Vanity concerns

Jazzband

I have just been told by my Dr. that I am a candidate for CI, both ears as my hearing has been declining for about a decade.  I am just curious about the feedback from others regarding having short hair and a Borg like contraption on the side of your head.  This is probably just vanity and that the fact that I will be able to hear well again, out weighs the potential negative of such a dramatic appearance to my appearance.  Appreciate any thoughts. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Jazzband,

Welcome. I use the Opus2 BTE processor as my main CI processor but will be getting Sonnets soon. I also use the Rondo when active in the summer or swimming. The D-coil is so thin and light. It is not very noticeable. The BTE CI processor looks like a hearing aid without the earmold so it is actually less noticeable than my previous hearing aid. In fact, when MesEl asked for a picture showing my processor for a guest blog entry they requested, we could not get the processor to show up clearly in the picture. My hair is black and gray and the processors are anthracite so they blend in.

That being said, I am always eager to show off my CIs to people. I love them, and people have been interested in seeing them. I do not try to hide them. They have been the greatest gift.

I hope you feel the same way about yours once you are on this journey.

Best of luck to you,

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome to hearpeers

I have a flat top haircut and have the sides and back shaved.

I look at it this way, if people don't like them, they don't have to look at them. It also is an opportunity to educate. Every once in a while, somebody will ask me about them. They usually have no clue what they are so I have the chance to educate them about cod and how they work

Vanity is why I chose MedEl - so I could get the Rondo. I am a young woman and don't particularly want to walk around with the BTE processors. I have long hair so everything is easy to hide, but I also wear my hair in a bun on top of my head a lot. With the Rondo, I just stick it to the side of my head without really thinking about it. No one knows what they are. I had a friend who I have not seen in awhile tap it, thinking it was some new douchey tech device. The Rondo is so weird looking that I am not shy about wearing it. I am more self-conscious about the Sonnet and tend to only wear my hair down if I have it on.

• HearPeers Heroes

Well, time resolve every issue - take into consideration what burden glasses had for decades. Now - that burden is totally resolved.

From my experience, as much as you predict other people's thought, answeer without question - you set their minds free. They are even more comfortable when they got a proper explanation. And you might never know - how knowledge about CI can change their or life of someone they know. We are the ambassadors, not billboards then educators about certain life's issues which do have solution.

I sincerely thank you all for your comments, I really am looking forward to getting my hearing back but this issue has been weighing on me a bit.  Thanks.

• HearPeers Heroes

Well that's a funny issue for me. I have had HAs on both sides for 20 years. I am only 38 so I understand what you mean. Some will choose the more descreet look if that's the case choose a colour that will match your hair. I on the other hand am very proud of my processors. I chose black. Remember how important it is to let people know what is out there in terms of technology. It may benefit one of their loved ones. I have a brother who is significantly older than me and thinks that there is nothing he can do about his single sided deafness. I have shown him a bone bridge type device but he refuses. So it's all a personal thing!! Good luck to you jazz band. I can remember when my dr told I would loose all

My hearing it was just a matter of time. I was at the grocery store and a dead women came up to me and asked me If I was dead too. I told

Her not yet. I was amazed with this women that she was so ordinarily going about her day. She paid for her groceries and drove away in her little truck. The next time I went I saw a man with a CI. I thought to myself I could do that. So here I am. One week to implantation.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes - oddly, but at that point your conversation reached another level - with only one typo :D :D ;)

• HearPeers Heroes

I have short hair and have the Rondo and have found it a great conversational piece. I had one young girl at the airport run up and ask where she could by the new iPod. You can also get skins to dress them up. And what Ivana says is true, we are ambassadors and educators.

• Like 1

I have a med-el (sonnet) I love the fact that everyone can see it. I change the colours of my magnets, and covers using bright orange, green, pink, white, anything. I have long hair but tend to wear it up a lot.

• HearPeers Heroes

That's awesome Christa. Nothing wrong with being " LOUD and PROUD" :D

• HearPeers Heroes

Awesome! I agree with loud and proud!!

• HearPeers Heroes

I decided way back when I had bte hearing aids that I was not going to try to hide them or apologize for being hearing challenged. My thought was that they help me hear. If you Have an issue with it, you don't have to look at them.

• HearPeers Heroes

When I was younger, I hide my HA on the headband under my hair (My scalp is really hairy  :P )

And than I give up - it came up that people had seen my headband and they didn't know what is the purpose.  :huh:

As I grew older, I started to become less and less obsessed with my HA.  :ph34r:

• HearPeers Heroes

I was a bit shy about my first set of ha's. But after I was used to them I didn't really purposely hide them or anything.