Dental work and cochlear implant

Cara Mia

• HearPeers Heroes

Would appreciate if somebody shares the personal experience how is feels to have a dental work with CI.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Cara,

What kind of dental work?

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello Cara,

Yes - you mean the sound of drill or possible effect of hearing during the drilling or ...?

• HearPeers Heroes

I wonder if drilling makes me feel something weird inside my head. But it is interesting to know in advance how drilling affects the ability to hear the dentist.

At some reasons all my dentists liked to talk to me while drilling despite they know that I barely can hear them in a quiet settings.

And they always like to ask the questions when my mouth is full with tampons and instruments :)

• HearPeers Heroes

About a week ago I had a routine dental appointment. The dental hygienist wore a mask and spoke to me non-stop while music was playing from a radio a few feet away. I was amazed that I understood everything she said! These CIs are amazing! Now, I have not experienced drilling yet so I can not comment on that.

• HearPeers Heroes

Well, if it is not comfortable, you can always turn off a CI? :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Smile. Yes we can. A benefit of our removable ears!

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

I have never had dental work don't so I can't really say. I hope all works out for you.

• HearPeers Heroes

Smile. Yes we can. A benefit of our removable ears!

Yes...:D :D

• HearPeers Heroes

Well, if it is not comfortable, you can always turn off a CI? :)

Ha, it's easy, like the opportunities the removable ears can provide..... just wondering if any kind of autophony possible. Silly :)

Thank you for all your replies. I got manage to redo my two old fillings before surgery. Hope I won't need it for many years after that. Just became curious about that while was sitting in the dental chair.

• HearPeers Heroes

Cara, I'm sure those fillings will last quite a long time. If it is a concern, I would touch base with your surgeon before a surgery or fillings.

• HearPeers Heroes

Ha, it's easy, like the opportunities the removable ears can provide..... just wondering if any kind of autophony possible. Silly :)

Thank you for all your replies. I got manage to redo my two old fillings before surgery. Hope I won't need it for many years after that. Just became curious about that while was sitting in the dental chair.

Of course - sorry, usually always try to find fast solution.

I think there shouldn't be autophony but this also depends on certain mapping - something what you might not experience regularly.

• HearPeers Heroes

I got it that it is not going to be my regular experience. Good to know.

I remind myself some lines from Jerome K Jerome "I never read a patent medicine advertisement without being impelled to the conclusion that I am suffering from the particular disease therein dealt with in its most virulent form." :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Yep

Let us know how it goes. Knock on wood, I have not had any dental issues yet but would be nice to know what to expect

• HearPeers Heroes

I got it that it is not going to be my regular experience. Good to know.

I remind myself some lines from Jerome K Jerome "I never read a patent medicine advertisement without being impelled to the conclusion that I am suffering from the particular disease therein dealt with in its most virulent form." :)

:D

I totally give up - I fell in love with your sense of humour...;)

• HearPeers Heroes

The great thing about having a ci as opposed to the conventional hearing aid is that the ci does NOT whistle while mouth is open wide.

• HearPeers Heroes

The great thing about having a ci as opposed to the conventional hearing aid is that the ci does NOT whistle while mouth is open wide.

Oh, I didn't know that HA whistles with mouth open. I am lucky not to hear it. Feel for my dentist :lol:

Hi Laurence and welcome to HPs.

• HearPeers Heroes

I had it happen to me Cara. The ear mold has to have a good seal and fit. In my case I had an ear mold for quite a while then started getting a lot of feedback and whistling.

I was told that as we get older, our ear canals change a little as the skin becomes looser. Since the mold didn't fit, I had new ones made and that solved the problem for me.

Luckily you don't have to worry about that anymore.