Is this a good idea, or not?

Mark Landsbaum

I was activated 12 days ago and it's been up and down since.

My therapist agrees with my "intuitive" opinion that I should not use my hearing aid in my "good" ear and rely exclusively on the implanted ear. Our reasoning is akin to how a child with "lazy eye" must where a patch over the good eye forces 100% reliance on the eye that needs to be trained.  I almost never have my hearing aid in even though it improves my overall hearing.

What are the opinions on this? Any empirical evidence, or is it just based on common sense?

Thanks in advance. I'm awash in new mysterious sounds that overcome the things I'm newly able to hear. Improvemenrt is incremental, but in the right direction. It's impossible for me to know whether doing without the hearing aid has contributed to my improvement because I can't test being with and without it simultaneously.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mark Landsbaum

congratulations.  In my opinion it is probably more significant to spend dedicated time with the CI ear only doing aural rehab every day as well as time with the CI ear only just going about your day as normal.

Spending some time using both your CI and HA is fine as well.  

Thanks. But no empirical evidence, tests, etc. on the topic?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mark Landsbaum

Each CI audiologist follows her/his own protocol about that.  There is no way to compare results as each ear is different so will have its own unique journey.

Even my own right and left ears had very different journeys.  Same brain. Same routine.

Either way, great results can be obtained whether the HA is not used at all for the first months or the HA is used some part of each day for the first months.

Hi there, i rehabbed with no ha on unimplanted ear, in fact my audi gave me ear plugs to use in the beginning rehab on the ci. Its important to receive sound thru implant to train that audio nerve. The unimplanted ear audio nerve is used to sound!! The implanted side is now receiving sounds in a new way.

Everyone is different, like fingerprints!!!

When I’m actively working on rehab, I use only my CI. Right now, if I’m home I prefer using just my Rondo 3 and stream all day. 

At first I was heavily relying on my HA outside of the house but with all the work I’ve put into it I’m no longer comfortable with just my HA. I have to have both. This is a 180 change from a few months ago. Not quite comfortable yet with just my CI but eventually will get there. Just my journey thus far, as stated above everyone’s journey is truly unique 

1 hour ago, Dianna said:

Hey lauren, what ha did you go with??

Phonak Paradise P90-UP. Interestingly enough it takes the same size disposables as my CI and can use Implant disposables (CI can’t use HA batteries tho). So if I ever switch to disposables for my CI there’s potential savings for not having to buy different batteries. 

Biggest adjustment so far is that til now I was always using size 13s. Hoping I catch on before I go through too many registers.