Finally implanted

dsmerritt

Well I took the plunge and got implanted yesterday. To be honest I almost walked out of theatre as I was petrified, but stuck with it. Apparently they had lots of issues with the implant due to the skin graft from my previous ear reconstruction surgery but it's in place so the ENT is happy. Pain is kind of under control so feeling more positive now :-)

Will keep you updated with my journey! Thanks for your support so far.

• HearPeers Heroes

I'm glad that is behind you. Rest well.

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello dsmeritt,

Excellent news - yes, ears reconstruction can alter vascular path which actually dictate surgical planing.

Now, just rest and wait patiently your activation. :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Yay!! Glad to hear the worst is over. Rest up and wait for activation!! It's a wild ride!!!

Good for you!

I recently took the plunge as well (about a month ago). Felt pain for 24 hours. Swelling (ear) lasted about 5 or 6 days. I experienced numbness around the surgical area of approx. 10 days. I don't know what I was expecting, but the surgery/recovery was much better than I expected! I get my processor on Dec. 30.

My advice?? Be patient :)

Good luck on the 30th Ross! My pain is still hanging around but I expect that is due to some of the complications they faced getting it in place. It's nice and discreet though which I like. Each day I feel better but looking forward to complete recovery.

Ivana do you know what they would be referring to when they talk about bluelined re the surgery? It's mentioned in my notes but no idea what it means!

Cheers

Darrelle

• HearPeers Heroes

Good luck on the 30th Ross! My pain is still hanging around but I expect that is due to some of the complications they faced getting it in place. It's nice and discreet though which I like. Each day I feel better but looking forward to complete recovery.

Ivana do you know what they would be referring to when they talk about bluelined re the surgery? It's mentioned in my notes but no idea what it means!

Cheers

Darrelle

Hello Darrelle,

well, blue line or blue-lined means - leading line but it has to be connected (I guess) with some intra-operative finding. If you can quote little bit more, perhaps it could help me to be more specific. ;):)

• HearPeers Heroes

Good luck on the 30th, Ross. What a great way to start off the new year! Keep us posted and don't forget, ask any questions,; we are here to support each other's in this awesome journey!

Thanks Ivana. It says that 'anterior to sigmoid bone removed - posterior scc may have been bluelined, no exposure' and 'posterior semicircle canal ? Bluelined'

All mambo jambo to me hahaha

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks Ivana. It says that 'anterior to sigmoid bone removed - posterior scc may have been bluelined, no exposure' and 'posterior semicircle canal ? Bluelined'

All mambo jambo to me hahaha

Ah, now it is clear - it just mean a certain surgical finding where your surgeon have seen marked posterior SCC. This doesn't have to mean anything bad, just surgeons usually like to underline finding which they remind during the surgery. That's why they cleared possible misunderstanding by stating the fact that the aformentioned SCC is intact. :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Hey Darrelle,

Congratulations on joining our elite club!

When's your activation day? Where are you from?

I live in Newtown, NSW and go to SCIC for my checkups.

Keep us posted.

Matt

Hi Matt! I'm in Perth. No idea activation day yet. I guess I won't find out till my checkup on the 5th Jan :-)

• HearPeers Heroes

Ok thank you!!

Keeping fingers crossed - so the activation goes smoothly... :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Matt! I'm in Perth. No idea activation day yet. I guess I won't find out till my checkup on the 5th Jan :-)

Well, it's approximately a month after the implantation. :)

That's how it was with me so there is no reason why it wouldn't be same for you. ;)