudimental device comparing my BB I scored without mistake. ;)

We usually underestimate our brains and us in general - please don't! ;):D

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Ivana,

Oh I am an optimist and I expect my brain will figure out sound localization/directionality. It's just been 24 years since I had two ears listening at the same time so there has been no practice. I am excited to re-learn sound localization after I am bilateral.

• HearPeers Heroes

Well, be optimist - I haven't heard trully bilaterally almost 4 decades ;)

Now you know the practice - repetition est mater studiorum, as Latin would say. ;)

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks Ivana. I can't wait to practice, practice, practice.

• HearPeers Heroes

That's great news Mary Beth. Keep us informed of your progress.

• HearPeers Heroes

MaryBeth

I went 20 years with one ear profound and the other borderline severe before it went south as well. I think you will be surprised how quickly it will happen. Funny thing is you won't even realize it happened until after you have looked where the sound was coming from

• HearPeers Heroes

Adam,

Thanks for that post. I can't wait!

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Congratulations to MaryBeth who depending on when the surgery was, is no Bilateral. What a big step in your hearing journey. Now comes the wait for activation. It will get here before you know it. As soon as you feel up to it, please let us know how things went and how you are doing.

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

When we're kids we used to run a lot, when we grow old - do we loose our ability to run or we forget how to do that (due to our impatience)?

• 6 months later...

Need your advise guys: my son been implanted bimodal with MEDEL Concerto/opus2 at 3y old, now he is 3,6y old. Now are thinking to get second one, believing it will be stereo surround effect and helpful. But local AUDI said, that its useless to get second implant for kids development and hearing improvement !? AUDI insists that it will be no effect if we go for second after 6months since 1st implanted. Is it true?? Now confused.

Even if we get a second implant, should it be the same implant type as first one ( both Concerto implant/opus2 or may be different?) ?

Any feedback welcome

thanks 

• HearPeers Heroes

No - this is not like that. Mary Beth will jump in and describe her experience which is absolutely positive.

I would definitely advise you to ask for a second opinion. By using second implant, your child will develop hololocation ability, better understanding in noisy environment and overall better understanding because 2 ears are not just 1+1 - 2 ears fulfill themselves. After all, 2 implants allows even development of neural pathways all the way until they reach hearing center in the central cortex. There are lots of study about that - I have put one on the forum, if you like it - use it.

• HearPeers Heroes

I almost forgot - not to mention that your child is still in very active period when his brain is developing enormously.

thanks Ivana!  your feedback is very helpful !

It would be really great if you share the studies you mentioned about bilateral implantation/second implantation etc.

i will definitely seek for other thoughts on this issue to get final decision. My kid is still very young and I believe second implant should improve and accelerate the process of development.

Thank you!

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

It seems that this conversation is going on in three different posts. That may get confusing. I responded to you in the topic called going bilateral.

You are always welcome to start a new thread also.

• Like 1

yes correct, i  posted in several posts hoping to get different opinions and share the relevant thoughts )

Thank you very much!