Deaf or Hard of Hearing (DHoH) Otorhinolaryngologists :)

Ivana Marinac

• HearPeers Heroes

I have found an interested text in the ENT Today journal - it's basically about deaf or hard of hearing doctors and their adaptations of the assistive technology like stethoscopes or real time caption machines but... I have found that I am not alone... :huh:  ^_^  :D

A text presented to ENT's - Dr. John Dornhoffer from Arkansas who still doesn't, and Dr.Paul E. Hammerschlag from New York who is implanted with cochlear implant almost 1 and 1/2 year ago. They both dedicated their lives to the extraordinary field of otorhinolaryngology!  :P  :D 

http://www.enttoday.org/article/hearing-impaired-physicians-tap-technology-to-improve-communication/?singlepage=1

• HearPeers Heroes

No Ivana you are not alone

My audiologist that treated me for the last 20 years has a very severe hearing loss and I know others in the medical field, doctors, nurses, audiologists that have some form of hearing loss

• HearPeers Heroes

One of my audiologists when dealing with the vertigo issues was deaf since very early age and had two CIs

• HearPeers Heroes

No Ivana you are not alone

My audiologist that treated me for the last 20 years has a very severe hearing loss and I know others in the medical field, doctors, nurses, audiologists that have some form of hearing loss

Adam, I knew that I am not alone within the field of medicine - I just have never heard for deaf or hard of hearing otorhinolaryngologist. Most of DHoH choose peaceful and not so intensive specialties like family or pediatric medicine or epidemiology. That's why I refered strictly to the specialty of Ear, Nose and Throat because of work where you don't have ideal acoustic like in surgical room, or sound of drill like Dr. explained although you have overcome the problem of actual hearing of lung and heart. Or you can't read lips during surgery or don't hear facial nerve monitor. :)

• HearPeers Heroes

One of my audiologists when dealing with the vertigo issues was deaf since very early age and had two CIs

I also know a woman with same medical history like mine who took Audiology classes and after that went to a medical school but now she is working within the field of family medicine - less stressful specialty. :)