Video by Geoffery ball

Kara of Canada

• HearPeers Heroes

That was pretty cool. Can't say that I know too many people that would opt for local anesthesia.

• HearPeers Heroes

And Bonebridge too Kara. Great video - great people: Mr. Ball and Prof. Mlynski as well. :D

Mr. Ball discussed very thoroughly in his autobiography book how his life leaded him toward his invention - and how, by the twist of nature and really great stories, his invention almost was condemned to fail. Then - a great twist of fate came...;I)

we have already talked about it in the Bonebridge section - http://forum.hearpeers.com/index.php?/topic/395-awarded-inventor-geoffrey-r-ball/

• HearPeers Heroes

That was pretty cool. Can't say that I know too many people that would opt for local anesthesia.

Well, from the surgical point of view it's like stapedotomy. But, I agree - to be in peace all the time during the operation... :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Amazing how what can be perceived as a bad thing can end up helping so many

• HearPeers Heroes

His personal hearing loss and isolation led him on a quest to fix it.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

I felt quite moved by the video. It feels more real somehow not just someone inventing something for others but for himself also!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Some people would consider losing your hearing bad or at the least very challenging. Sometimes these challenging times brings out something in us that can help impact many.

• HearPeers Heroes

His personal hearing loss and isolation led him on a quest to fix it.

Tnx for clarification MB! ;)

Actually it started so accidently that you can't believe while you read the book: he accidently saw an advertise that Stanford University offered an assistant position. He actually found out at the conversation for a job that a person in front of him is a legendary Prof. Goode who was involved in many researches and at the same time surgeon at the Otolaryngology Clinic. :D 

I have read even some papers about conductive hearing loss from him or from the group who worked over summer in his laboratories at STanford.

• HearPeers Heroes

Some people would consider losing your hearing bad or at the least very challenging. Sometimes these challenging times brings out something in us that can help impact many.

Sorry Adam - I didn't know what did you mean by bad thing... I understand the implications... ;)

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana,

What's the title of his autobiography ?

• HearPeers Heroes

That was cool. Adam, when I had hip replacement, I was awake during both the surgery. Just glad I hadn't had the CI at that time. I didn't have to hear what was going on.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yeah I am not sure how that would go. Did the give you a spinal Sandy?

• HearPeers Heroes

Sandy,

I guess it is all a matter of perspective. What are you going to do with the cards you are dealt

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana,

What's the title of his autobiography ?

"No more laughing to the deaf boy" - I got it thankfully to the curtesy of Med-EL directly. :)

I am not sure if it is on the free market.

• HearPeers Heroes

Mr. Ball was already operated before so the approach already exists - it was just needed to raise the flap and approach to the ossicles chain.

Approach for implanting Soundbridge is largely the approach for a cochlear implant either you approach to the chain or surgeon decide to implant the FMT directly to the round window.

• HearPeers Heroes

Make sense Ivana. And Adam I agree!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Orthopaedic surgery can be very brutal. I watched few a long time ago. It was a broken femur upper leg bone. They used chains and drills and a lot manual manipulation!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks Ivana,

I found it used and it will arrive in a week.

Mary Beth

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Make sense Ivana. And Adam I agree!!

These days I am completely lost, :( pardon me but I don't follow you - what makes sense? :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks Ivana,

I found it used and it will arrive in a week.

Mary Beth

Excellent, although I got a copy much earlier it waited until I have passed my exams.

To me, the book is very interesting - an amazing life path which was mold by incredibly logical circumstances.