Almost there...

MMahoney

Greetings all, my name is Mark Mahoney.  I have been reading your forum on and off for a couple of months, and just decided to get a Medel CI...

A little about myself...

I lost hearing in my right ear in July of 2019.  It was a sunday afternoon, at home watching TV went i noticed i suddenly wasn't hearing the tv...

I am already quite hard of hearing in my left ear, so it was very noticeable when it happened.

I went to the emergency room about an hour later, and was checked in.  I got the usual checks, stroke, cancer, tumors etc..

Nothing turned up and i was released the next day after meeting with a Hearing Dr who said it was likely permanent, but that we could schedule some steroid shots in my ear drum...  We did one, and went from 100% hearing loss to about 95%. Meaning i can hear a jet engine, or really low sounds, if amplified heavily...  but there is no sound recognition.   

We tried one more shot about 10 days later with no real benefit.  the Dr at that time said it wasn't likely that further shots would help...

I got setup to meet with the audiologist and decided to get a bicross hearing aid system, and that took a few days to arrive but it definitely helped me with my anxiety about what had happened to my life...  

Now nearly 3 years later, i feel as if my life has gotten smaller.  I don't really go out (covid sure doesn't help), when i do i struggle to interact with others.  So i decided to look into a CI.  

After reading for a while, i decided to meet with an Audiologist from Cochlear, who talked with me about the process.  He made one comment that slowed me down, and caused me to look at these forums, and Medel once again.  HIs comment was that with a CI, that music would sound strange.  Now music is not one of my MAIN goals, but from reading on this forum it sounds like many of you have good stories about being able to enjoy music again after getting a Medel CI.  So i met with the Audiologist from CI and have elected to get there technology.

I am going for a MRI on April 29th, and will be scheduling my surgery for sometime in late may (i hope), i would have gone sooner, but i have a trip planned to the UK in mid May...

If anyone has any stories or information to add about music, or their experiences with music, and entertainment (movies, shows tv, etc) i would love to hear them.

Thanks all

Looking forward to what comes next!

• HearPeers Heroes

@MMahoney

congratulations on your decision to get a CI.  Wishing you the best.

Where are you located?  I am in the US and go to New York Eye and Ear in NYC.

Are you choosing Rondo 3 or Sonnet 2?

We have our own HearPeers GoogleMeet captioned monthly meeting coming up on May 1 if you are interested in chatting with other Med-El CI users.  We are a friendly group.

I will tag you where I posted links to various online ways I have shared my CI journey.  Feel free to ask questions.

Welcome, MMahoney

Best of luck with your CI.  My procedure went really well, and I am working on exercises to slowly improve my hearing with the CI. 
I got my Med-El Sonnet 2 implanted in February 2022 as recommended by my audiologist for my particular needs.   I vaguely remember them saying something about a slightly better warranty or better customer support with Med-El too.  He explained a few options, but I went with his recommendation because I did not have a lot of time to do research.  
Since I have single-sided deafness with good hearing in the other ear, I can't help you on the quality of music.  It's also too soon for me to tell.  I do not have any annoying sounds from the device when I listen to music.   
The Med-El site does have a lot of information on their website if you click around.  
I also found information on mycochlear.com about music, but I haven't read that yet since I'm concentrating on speech sounds.  I think it's under Practice Tools, then click on The Communications Corner.  

Kellie

On 4/20/2022 at 6:53 AM, Mary Beth said:

@MMahoney

congratulations on your decision to get a CI.  Wishing you the best.

Where are you located?  I am in the US and go to New York Eye and Ear in NYC.

Are you choosing Rondo 3 or Sonnet 2?

We have our own HearPeers GoogleMeet captioned monthly meeting coming up on May 1 if you are interested in chatting with other Med-El CI users.  We are a friendly group.

I will tag you where I posted links to various online ways I have shared my CI journey.  Feel free to ask questions.

Hi Mary Beth, I am in Houston Tx.  I am getting one of each, as that seems to be what many people do...

Thank you so much for your help!