bilateral cochlear implants

wilflaurier

Hi, this my first time for this forum, I would like some feedback on bilateral c.i., I'm interested in learning more about this. It two implants better than one? How long it last?. I would like to hear from you. Thanks Wilf.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello and welcome,

I received my first CI in February and was activated in March. I love it! I received my second CI in October and was activated earlier this week. I had two separate surgeries so I do not know how long it takes to perform simultaneous CI surgeries.

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi, this my first time for this forum, I would like some feedback on bilateral c.i., I'm interested in learning more about this. It two implants better than one? How long it last?. I would like to hear from you. Thanks Wilf.

Hello Wiflauriel - and welcome to the Hearpeers :)

Regarding your question, present results back up as a fact that bilateral implantation improve speech intelligibility and enable holo-location. But this presume a lot of specific efforts to revive individual's ability to hear.  

Duration of surgery depends on surgeon skill - it can be finished in 3h. :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Willflaurier. I was just implanted I can tell it's definitely a journey not to be taken lightly. With that said, I wouldn't change it for the world. It takes time patience and perseverance. From all the CI-Borgs here we wish you the best of luck.

Now with is two better than one? Well if we have two eyes two ears two arms and two legs and two kidneys and two nostrils! Twos are definitely more favourable. As it will increase the ability to hear where sounds are coming from and boost the capabilities of the processors to give you the best resilts. Adam would have more input than me.

• HearPeers Heroes

First let me welcome you to hear peers. This is a great community of folks from all over the world that are at different stages in their hearing journey.

Deciding on the first surgery as well as going bilateral is a very personal decision. Each person has their own reasons for moving forward or sticking with one. Whatever you choose is the right choice for you.

I have been bilateral for over 4 years. My hospital does not do both at the same time so I am bilateral sequential, meaning I had one surgery, was activated then months later had the 2nd surgery. I have had a lot of surgeries in my life so that didn't phase me a bit. I knew I wanted to hear in stereo again so I knew right out of the gate that I was going to go for 2.

After I had been activated with the first one, I thought there was no way it could get any better than this. That couldn't have been further from the truth. When I got activated with the 2nd CI, everything sounded so much crisper, clearer and fuller than with one. My sound location improved immensely!

All that to say, for me it was definitely the right decision. I hope this helps you figure things out. Whatever choice you make, we will be here to support and encourage you.

Have a great day!

Your bionic buddy,

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

I have just read these lines of the inventor of the FMT Mr. Geoffrey Ball, a vital part of the Vibrant Soundbridge and Bonebridge, who has a sensori-neural hearing loss.

This what he said next in the interview:

Audiology journalist: What was it that convincedyou to have a second MEI?

Geoffrey Ball: Well, after only having the first implant for a few days, I thought the sound was so great, that I wanted more of it. In retrospect, adding the second unit was not at all a "one plus one equals two" sort of experience. It was more like "one plus one equals four". As good as the first one was, adding the second unit was infinitely better.

• HearPeers Heroes

Bilateral is awesome and I'm still a newbie in that journey.

• HearPeers Heroes

I am from upstate New York in the adirondack mountains. I currently live in Charleston South Carolina. South east on the coast. I miss the mountains

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana, thanks for the information on the conference. I usually have my appointment with my audiologist around that time and then go to Toronto for a few days. Maybe I will be able to attend.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana,

Are you planning on attending that conference?

• HearPeers Heroes

Adam,

Where in the Adirondacks? I'm in Plattsburgh.

• HearPeers Heroes

Cool I haven't hesrd of that conference before. I live an hour north of Toronto.

• HearPeers Heroes

Well, it's not certain now but there are some signals that I might come Mary Beth...:)

• HearPeers Heroes

I looked at the conference link it's quite expensive to go. 595$ for a non member. Are you a member Ivana?

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana,

As a Teacher of the Deaf I may attend also. If you are going, please let me know. I'd love to meet you face to face.

Mary Beth

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Too bad we all could get together to meet face to face. Maybe a video conference call.

• HearPeers Heroes

That would be so cool. What a great idea! If u make it to Toronto let me know we could arrange a meet.