Sharing highlights from my first two years with CIs

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

This week I had opportunities to meet virtually with people who are considering getting CIs and people who are scheduled for their CI surgeries.  It brought back all those feelings.  Such a difficult time, full of anxiousness and hope.  Wondering if things will really get better.  Desperate for communication to be easier.

One person asked me to share my journey after activation by timeframe.  What was it like one month, three months, etc after activation?

I found a document I had made which described my first two years with CIs.  It begins on activation day of my right CI and moves forward including activation day 8 months later of my left CI.

Everyone’s journey and timeline is unique.  I hope the awe and WOW of life with my CIs can be felt by reading my journey.

I love hearing about everyone’s CI journeys.  Anyone else want to share?

These are screenshots.  Click on each and zoom in to read.  I hope they are helpful.

Wishing everyone the very best!

9B6BE475-6B7E-4B67-A0DA-DED1D9EAEBA2.jpeg

2058CF14-597E-4A3D-8064-03FDB7892F70.jpeg

• Like 3

This all sounds so familiar. I'm still making adjustments but can really relate.  I was leaning over in my garage to get some wood for a woodworking project and my magnate jump off and attached to the door rail. I've learned to make light of the limitations and be thankful to hear. 

Very nice Mary ,,, I wish if I had written a timeline like yours,, memorable moments will never forget,, 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Abdulaziz

Tell us some of your memorable moments.  It’s okay if you don’t have them in a timeline.  I LOVE reading about CI users’ WOW moments.

I was extremely lucky with my first CI. I was able to clearly understand speech from the moment of activation, though it sounded like a Greek chorus - five or six people speaking in perfect unison at different pitches. On the ride home I could understand what the NPR announcers were saying for the first time in 30 years.

My WOW moment - during my long deaf years my wife apparently took to venting her frustration by muttering behind my back (and to be fair, there was a lot of frustration, 'cause my deafness sucked all the fun out of our marriage). But suddenly I could hear every word she said while facing the other way.

I said, "Wow. How long have you been doing that?"

"Years."

Sometimes we forget that our partners also suffer.

• Haha 2

@Mary Beth

I'm happy to here that,, well,, first call after activation was with MOM and my wife,, and I will never forget that moment when I came back home and heard my little daughters calling Daddy,,Daddy,, it was really hearty 

• Like 2