Implanted 11/10/15

Steven Ulven

Hello all:

I have lurked here a bit as my scheduled implantation date neared.  Lots of great information.  I was implanted on 11/10/15 and made it through that process very well compared to my previous middle ear surgery to replace my Stapes bone.  I came out of that extremely dizzy and with considerable facial palsy from the facial nerve being damaged.  Needless to say I was pretty nervous about that getting worse.  I was very happy to come out of implantation surgery with neither of those issues.

My question for the group is whether others have experienced what I can only describe as a rushing air or white noise kind of sound in my implanted ear.  It isn't really a problem except when I am trying to get to sleep.  It is hard not to focus on that "sound". 

I would love to hear if anyone has any thoughts on this as I "patiently" wait for my activation on 12/1/15.

Steve

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello Steve,

You mean as some kind of tinnitus but its like a TV signal? You were at the implantation of CI? 

I can only guess you had a stapedotomy before? So you have lost your previous hearing or what?

• HearPeers Heroes

Well I would be considered a special case but that being said I hear piano music, engine noise, or bells. I have heard its normal to have some. To what degree I don't know. I had csf leak (brain fluid) in my surgery and had to have a fat graft from my stomach during the procedure to stop the leaks. Which was done on the 5 of this month. I get a fullness feeling when I get up sometimes. I guess to fast!! So hang in there id it it continues see your doctor. They will know best what is "normal" and what is not.

• HearPeers Heroes

Sulven,

All different kinds of tinnitus are quite common after implantation. Fortunately for most people, once you get activated you will not notice it.

Mary Beth

Yes, I did have my stapes bone replaced about 2 1/2 years ago.  I did have some hearing, but my testing for that ear came in at 19% with optimized hearing aids in place.  From what I have read, it does sound like I am dealing with tinnitus, I just wasn't sure if that was it or not.

I must be getting used to it since I did sleep much better last night.

Thanks for the input.  Looking forward to 12/1/15 activation...

Steve