Revaccination with pneumocaccal vaccine

Cara Mia

• HearPeers Heroes

Is there any schedule when to get a PPSV booster after the initial vactination for CI surgery?

My nurse could not answer this question clearly even after spending 15 minutes on her computer.

Is it common practice to be vaccinated with "kid vaccine" - I am not sure what it is, perhaps PPS13. 

As my husband got the nurse, I got some "kid vaccine". Now it can be possible that I need to get the adult vaccine (PPSV23 ?) about 8 weeks after the first shot. Then, she told that I may need to get revaccinated in one year after that.....

After I googled this topic I found some info, but it is mostly regarding the vaccination schedule for a children who are CI recipients. The general recommendation for adults is to be revaccinated once in 5 years. 

Does anybody know anything about it? Thank you.

• HearPeers Heroes

Best if you check with your CI center directly. I had to get two different vaccines separated by a specific amount of time. I need a booster at age 65.

• HearPeers Heroes

I agree with Marybeth. Contact your surgeon.

I didn't have to get the vaccination. You don't want anything to delay the surgery so I would talk to somebody that can give you a definitive answer.

• HearPeers Heroes

I had the vaccine. It was fine with the surgeon. My GP said that she would give me another shot in a years time.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks for your responses. It sounds that I should get the second shot (in eight weeks from the first or in one year). And then another when I am 65.

I got my mandatory shot two weeks ago, so the issue with revaccination cannot delay my surgery.

Will discuss it with my CI team after surgery.

But not sure who I need to address it. It seems that my nurse doesn't have much experience with that, and I won't be surprised if it is not the surgeons area of interests.

Now I am sorry that I got that question in my mind and asked the nurse. Perhaps, the innocent ignorance would be best scenario in this situation :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Depending on which of the two types of vaccines you had first determines if you wait 8 weeks or 1 year for the second one. I'd discuss it with your CI surgeon.

• HearPeers Heroes

Agree - advising with your surgeon is most appropriate. This link is from CDC and there is a table (scroll down the website) so you can orientate yourself Cara until you do not get final recommendations. 

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/m2e731a1.htm#tab

• HearPeers Heroes

Thank you, Ivana, for the links. The latest is a definitely good read among others articles CDC posted on its website. Just need to add a disclaimer regarding the information posted in the first link - PCV7 is no longer available in the US. I believe PCV13 has replaced it. Will discuss my further steps on vaccination later with my surgeon for sure. Thanks everybody.

Kara,  from your experience and Adams' it seems that different CI centers have different policy on vaccination. It makes my exploring on this topic even more interesting - I want to know what docs have invented in Seattle for their patients sake compare to Canada and the East coast. :)

• HearPeers Heroes

These guidelines are still official and are recommendations at the website of American Academy of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery:

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5909a2.htm

and, interesting to read: http://www.entnet.org/sites/default/files/Cochlear-Implants-and-Meningitis-VaccinationFact-Sheet-update-November-2012.pdf

BUT you have already reminded that these are JUST recommendations but NOT must do.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks, Ivana, especially for the second link. it  answers all my questions regarding pneumococcal immunization for ADULT CI recipients very clearly.

And yes, I understand it is not mandatory things to follow but just recommendations. Thank you!

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks, Ivana, especially for the second link. it  answers all my questions regarding pneumococcal immunization for ADULT CI recipients very clearly.

And yes, I understand it is not mandatory things to follow but just recommendations. Thank you!

I just wanted to explain why there are different versions of "instructions" although we take vaccination as a serious issue. ;)

Well... Academy has to be precise as much as it is possible. 

• 4 weeks later...

Before my doctor office would even send the paperwork to the insurance company for the insurance company to decide if the surgery was medically necessary, I was required to get the meningitis shot and had to send in proof of that shot so that the doctor's office can include that proof with the rest of the paperwork they were going to submit to the insurance company.  When I went to get the shot, the nurse insisted that I get the shot for the flu and something else (this was not a nurse associated with my doctor's office).  I don't know if it was not suppose to be so (I did asked the nurse if that would cause a problem - even explained the surgery I was to have done).  She assured me it was fine.  So, I ended up getting three shots instead of one. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Mmm... Donna - you should definitely find out what was the purpose of that 3rd vaccine shot. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I'm not quite sure why I didn't get one. Maybe I was given something similar during one of my brain surgeries.

• HearPeers Heroes

No one has ever said anything to me about revaccination. I will ask at my next appointment.

• HearPeers Heroes

I'm not quite sure why I didn't get one. Maybe I was given something similar during one of my brain surgeries.

It would be quite unusual to get a shot during hospitalization or during/after operation. But, you Adam, should get it before all others, at least when you get well.

• HearPeers Heroes

I received the first one and daughter weeks later the second one. I will need a booster for the second one when I am 65.

• 5 months later...

The only shot they insist that I get before my first implant surgery was the meningitis shot.  They told me for the rest of my life I will have to get that shot every five years. 

• HearPeers Heroes

The CDC has a listing about vaccination recommendations for CI users,. Check it out.

• HearPeers Heroes

My surgeon mentioned that I should get the me elitist vaccine every 7-10 years. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I have never heard of getting revaccinated for meningitis. Maybe tetanus