Recognising the Source of Sound

Mr-LJ

• HearPeers Heroes

Okay, mainly aimed at you guys who have two identical cochlear implants.

Question: Are you able to look instantly towards where a sound is coming from? Let me try to be a little more clear in what I am asking....

With my opus2 and conventional hearing aid... I just cannot make out where a sound is coming from. For example.... I hear a very distinguished aircraft flying somewhere overhead, an RAF Spitfire! but for the life of me I just cannot see it nor recognise which direction it is flying, so frustrating! When I do eventually get to see it... it is just flying over the horizon. So frustrating!  :angry:

But yet when I had two conventional hearing aids on, both being identical... I could instantly look to where it was, or going to or coming from. I am guessing that this would be the same with two identical implants.

I'd like to learn of your experiences regarding something like this....  :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Okay but realize I'm new at this skill. I had absolutely no hearing in my right ear for 24 years before it was implanted so it's been a very long time since I heard with two ears.

I went bilateral two and a half months ago. My new CI is still settling in and I am moving up to stronger programs still each week but it is approaching balanced hearing now.

Last week I was teaching at the university. There were 23 students sitting in a U shape. It was before class started and I was at a table off to the side in the front of the room writing notes. I heard someone's cell phone go off. Immediately I looked at the correct person. She was embarrassed that her phone went off. I was amazed that I immediately located the sound source!

Your mileage may vary.

• HearPeers Heroes

If I can protest a little bit - this forum is not just for the users of cochlear implants Laurence.

Hololocation is problem of both type of hearing loss.

Secondly, are we talking about same type of the processor? Opus2&Sonnet? Number of microphones at HAs?