Bilateral blog

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

It's a great blog Maty Beth. I liked the pic too.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Mary Beth. I tried to click on the link to read your story but could not get to it.  I got my first CI September 2014 and now am deciding to go bilateral.  I am doing good with my first and think I have come to a cross roads.  I signed up with hear peers when I first got my CI but never took the time to talk with anyone, BIG mistake, just tried to deal with the newness the best I could, very much alone. Oh my audiologist was and is great.  I give her the credit for this turn about that I have had after a long talk with her at my last visit.  I ended up feeling always like the odd girl out, long story, but here I am seeking out information and peoples stories about their journeys.  I am not real technical and sometimes when I read everyone's post and they sound so informed and technical about it I get nervous and feel out of place.  But I realize now that the more I talk with and read what others write about their journeys, the more informed I will be. I am not on the computer much and need to be.  I read someone had a Facebook page for fellow CI users, how do I find that? I need to get involved and informed, stop feeling like the odd girl out and jump in as me.  So onward and upward I go, any help will be appreciated.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello Christine - welcome to the Hearpeers! :)

I am not Mary Beth but we're here pretty jolly gang and often all involve to speak with a new member.

About your questions, if you can't go straight to Mary Beth's story through the provided link try this: open Google, write Med-EL Blog, when Google open first page with results, pick the headline Guest articles under Med-El Blig website and there look after her story. This is indirect way.

Also, similar you can do on FB: just write Med-EL, you'll get some options between you can choose an official FB page of Med-EL but also one FB page which also has Med-El in the title. There are many more users because official site is not practical for questions of users - little bit hard to find it.

• HearPeers Heroes

It's okay to go as fast or as slow you can track a technical details - just take your time or as much as you like to know: there are always people who know something different or more - it's ok until we share our knowledge. :)

• HearPeers Heroes

HI Christie! Welcome to hear peers !! Glad to hear your journey is going well!! Please ask as many questions as you want! I am new wee too! I was implanted in November of 2015. Activated on December 1 2015. I always love to what others stories and make new friends!! I have made many here!! Some are very knowledgable and I am getting the hang of the different lingos!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Christine, welcome to hearpeers

I am bilateral and also have a few posts on the Medel blog sharing some of my story.

Every one of us was where you are now. That is why hearpeers is a great community. Who better to talk to than people that have walked in your shoes. I would be more than happy to answer any questions you have about going bilateral. Looking forward to getting to know you.

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Also this site has an awful lot of great information. If there is anything you don't understand, feel free to ask. There are no stupid questions! Here you are no longer the odd girl out. You are part of a family of people that had all the same questions, concerns and anxiety of this journey that you had.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Christine,

Nice to have you here. Try this link: http://www.medel.com/blog/bilateral-cochlear-implants-mary-beths-story/

This is a safe place to ask any and all questions and to share your thoughts and experiences along the way. Many of us started on boards as the people who were asking the questions. Over time we ended up becoming people who also can answer other people's questions but still keep asking new questions ourselves. In other words, we have all been in your shoes and know how overwhelming this journey can be at times.

Med El has its own Facebook page. It can be found by typing in MedEl on Facebook. It's an open site so you don't have to ask to join it.

There are many Facebook groups about CIs on Facebook too. One group that is for CI users with MedEl CIs is called the MedEl Cochlear Implant Discussion Group. Lots of great MedEl CI users and parents of kids with MedEl CIs in that group. Search for it on Facebook and then click Ask to Join.

There is a definite life altering process that goes along with significant hearing loss and then gaining hearing through CIs. The journey changes many of us from avoiders of social interactions to seekers out of social interactions. Sometimes it is only after we gain hearing abilities that we find that some qualities about ourselves were not actually part of our personalities but rather related to our hearing abilities.

Feel free to share as much as you want about your hearing journey with us. We are a great group of supporters.

Wishing you the best,

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Christine, welcome to Hearpeers. As you can see we are a very friendly group. We will help in any way we can.