Cara before and after surgery

Cara Mia

• HearPeers Heroes

Every person is a little different and it depends on how quickly you feel comfortable. From all the activations I have heard of and watched. The avg. is around 1.5 to 2 hours

• HearPeers Heroes

My post-op report

Each day was different. No pain medication at all. Looks like sometimes you can gain without pain :) But I am sure that the smallest size of implant, the atraumatic electrode (Flex28) and my surgeon’s great skills along with the safe surgical technique he chose contributed to my great result. And I suspect I have a high pain threshold.

On the day of the surgery- slept a lot, didn't feel my scar at all, but I felt the area over the implant site, especially if I tautened the muscles on my head. When I tilted my head or bent down slightly, I felt fullness in my implanted ear. This feeling disappeared as soon as I got back to a straight position. There was some post-intubation discomfort when swallowing (not very noticeable and it lasted only several hours after surgery).

1st day after surgery- after removing the bandage from my head, I stopped feeling my implant area. But I could feel some soreness from the scar. My ear pinna was numb, and I felt some discomfort in my inner ear when I pressed the crura of antihelix or crus of helix, but nothing when I pressed the tragus (sorry, I don't know the normal words for these parts of outer ear).

2nd day- was lightheaded a little bit, but no problem with balance. I felt the fullness in the ear when I tilted my head or bent down. Slept about 10 hours at night and had a nap during the day.

3rd day- woke up tired. Have no idea why, perhaps, slept too much. And I was that way almost all day. About 6pm I felt that my energy came back.

4th day- slept 10 hours at night and felt groggy in the morning. A little physical activity helped me get to normal condition. The sensitivity of the ear pinna is much better. Had some shooting pain inside my ear, but it lasted only for one second and happened only three times - I explained this to myself as a positive sign on my recovery, so I didn't worry about this. The only complication I had after the surgery - I didn't want to go to work on Monday. Felt like I don't belong to that world anymore :)

• HearPeers Heroes

5th day - the first day at work. Everything was good. Not so much problems to address promptly and my coworkers did a great job while dealing with some of my responsibilities. Everybody asked if I can hear good now… Before surgery I explained to all of them in person and in writing (email to all) that there will be nothing changed with my hearing till the activation, which should be a week after surgery when the speech processor will be connected to my implant..... Perhaps I was not clear enough. Everybody is surprised not to see me bold with a bloody bandage all over my head. At night my occasional shooting pain was not as sharp. While falling asleep, I got several minutes of tinnitus - like a drill working somewhere not far away. It was my first experience with that phenomenon - crazy, but I liked that soft sound, perhaps just liked to hear something again after many years of nothing.

6th day - have no problem bending down, almost no numbness left, and no shooting pain anymore. Continued answer the questions about if I can hear good now J Walked about 5 miles in the forest with dogs (my typical distance). It was a little bit too much as on my way back I felt unsteady but I did it!

I noticed that my implanted ear looks like a “Dumbo” ear (a little bit). Not sure if it is going to be permanent, but I am Ok with it. Took a picture of my scar – looks not so scary.

I can sleep on the implant site but it feels like a bruise.

Ready for my activation appointment scheduled for tomorrow.

• HearPeers Heroes

Very analytical and informative - and good to know that everything can happen with Earth but you'll know one thing about people - they never listen nor do they understand no matter how hard you try to explain them. :D :D :D

Great report! ;) - To be continued is missing :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Regarding your "Dumbo" ear remark - no, it won't stay like this. Perhaps you can not observe it but retroauricular area an certain temporal parts are swollen as the result of the operation. It will go down little bit slower because tissue need time for reparation, up to 6 months to full extent but your ear will be as it was before much sooner. ;) 

Keeping fingers for the activation. :)

• HearPeers Heroes

I had dumbo ear for about 6 weeks. It's much better now.

• HearPeers Heroes

Cara, thanks for sharing your journey. Looking forward to the next update.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks everybody!

It was a big long day! Can hear something sometimes!

But cannot paste my report. Will try to do it tomorrow. Feel happy.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Cara,

It's quite a day, isn't it? I'm glad you are starting to detect sounds. Which CI center do you use in Seattle? I have a friend with CIs who lives there too.

Remember, it only gets better from here.

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks for sharing Cara, this will help many who might be getting ready to go through the surgery.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Cara,

It's quite a day, isn't it? I'm glad you are starting to detect sounds. Which CI center do you use in Seattle? I have a friend with CIs who lives there too.

Remember, it only gets better from here.

Mary Beth

Thank you, Mary Beth. That was a Day! My CI center is "The listen for Life" at Virginia Mason Hospital. My surgeon is a director of this center.

Sure I remember about 3 P's :) Currently being in a "patience" mode :)

Going to start a new topic with my activation day report. See you.....

• HearPeers Heroes

Oh the suspense is killing me!! Can't wait!! Lol

• 1 month later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Hi Nikki, I am glad that this my info was helpful for you.

Wishing you the best of luck on Friday. I am sure everything's gonna be all right!