This is a good read

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes Adam it was a good read. Very short and to the point. I would say before I came to hear peers and the face book group I was essentially alone in my world of deafness. I generally did quite well except waiting for a date for my implant. That was very hard on me. It seemed that the hospital had all this power to decide when I would be able to hear again. I am now quite thankful for my new found friends and this new journey it will take awhile to get back Out of this Depressive feeling that still tends to creep in but it's definitely improving!!

• HearPeers Heroes

It was a very good read, Adam. I must admit though that for the first 30 years it didn't bother me as I lip read from the time I was 7. I didn't know things like being able to hear your own voice and no one ever told me you could. What a shock when all these sounds bombarded me! Refrigerator, fans, the sound of walking across a room! I'm surprised more people aren't deaf just from listening to them. One comment in the article caught my attention "Why me?". I asked this question of my sister-in-law (she wasn't trying to be insensitive, just realistic) five years ago when I had major surgery for another ailment and her response was "Why not you?". A very profound statement. Everything happens for a reason. Reading all the comments from each and everyone on this forum, we are now the advocates for cochlear implants, bonebridge and whatever comes next.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Exactly. But much. More also. We are a support group!! I don't know what I would do without you guys!! I am starting to feel needed here as well for others!!

• HearPeers Heroes

It was a very good read, Adam. I must admit though that for the first 30 years it didn't bother me as I lip read from the time I was 7. I didn't know things like being able to hear your own voice and no one ever told me you could. What a shock when all these sounds bombarded me! Refrigerator, fans, the sound of walking across a room! I'm surprised more people aren't deaf just from listening to them. One comment in the article caught my attention "Why me?". I asked this question of my sister-in-law (she wasn't trying to be insensitive, just realistic) five years ago when I had major surgery for another ailment and her response was "Why not you?". A very profound statement. Everything happens for a reason. Reading all the comments from each and everyone on this forum, we are now the advocates for cochlear implants, bonebridge and whatever comes next.

Like Alice in the Wonderland! :D

• HearPeers Heroes

This is true Samdy

Even the most resilient person will have doubts and low moments. It has happened to me for sure. Usually doesn't last long. As you said, things happen for a reason. Everything can be used for good. This is why now, whenever I am in the hospital, I don't care how bad I feel. I a, going to talk to every person that walks into my room. You never know. Say the person that comes into my room to clean up or something might REALLY need to hear a word of encouragement. I am not going to miss an opportunity to speak into some bodies life as we never know what others are going through.

• HearPeers Heroes

As a person who has never heard "normal" I can say that this is an ordinary process of grieving although it usually results with wrong feeling - desire for passed time and then a huge feeling of sadness.... which actually doesn't bring much. However, it's natural feeling. Psychologists are talking about 5 steps of overcoming the grief.

• HearPeers Heroes

Exactly Ivana. I had to learn this the hard way early on which was the passing of my parents. Having said that I see it used for the simple things in life now. Like when you get a grey hair for example. Or if you gain some weight. If you get really sick. The five steps of great are actually used more often than people really acknowledge.

• HearPeers Heroes

People are not used with that practice but the biggest problem is that they stay caught in one of phases, never got out of that stage.