Activation Day

Elbras

Hello everyone,

My Sonet sound processor was activated and the first word I heard without lip reading was Ice Cream!

It sound like an echo now, but I can get by with some lip reading;

Hubby and I had a 1-1/2 hour drive home, so we put some music on that I was familiar with. I could not make out the words, but I got the beat & rythmn correct.

• HearPeers Heroes

Elbras - you know that second smiley is not a cake nor the chocolate ice-cream?  :D  - Just a joke... ;)  :P

Excellent! It's very good for a start!  :)  Is it loud enough? Is there some unexpected sounds that possibly bothers you?  :blink:

• HearPeers Heroes

Oh Elaine that is so awesome!!! Glad to hear it went well!!

Ivana,

It is loud enough. Audi said it was average or somewhere in the middle. Right now my hubby is playing pac-man on his iPad and that is bothering me...oh but he must have fun too!

I heard the microwave timer go off but I didn't hear it go on. Our kitchen exhaust fan which was noisy with bilateral hearing aids, did not make any noise. But I am pleased just to hear any speech.

Tomorrow we start with exercises.

I find that these plastic parts are fragile and I am afraid to push or pull them.. i am concerned that I will break something

Elaine

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana,

It is loud enough. Audi said it was average or somewhere in the middle. Right now my hubby is playing pac-man on his iPad and that is bothering me...oh but he must have fun too!

I heard the microwave timer go off but I didn't hear it go on. Our kitchen exhaust fan which was noisy with bilateral hearing aids, did not make any noise. But I am pleased just to hear any speech.

Tomorrow we start with exercises.

I find that these plastic parts are fragile and I am afraid to push or pull them.. i am concerned that I will break something

Elaine

It's made to last Elaine - don't worry. :)

It's good - step by step, it doesn't matter if you don't here from the start. Most likely audi started without annoying high frequencies. 

Great decision brand new start on the brand new day. Just familiarizing for today... :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Great start Elaine! I know what you mean about the Sonnet battery covers. They are designed differently than past processors- most likely due to the water resistance. A few people have had them crack. Just make sure you have the orientation correct before pushing it on. The air vents line up with the cable.

Enjoy your new hearing! Sounds like an awesome start.

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Congratulations Elaine. Let the journey begin. It gets better and better! Keep us informed and ask us anything. We are here to support you.

Thank you all so much!

Audi told me that a decade ago, I would not have been a candidate, since I was not considered deaf. But a sensorineural hearing loss in high frequencies really limits your freedoms tremendously.

Glad the parameters have changed and health insurance is on board!

Elaine

• HearPeers Heroes

Elaine

So happy for you!!!

It is going to take some time to get used to the new sounds you are hearing.

Music took the longest for me. What sounds loud now, by the end of the week will sound soft. It is a lot like standing in a pitch dark room. If somebody turns a light on, it is overpowering until you get used to it.

Your brain is the same way with new sounds. What sounds loud now, in a week or so will sound soft.

Please let us know how things are going. So happy for you.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thank you all so much!

Audi told me that a decade ago, I would not have been a candidate, since I was not considered deaf. But a sensorineural hearing loss in high frequencies really limits your freedoms tremendously.

Glad the parameters have changed and health insurance is on board!

Elaine

Of course - especially female voice or children. :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Metallic objects and dishes clanking together. That was the loud unbearable sounds for me.

• HearPeers Heroes

Luckily Kara, those sounds will settle down

Congratulations Elaine!!

This is what I will be doing for a while... Trying not to lip read like I've been doing for 54 years!

Downloaded Angel Sound app. Some words do not even come close to what I am hearing but I don't expect to hear the high freq sounds. Maybe the next tweaking the Audi will give me more high freq.

Some words I can make out, especially when the word starts out with a strong sound like "da" or "go"

Lots of fun!

Elaine

• HearPeers Heroes

Elaine,

At first it's easier to begin with the AB CLIX app.

• HearPeers Heroes

I agree. Different levels of difficulty.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes ABCLIX begins at the level of recognizing how many parts are in a word, and then slowly advances from there. I always suggest people start with ABCLIX and after they have mastered several of the early levels (there are 9 levels) add in iAngel Sounds.

Have fun training!

• HearPeers Heroes

Also be sure to write things down as far as what the sounds sound like as well as location. Basically as much detail as you can. This will really help with your next mapping

Great advice above. Thanks folks!

A neighbor came in to visit with me. I tried to converse with her with just the CI. It took me about 10 mins to get use to her voice, but then I could follow her as time went along. Eventually, I got tired so I put my hearing aid in my right ear.

It certainly helps when you have people supporting you in this and are willing to be patient with you.

Elaine

• HearPeers Heroes

Elaine,

That was what it was like for me. People that I did not talk to all the time, it took a while to get used to it. Of course by then I would start getting tired form trying to concentrate so hard on what they are saying. Talk to that person at least once a week. Every time you talk, it will get a little easier. Well done!!!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Elaine, I find that if I'm by myself for a day and don't communicate with anyone, voices sound tinny. After a few minutes though, it becomes normal.

Yes, Sandy, I agree. My own husband sounds different when we don't talk for a while..but after a few minutes, he sounds ok.

Well tomorrow I go to church, and we shall see how that works out. i know I won't be able to sing the hymns, but hopefully I will hear the sermon!!

Elaine

• HearPeers Heroes

The voice quality issue seems to resolve itself over time. With my right CI (activated 10 months) everyone sounds normal no matter how long it's been since I listened to people.

Singing........well for me pitch perception took more time. However I noticed a significant improvement in pitch perception after I went bilateral. It's still not settled completely but it is markedly better.

Elaine- you are doing great.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Don't expect it to happen over night Elaine. It took a month for me to hear a sermon. And I have taken a step backwards. So it will Take some more time to get there again.