An update on my latest mapping.

Marion

I think progress has been made somewhat with this last mapping.  My audiologist of course programmed in the latest mapping but she also programmed in a mapping which I had on the 26th May which was really good but for some reason changed to being not so good.  But she wanted me to have an opportunity to try it out again plus of course I have the choice of switching to the recent mapping if I wish.   So now I have two choices.

Also I was having problems with a persistent echo effect which was really not helping me to decipher at all.  I decided to try out some older hearing aids that I have and I was amazed that these hearing aids do not give me an echo sensation so that is a definite plus.   Of course I`m still trying to hear tellers and waitresses but I feel I`m  hearing better.  I`ve had some good conversations on a one on one which really have boosted my spirits and then today a total turn around I visited a friend in hospital and had major problems hearing her.  I suspect that when you are in different environments this can alter whereas the one on one conversation was good and then you move into another scene and your hearing is not the same.   That is when I start altering every volume and other things on my remote trying to get back what I had during the one on one.  

I find at the moment it is a roller coaster ride but hopefully it will stabilize.

Marion

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Marion, it sounds like you are making progress. Keep up the good work. It will get better the more you put yourself in different situations. For me, I try not to use my remote so that I get used to the mapping my audiologist has given me. This seems to work for me even though it can be frustrating.

I admire your restraint in not altering any settings.  I am up and down with the volume on my hearing aid and the same with the volume and sensitivity setting on the CI remote - trying to hear better in certain situations.   Mind you today was exceptional because I did not want my friend at the hospital to have to repeat when she was not feeling too good, so I did a lot of bluffing But another time  when hearing becomes a problem and will try and just leave well alone and see how I go on.

Thanks for your input.

Marion 

• HearPeers Heroes

Marion

Great to hear you are making progress. Sometimes it is not as fast as you want. Keep on practicing and it will come.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yeap - sometimes changes make difference, sometimes not: but how would we now if we don't try? ;):)

• HearPeers Heroes

I've had some problems with my last mapping but it's only been three weeks. The previous mapping I liked except that I had a hard time with some of the lower tones. My audiologist increased two of the lower tones but now I'm finding that the higher pitches do not sound the same. By changing just these two electrodes, does it change all of them?

• HearPeers Heroes

Sandy,

Every time we adjust my map- even just changing a couple of electrodes - I find that I need time to adjust to the new map. Sometimes it feels like a small step backward followed by forward progress that leaves me further ahead than I was with the previous map. I'm not a fan of any backward movement, smile, but I have come to the realization that this is how my journey is progressing so I am more patient now. If I don't adjust after several weeks of training though, I go back for a different map. That only happened once so far.

Mary Beth

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks Mary Beth. I will persevere. I actually heard everything my niece said today. Usually I have a hard time with her because she talks loud and very fast.

• HearPeers Heroes

Sandy

That is a definite win!!! Try to enjoy all the little improvements that come along the journey.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes it was a win. Another good sign was that I heard all of the conversation in my car, even the person in the back seat. A definite milestone.