So I think there still needs to be a lot of education

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Why? It's highly sophisticated method - Adam you should not swap sides easily: people can not store all kind of information - encyclopaedia serves that. Moreover, although hearing loss is frequent, some eye diffractions are more frequent so eyeglasses are more common than hearing aids. Taking into account that only fraction of people need it... it is pretty narrow part of population which need it.

Today I have read in Med-El journal that while 90% those children who need CI get it in Europe, this number is much lesser in the USA approximately 50%.

Although there is a logical question whether people think at all - where could go implant of cochlea?!? They don't but this is totally another story.

In Croatia, translated, we would say - an artificial cochlea, so I would expect that people wouldn't understand what is and where goes something artificial.

But this is nice verbal game of the brain. :D :D :P

• HearPeers Heroes

I agree Ivana, I was saying that there needs to be a lot of education about hearing loss, deafness, cochlear implants. There are many at least in the U.S. That could really use it but don't even know about them. They probably just accept it as part of life. I have co workers that really need to get their hearing tested but will give any excuse not to go. Kinda sad in a way

• HearPeers Heroes

It's very sad. Up here they are so expensive. My last pair was $4000. Not many people want to put that kind of money into something so small. (So they think) an intro set is about $1400.

• HearPeers Heroes

Since I've had my CI it amazes me the number of people that I've talked to that have no idea what it is. I get asked and when I explain it, people are dumbfounded. New hearing, I see you are Canadian, did your provincial healthcare not pay for your implant and processor? My audiologist told me a new Rondo is about $11,000 in Ontario.

• HearPeers Heroes

I have been asked if they are new Bluetooth, if I am listening to music, is it a new phone and if I am security :D

• HearPeers Heroes

Sandy the provincial health care pays for the implant and processor. The first ones. They do not pay for hearing aids. They only contribute a portion. A sonnet costs $9600 here.

• HearPeers Heroes

I have been asked if they are new Bluetooth, if I am listening to music, is it a new phone and if I am security :D

You've missed - are you possibly crazy? reason, if you talk to mobile phone over the loop not putting a mobile phone over the ear. :D :D :P

• HearPeers Heroes

This video kind of surprised me

Wow Adam what an incredible video!! It really made me laugh as well as a little shocking. I think people are afraid of big decisions like implants. Some people anyway. I have a brother who is left ear is completely deafen. He refuses to do anything about it. I have mentioned to him that a bonebridge implant maybe able I help him. He is too vain worried about looks I think.

• HearPeers Heroes

Newhearing... It depends of what kind of hearing loss your brother ave. I would really REALLY recommend Bonebridge only to the person with a conductive type of hearing loss... Otherwise, Soundbridge would be more appropriate solution. It is genuinely attended for a sensorineural hearing loss.

• HearPeers Heroes

Right Ivana. It was more of a suggestion to him. He lost his hearring to in the left ear to an infection at age 9. He's 68 now.

• HearPeers Heroes

Well... you mean enhance his left ear hearing (which is basically single-sided deafness...)...

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes. I will fight the good fight to get any possible hearing back. I hate to have to wait for a surgery or an activation but I will. And I won't put it off for some silly reason as looks or fear of pain. Just saying.

• HearPeers Heroes

Well, for a start... I barely wait when I will get a chance to become bilateral: what this really mean...? How is it felt when you hear uni- or bilateral...? How much does it help to improve speech understanding...? All questions with great question mark above me.

Until then, I believe that for SSD a CI theoretically is better. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana,

Is going bilateral an option for you?

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana,

Is going bilateral an option for you?

Mary Beth

It is an option definitely, Mary Beth, but as my hearing loss is due to the congenital malformations I do not have properly developed outer and middle ears which has to be reconstructed before any temporal bone access which injure tissue above it. As I am still not prepared to give up of this idea I have decided to wait a little bit (hard to find some time just for myself due to my school/university/residency obligations). I have resolved major issue - I hear much better than I ever heard before; there will be time to improve it further. As you can see this is all the matter of synchronisation - like life usually is. ;):)

• HearPeers Heroes

I'm glad it's an option for you Ivana, even if it is a bit complicated. You will know when the time is right. I'm glad you are hearing so well now.

• HearPeers Heroes

New hearing, it is hard to say what he would qualify for. The big issue is that they do not only look at hearing loss as a requirement. If the person is not willing to put in the work after activation or their expectations are too high, this could deem them not a viable candidate. As much as we want it for them, if they are not on board, there isn't much we can do.

• HearPeers Heroes

Actually I spoke with him last night. I think he is afraid. He said he would look into it when he couldn't hear well anymore. Who knows.

• HearPeers Heroes

From what I have seen, most people seem to be afraid of the surgery. There is also the unknown. Now he knows what he has and is willing to deal with it rather than take a chance when you don't know for sure what it will be like. I could be way off base here. This is just something I have noticed in folks that I have spoken with

• HearPeers Heroes

I totally agree with you here. I was a bit scared of the surgery myself. So I think your right.

• HearPeers Heroes

It was a family gathering actually and I was telling everyone about my cochlear imp at and how it will work. So it was an educational night.

• HearPeers Heroes

Adam we need you on another page. Bilateral ci implants under introduce yourself. A new person wants to know about CI Borg land.