Learned something new the other day

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Surprisingly

The sonnet does not like to fall 20 feet onto a tile floor.

I was working on the top of the Christmas tree we have in the foyer at work. It is 25' tall. My sonnet got caught in some decorations we had hanging from the ceiling and fell off. Of course it did not fall into the lift I was in. It went all the way to the ground.

By looking at it, it looked absolutely fine. I put it on but it didn't work. As it turns out, we thought the control unit was bad. I talked to Medel and that is what we were thinking after doing some troubleshooting. They sent me a new control unit overnight. Got it the next day. Put everything on it and the stinker didn't work. After changing things one at a time, realized the coil was not working. The control unit was fine.

I was very impressed with a couple of things.

1) MEDELs customer service is absolutely AMAZING. This phone call took place after hours. They have an on call audiologist to help people out. How cool is that. She was totally awesome. Very impressed.

I called again the next day to let them know that it was the coil and not the control unit. They said not a problem at all, put the coil in the mail and I should have it by Monday.

The durability of the Sonnet was very impressive. That is a VERY long way to fall. I picked it up and it looked brand new.

Also, this time has reminded me how much I really appreciate having 2 processors. There is such a difference from one to two processors. If you just have one, I would strongly suggest going bilateral.

Well done MEDEL

• HearPeers Heroes

Wow Adam that is amazing. I was just saying today that reports always state the benefits of having bilateral cochlear implants are:

Hearing in noise

Localizing sounds

Summative benefit of hearing with two "ears"

Head shadow

Knowing that the "best ear" was implanted

But they rarely mention the psychological benefit of having two CIs. Knowing that if something happened to one implant, we can still function well with the other one while things get sorted out. That hearing safety net is a significant benefit of being bilateral to me. In the rare cases when the internal implant needs to be replaced, the user is out of commission for at least one month and most likely longer. Knowing that if that was to happen, I can function fine with my other CI is a great relief.

After depending on only one fading ear for decades, I can not articulate how reassuring it is to be bilateral.

I'm glad you received such great customer service after hours Adam.

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

I think it is similar to say a sudden hearing loss in one ear. If you are used to hearing with 2 processors then one goes down, it can be a challenge adapting.

Also look at environment.

I don't wear my processors 24/7 at the house. I have no problem walking around without them on 1st thing in the morning. If I am out in public and my processor batteries start to die and I realize I don't have spares, there is that slight panic for a second.

One thing I have noticed at work today is my lip reading isn't nearly as good as it was before the implants. I guess like anything it is a diminishing skill. Use it or lose it. Haven't needed it so I guess I'm getting a little rusty

• HearPeers Heroes

You describe the unlucky episode so cool although my first thought was: Oh no - not again...

You should really think about better securing your CI units. ;):)

• HearPeers Heroes

Get a hair net or shower cap or something like that.

• HearPeers Heroes

I thought so!!! Lol does med el have a special "thing" head band etc to help hold then in place during strenuous exercise?? Maybe that's an option.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yup, MedEl has a sportsband but that has pockets designed more for the Rondos I believe. I have one and used it at the beach. There are inside pockets that hold the Rondos and then you position it so it's over your magnet.

• HearPeers Heroes

Not to criticize Med El but I think cochlear has one for CI's. Could check it out.

• HearPeers Heroes

Wow, you were lucky Adam, especially when it fell that far. I think Medel is great. I've had a couple of instances where I had to send both the Rondo and the finetuner back and have had a replacement within a couple of days. You have to be careful with the sportsband. Even though I measured to make sure I received the right size, it didn't fit and was non-refundable. Going bilateral sounds great but unfortunately not an option for adults in Ontario at this time. I asked if I paid for it myself but not a positive answer. Hopefully, in the future the healthcare system will change.

• HearPeers Heroes

Gotcha, too bad you couldn't come to the U.S. To get the 2nd

• HearPeers Heroes

Well - what about a safety pin by Thomas who secured his Bonebridge via pierced way? ;):)

• HearPeers Heroes

Ouch that would be painful.

Well, painful as much as it is for women when we have earrings...

• HearPeers Heroes

Yeah, I'll pass on that

Or expensive... :)

• HearPeers Heroes

I probably could Adam but I think the cost would be astronomical. I would probably have to re-mortgage my house. I think I'll wait and see if the medical professionals can convince the government beauracrats. I did ask if I could pay for it but was told no, at this time they were committed to new patients and adults were only allowed one. It's fine with me and at least another person will benefit like I have.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, everyone!

As far as CI's falling off.  If you have not heard of The HearClip, you must go on line (www.thehearclip.com) and check it out.  Wonderful types of clips that can be used on both Rondo and Sonet or any BHI unit.  All styles, type of metals, colors, diamonds! etc.  Chains can be single or multiple. I first used the original clip that came with my unit which I changed to a small hair clip which always got tangled up in my hair.  When my audi gave me the information on the HearClip I sent away for it ASAP.  I have since ordered my second one.  Such fun to wear and never have to worry about it getting caught in my hair or how to hide it.  It slips over the edge of your ear and I have had people ask me where I got such a great earring! 

• HearPeers Heroes

Mmmm... Very interesting...! Tnx for sharing! :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Putzie, I will be sure to check it out. Thanks so much.