Audiostream issues with iphone ?

Juan P

Greetings!  I already posted a message about the poor sound  quality experienced with the audiostream Sonnet 2. I did receive some suggestions before  However, I discovered the device was listed as a bluetooth not as a hearing device after I paired it.  I contacted Med-el, and I was told:

“The SONNET 2 does not act as an actual hearing device when connected to a smartphone but as a regular Bluetooth device. Only AudioStream (the special battery cover available for SONNET 2 to allow direct streaming) is considered an actual hearing device and therefore also listed in the Hearing Devices menu of an iPhone.”

I located  and assembled the proper Battery cover, carefully followed all the instructions,  and paired it.  The audiostream is now listed under my phone hearing devices, but the quality is poor or the same as without audiostream.

Have anyone experienced this issue?

Best, J

Attached is a file and how  the device is listed in my Iphonne and Audiokey.

325920amissues.pdf

• HearPeers Heroes

@Juan P

In my experience AudioStream sounds excellent with my iPhone.  Are you using disposable batteries?

In the control panel, is it showing streaming to AudioStream?

There is a noticeable difference in sound quality for me when using AudioStream.

Thanks for your reply, Mary Beth!

No, I am not using disposable batteries. I was told my Med-el

"to locate a new battery adapter in the box as well (it looks like the one you already have on your SONNET 2, but it has a little Wifi symbol printed on it). Please locate that new battery adapter and replace the one on your SONNET 2 with it. Only then will AudioStream be supplied with power (that’s why your iPhone was not able to detect it yet)."

I followed the instructions above ( I even sent pics of the adapter to med-el for them to see if I had the battery adapter with a black wifi symbol) and they said that was the right adapter. However, it did not seem to make a difference.

Which control panel? in my iPhone hearing device says " MED_el Audiostream connected ". if this is the one, I took a screenshot and it is in the attachment of my original post. Audio key looks like the pics in the attachment.

I am really frustrated. Once again, thanks for taking your time to respond. 

Mary Beth,

You are always very helpful so I hope I am not asking to much.  Could you be so kind to upload a screen shot of what the audiostream Control  panel look like in your iphone? 

I F you cannot, I understand.  I'll keep trying to contact Med-El to see if they have any additional suggestions.  Best, J

• HearPeers Heroes

@Juan P

If you are in the US, you can contact in house audiology at Med-El US for assistance with AudioStream.  They are very helpful.

In this image AudioStream is not connected but the arrows point to the areas in the control panel that display how audio is set to stream.

I hope this helps.

E1F38711-CD0A-4C6A-8FD3-533E25C7D793.jpeg

DEDBEEEE-F008-400E-89D5-3C04CBFD76CF.png

5D663D1E-EACB-4D2E-9749-97FF11B01C03.png

5CBD6B53-E759-4BDF-9AFB-AE1A3E8CE06B.png

6454DA02-A143-436C-A92E-BB2479823E7A.png

Thanks for all your help. I have the same screen on my iphone as you have in step 11.  Anyhow. I am in northern  NJ and had my CI done in NYC-Cornell. I already contacted Med El -via e-mail and sent screen shots.   I can't hardly hear on the phone so calling them is of little use. Again, thanks. J

Just in case, when I try Audiostream, this is what I see:  Juan's hearing device and the Blue symbol.   Best. J

image.thumb.jpeg.61bb0a9c0511449a7a684d9aff919c3a.jpeg

Thanks sorry I just saw this message 

As I  understand it from reading everything Juan  has written so far it sounds like he’s doing all the right things however he seems  to be getting a lower volume perception/ reception through the audio stream in spite of all the settings being appropriate the one thing I’d like him to make sure  is if changing the volume setting on the device whether phone or tablet makes a difference to the volume of sound perceived ?

Secondly all things being equal if Juan  can adjust the volume setting in the audiokey app for his Sonnet does it make a difference to the sound perceived ?

If the answer is no to either of these then I would suggest/ recommend talking or emailing to the audiologist in the Med El and/or his  personal audiologist at Cornell .

They would be the only People to  check into this and make life more comfortable for him!

Good Luck Juan!

1) changing the volume makes no noticeable difference in the poor sound quality perception. It is louder but not clearer.
2) Unfortunately, adjusting the volume in the Audiokey makes no difference.
To make matters worse, the audiostream sometimes stopped working.  I'll contact the US Medel-el offfice
I do appreciate all the feedback from you and Marybeth.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Juan P

Is AudioStream showing up under accessibility hearing devices in gray or black font?

And your Sonnet is on M setting right?

And if you also have AudioLink, it is not connected at the same time right?

Okay Juan sorry to hear that  you have no improvements from all these adjustments you may get some resolution and feedback from the audiologists!

In the meantime what  Marybeth has been suggesting /asking makes sense to make sure that your audio key and audio stream settings on the phone or tablet are appropriate and the way they should be I’m sure you have taken care of these minor details !

• HearPeers Heroes

@Juan P

Did you update your AudioStream via the update setting in the AudioKey2 app?  Med-El released a firmware update for AudioStream.  I wonder if your AudioStream has been updated?

On 3/25/2022 at 11:41 AM, Mary Beth said:

And these links may help you as well

@Juan P

Hearing devices is in blue font

and it says med-el Audiostream (L)  Connected >

When I click connected, the following information appears:

"juan's hearing device " ( in Black Font Bolded
Underneath it says

"MED-El Audistream" on black fot ( unbolded)

2) audiolink is not connected at the same time

3)   "and your Sonnet is on M setting right? "  This one I have no idea. This is the first time I hear about the "M" setting. Sorry, I ama aware of this setting.

4) firmware update. I have version 2.0.4.  I will try to update anyway.  I just received a message from someone at MED-El software engineer to update the firmware like you said. I'll do that tomorrow after work.

Thanks again J.

Thanks for your help

• HearPeers Heroes

@Juan P

The firmware update for AudioStream is different than the app version.  We have to actually follow the steps under upgrade firmware within the app.  I will tag you in a topic where Med-El told us how to do that.

M is our regular microphone setting.  Opposed to MT or T.

Read this topic to upgrade the firmware in your AudioStream 

3 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Juan P

The firmware update for AudioStream is different than the app version.  We have to actually follow the steps under upgrade firmware within the app.  I will tag you in a topic where Med-El told us how to do that.

M is our regular microphone setting.  Opposed to MT or T.

Read this topic to upgrade the firmware in your AudioStream 

Thanks for the tag. By the way, the firmware message I recently received from MED-El is exactly the same as yours. I will try that . Again, Thanks, JP

Thanks for the tag. By the way, the firmware message I recently received from MED-El is exactly the same as yours. I will try that . Again, Thanks, JP