rehab programs?

new_user24

Hello all. I was implanted in September and have been doing pretty well for the short time that has passed. I can already tell what some sounds are and watch TV without captions if it is loud enough. The thing I'm working on now is word recognition and being able to communicate without relying on lip reading. Can anyone suggest some rehab programs that I could work on? The only thing I've been doing is Telephone With Confidence which helps some.

• HearPeers Heroes

You can also get somebody to help you. Write down a two or three sentence conversation. Have the person read the first sentence as you read along. Then you answer while reading your sentence. This helps quite a bit. You can use this same practice on the phone.

also get some children's books that have an audio cd or tape as well. You can read along while listening to the book. It helps if you choose a story you are familiar with

Medel also has some practice exercises on their website

• HearPeers Heroes

When I was first implanted I had a friend come over every day. She read numbers from a deck of cards, we had lists like furniture, fruit, vegetables, colours, etc. I made sure I went out and talked with people. I put myself in situations that I usually avoided, like restaurants, family gatherings. My audiologist told me not to lose my lip reading skills. They are just as valuable. The 3Ps were my mantra. And as Adam says audio books. I started with children's books. Now I can hear YouTube. I still prefer closed captioning and am currently trying to master music. It's a worthwhile journey but does take lots of work.

I am four months in and have been listening to podcasts - the more professionally produced the better. The first one I could actually fully hear was Fresh Air with Terry Gross (which is actually just an NPR program). Her voice and cadence are very clear, precise, and deliberate. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Fresh Air is one of my go to podcasts too

• Like 2

There have been lots of great responses above, so I'll follow up with some of the specific rehab activities that we've put together at MED-EL specifically for word recognition:

Interactive listening activities like Sentence Matrix and Sentence Matrix 2, and a downloadable set of additional activities you can do with friends. These are all free to use.

Also, we make a "Listening Up!" rehab program, which is a set of 3 CDs that help with hearing and recognize spoken words and letters. You can buy these by contacting your local MED-EL representative.

Happy hearing!

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks everyone. That's my next step. Rehab!!

• 2 weeks later...

I am so late responding but thank you everyone for these helpful post! I've been having some great progress since activation.  :)

• HearPeers Heroes

That is awesome! Glad to hear your progress is going well. Keep at it.

Erik gave some great tools for you. Let us know how you like them.

Adam