Work?

Christa

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced any time of discrimination in the work place because of deafness?

• HearPeers Heroes

Oh yes. It took me 10 years to get the equipment I needed to be able to know when a fire alarm was going off. On the other hand, the people in the section I was in were the best. They always made sure I was included in meetings and in teleconferences someone always interpreted for me. I think no matter where we work, there is always someone who will be the naysayer. It takes patience on our part to educate them. I am both deaf and physically handicapped but live by the motto, you are only as handicapped as you allow yourself to be.

• HearPeers Heroes

I don't know that I would call it discrimination. Probably more impatience if they had to repeat themselves.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yep, I guess it all depends on what you consider discrimination. Luckily everyone has been very supportive but I imagine they get frustrated from time to time.

• HearPeers Heroes

I have had lots of this too. Ben with my kids. They get real frustrated that I can't hear and walk away. At work, when I could work most people were quite understanding. But here were some who like you said don't have the patience or time maybe to help us. I think those people take their hearing for granted. I had someone say to me the other day I couldn't live without my hearing!! I was shocked. But replied it would be worse if you couldn't see!! Lol

• HearPeers Heroes

What would a blind man then said...

Not much choice to choose...

• HearPeers Heroes

I would say that discrimination is when people would say that you can not do that because of hearing loss. Taking into account someone's frustration because request should be resaid - well, what would we say? What about our frustration - paper is not contagious if oral speaking is boring.

This literally drive the situation into a dead alley because step forward is skipping a person. That is already partially discrimination - perhaps not on purpose but it still is. There is no softer term...

• 2 weeks later...