Cara before and after surgery

Cara Mia

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi there,

Yahooooooooooo! I did it!

Back to you after my surgery. I think my surgery was a complete success. Everything was done fast with minimal discomfort.

Very well organized medical service - it took just four hours from the moment I left my home till getting back. My husband was unhappy with that because he had not enough time to answer all work emails and he managed to get just two cups of coffee with three cake slices in clinic cafeteria ( kind of short term binge eating disorder) :) .

But as a matter of fact he was much more nervous about my surgery than I.

I am fine and happy. Have no any balance problem, no tinnitus or headache. Surprisingly I even didn't feel my incision - just something from my implant area. I don't need any pain killers. Several times I felt fullness in my implanted ear , but it last only for seconds. And there is almost no bump on my head. It is perceived as my original skull relief. My sense of taste in not changed< and my facial nerve wasn't affected. Big thanks to my surgeon and his team.

I can report only one unusual thing for me - I sleep a lot. But that's great with me as I think it is a one of the best ways to a complete recovery.

These my pics from yesterday - before and right after. [/url]">http://waiting%20after%20check%20in_zpsr2zfjx82

[/url]">http://http://s1159.photobucket.com/user/nornam/media/right%20after%202_zpsbd9j81jn.jpg.html'>right%20after%202_zpsbd9j81jn.jpg

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

It was helpfull to follow the advises I found here - to put button front shirts and slip in shoes at the surgery day.

Thank you guys for your support!

• HearPeers Heroes

Cara - I have seen lot of people but you impress me :) - like you were never on the surgery!  :blink:

You look extremely - GREAT!  :D

It is normal that you feel sleepy - you were under general anesthesia. ;)  But... you really REALLY look great :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Wow, to paraphrase Ivana, you do love ok great. I'm so glad everything turned out so well. Let your journey begin! So happy for you.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Yay!! So glad it went well!! Rest up. You do look fantastic!! Well you will be back to yoga in no time!!!

• HearPeers Heroes

- like you were never on the surgery!  :blink:

Thank you girls! I was on the surgery - you can see my fancy bandana I got as a recognition for my good behavior during that event :)

I did some my yoga today - just for relaxing, nothing strenuous B)

• HearPeers Heroes

You look terrific! Way to go. Now the waiting for activation game begins. Smile.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thank you, Mary Beth. You are right, I have started a count down to my activation. Seven days left.  By the way, approximately, how long does an activation appointment take?

• HearPeers Heroes

My activation appointment took 2 hours but every center handles activation differently. Did your audiologist explain the way she does it?

Mine was

Activation- leave with 4 programs- spend 2 days in each

1 week later- leave with 4 programs- spend one week in each

1 month later- leave with 4 programs- spend one week in each

1 month later- leave with 4 programs- spend one week in each

1 month later- leave with 4 programs- 1 main program,1 for noisy places, 1 for music and 1 to move into if more current is needed

3 months later

And then every 6 months

Additional appointments could be scheduled as needed.

It varies greatly from center to center.

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

I waited four weeks for activation. It took about an hour and a half for the whole appointment. Now when they actually turn it on it makes a noise. Not everyone hears it but it was quite loud for me. It shocked me!! It's like a chiming when you turn on your computer. So watch for it. I should say listen. But don't be surprised if you don't. Everyone's journey is different. So we can't really tell exactly how it will go.

Generally they will go through each electrode testing if you can or not hear it. If you can they will make the volume of each one comfortable. There are twelve. Not everyone tolerates all twelve electrodes. Don't be surprised about that either. I could at. First. But needed twelve turned off after a bit. So rest up and keep us posted!!! The worst is over!!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Thank you girls! I was on the surgery - you can see my fancy bandana I got as a recognition for my good behavior during that event :)

I did some my yoga today - just for relaxing, nothing strenuous B)

I believe you, of course - just, you really REALLY  :o  look excellent postoperatively and - believe me when I say that I have seen a lot of people postoperatively. ;)

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks Mary Beth for your detailed response. I didn't discuss much about activation with my audiologist. I just asked her if she is comfortable with my choice of Med EL considering activation / mapping process. She sounded very confident about working with Med El.

She just asked me to be ready not to use my HA for the period of time while my brain adjusts to a new way of sound processing as it helps to get better outcome for the shorter time.

Kara, thanks for your info, too. Reading this forum I got that the rehab process is a very individual rite. So I am ready for the worse but hope for the better.

And of course I am going to share my future experience with rehab. I am so grateful to all forum peers for a lot of useful information I found here. I would be glad to contribute something helpful, too.

• HearPeers Heroes

Cara, you do and will contribute useful insights during your journey and it will help each and every one of us, as well as those following you.

• HearPeers Heroes

You will. Just like Mary Beth said. It will fly by and you will be followed by many!!

• HearPeers Heroes

And later on you can look forward to celebrating your ear's first birthday as a CI ear with us like Donna just did.

• HearPeers Heroes

Just seeing this post, WOW!!!!!! I wish I was as lucky as you! Glad to hear things went so well. My apologies as I have been traveling and could not respond. So very happy for you!!!! :D

• HearPeers Heroes

Thank you, Adam.

I feel like I took a short cut instead of running the full distance like everybody did :rolleyes:.

• HearPeers Heroes

Cara, my surgery was similar to yours as well. I was up, back at the hotel and flew home the next day.

• HearPeers Heroes

Cara,

There aren't any shortcuts. Everybody responds to surgery differently, activation, rehab, unilateral, bilateral.......the list can go on. Just be thAnkful for the small victories and fight through any speed bumps along the way. You will do probably way better than you realize. Attitude is everything.

• HearPeers Heroes

That's ok everyone is different no hard feelings here.

• HearPeers Heroes

I waited 6 weeks for activation after my first implant and 4 after my 2nd