Reintroduction

Ms_D

Hello all!  Earlier this year I introduced myself on here, but eventually got locked out.  I'm just now am able to log back in.  Previously, I was in contact with someone on here who had the cochlear implant surgery done shortly before or after I did.  Now, I have no history of my conversation with her.  Anyways, I had my cochlear implant surgery done on January 7th of this year and it was activated on February 12th.  Since that time I have improved quite a great deal.  In fact, a couple of weeks ago, I failed to notice (until I left the house) that I did not put on my hearing aid that I wear in my left ear (I have only 10% of my hearing left in my left ear, and I have the cochlear implant in the right).  I was hearing that well!  It's amazing because up until activation day, I had never heard out of my right ear before (I was born deaf in that ear).  Now, it seems to me that it is becoming the dominate ear (I notice I have a lot more trouble without the processor on...even worse than before my surgery (so it seems), so it appears my right ear is working toward becoming the dominate one).  I still have not yet master hearing well on the phone with my processor (my primary processor is the Rondo...and I love it.  The only negative about the Rondo is the batteries only last four days), but I am hoping to improve.

• HearPeers Heroes

Nice to meet you. I'm Kara. From Canada.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Donna,

I was implanted in my right ear in February and activated in March. For the past 24 years, that ear was deaf and unable to be aided. It's just amazing to hear out of my "dead ear" now. I love my CI too and my right ear has become my dominate ear. That happened somewhere around 4-5 months. Then my HA became less and less helpful as my brain locked into the better and more complete sound from my CI. I had surgery on my left ear this week and can't wait to be bilateral.

Are you using MT, T or M when you use the phone? I do best with MT or T right now.

Welcome back.

Mary Beth

Hi Kara and Mary Beth. :-)

Mary Beth, unfortunately, I haven't been practicing on the phone in awhile.  I need to practice with all settings.  I was just told in August to start using MT and T.  Before then, my audiologist told me to not mess with any buttons but the volume and program buttons.  Now, I only have one program and she wants me to try the other buttons.  I am hoping to have the implant done on my left ear in the future (of course, it depends on the insurance approval, and then it's meeting the insurance deductible).  Who knows, since my hearing aid is not helping me as well as before (it's only two years old and it is the most powerful one that was on the market at the time), maybe the insurance company will approve of it.  Too bad I didn't have it done this year...I already met my deductible and so the insurance would have had to cover it all.

Thanks,

Donna

• HearPeers Heroes

Donna,

There are a lot of hoops to jump through with insurance. It can be exhausting. I was lucky. My insurance approved my second CI and it happens to fall in the same calendar year as the first CI. I hope it works out for you.

By the way, I also had just purchased a super powerful new hearing aid. I guess that happens to many of us.

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Glad to hear things are working for you for the most part. You do have to practice for sure. The phone and music took the longest for me. You will get there but you have to practice.

Adam

Thanks everyone!  Yes, I am definitely going to get back with practicing.  I was able to practice at work today (not on the phone) whereas normally I can't because I work in an environment with multiple machines (I operate one of them) and they are loud.  Today, I was in a different area, so I took off my hearing aid and was just relying on my processor.  I am going to start back talking to my mother-in-law on the telephone and anyone else whom I can get to tolerate talking to me on the phone.  I am determine.  One day last week, I put in an old Garth Brooks' cd (one that I was very familiar with growing up) while I was moving around the apartment cleaning.  I did a pretty good job keeping up with him.  I did get off at times, but at least I could keep up a lot of times...especially moving between rooms.  Here lately I have been swamped so I haven't practice as much, but that is going to change!  I need to spend at least an hour a day practicing.  When my husband and I got married back in May of this year, we thought for sure we would be able to practice together every single day, but it didn't quite work out that way - we started getting sick - one after the other...even making a total of three trips to the ER between us, so the sickness interfered.  Now we are staying well, so we are aiming at practicing on a consistent basis. :-)  At church, I take my hearing aid off, and just listen with my processor.  As a matter of fact, I have gotten to the point where I can start taking notes (not complete, but a good bit) rather than my husband take notes for me to know what is being said. :-)

• HearPeers Heroes

That sounds good Donna!! You will do awesome!! I hope to do as well as you. So keep up the good work. Med el has a game for word work called continents and oceans you could try that in your spare time. I have it ready to go on my phone. Good luck.

• HearPeers Heroes

Once you start practicing on a more regular basis, you might find gains coming a little quicker. Discovering a new sound can be pretty exciting.