Rehab Resources list sent to me from Med-El

RRG

Hello,

Bridget Davis at Med-El sent me the below Rehab Resources that other recipients have found useful. I've used, or aware of, most of these recommendations. Ampitfy in particular is new to me and will start exploring it. I hope this list is helpful.

Regards,

Rolf

• Program
      • A brand-new, whole-person hearing health platform application founded by Nancy Tye-Murray and other members of the world-renowned research team at Washington University in St. Louis, MO. The application platform provides education on hearing loss with coaching support from real, hearing healthcare professionals, an auditory training curriculum facilitated through fun, interactive video games, and a managed peer-to-peer support community to enrich and elevate the overall user experience. What’s more, the application platform can be accessed via computer, tablet, and/or smart phone.
      • There's a 14-day trial membership you can activate for $1
        • NOTE: Membership will charge in full if not canceled at the close of the 14th day.
        • NOTE II: HearPeers (vibrant community of successful, enthusiastic MED-EL recipients) get a 20% discount on the monthly membership with a code, which brings the membership to only $39.95/month vs. $49.94/month.
        • If interested in signing up for Hear Peers, click here.
  • Apps (Downloaded from the Apple/Android Stores)
    • SpeechID 2
    • HEARoes
    • NOTE: This is only the first/intro kit to 12 in total.  If you end up liking these, here's a link to access the remaining 11 kits.  
      • See the Rehabilitation Download portion of the MED-EL website to download any/all.  You'll note SEVERAL resources focusing on rehab for everything from adults to pediatrics from bimodal to bilateral, etc.
    • Access TONS of downloads, the MED-EL blog, which is just fantastic for recipients/parents of recipients featuring guest articles, technology updates, tips & tricks, and so much more, as well as information about recommended apps ideal for individuals with hearing loss.
  • Music Appreciation Practice

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks @RRG

I encourage people to try the $1 fourteen day trial and then decide if Amptify is worth the monthly membership fee.

There are many other free and less expensive options available online and through apps.

It’s important to find aural rehab activities we enjoy doing so we continue to use them.  This will vary from person to person.

• 1 year later...

Thank you for posting these rehab resources! I was doing a search for Amptify as my audiologist mentioned that new CI get their first year subscription for free. While I'm still waiting for a surgery date in my left ear, I plan to roll up my sleeves and re-immerse into some practice with CI in my right ear.

Question: seeing that this post is over a year old, has anyone tried the Amptify app? If so, is it beneficial?

@NathalieM I was implanted this summer and I tried Amptify. I found the games to be useful. Their presentation mannerism did not mesh well with my personality so my use was fairly short lived. Since your audiologist says the software is free you might want to try it. There are other programs available if you don't like that one. In my area the AB and Cochlear reps are very useful and they also offered rehab options - I don't know if this is a regional thing so I don't want to link software that might be restricted or pay-walled.

• 2 weeks later...

I just started the HEARoes app (it’s free to start with which is bonus) and look forward to continue using it. Can anyone comment on the difference between this app and Amptify? Are the games similar? @Anthony Canada - have you used HEARoes?

• HearPeers Heroes

@NathalieM

Have you downloaded WordSuccess?  It’s completely free and great at developing speech across all English phonemes.

• HearPeers Heroes

You are welcome @NathalieM

There are so many ways to do aural rehab for free nowadays.

If you already have Amazon Prime there is a little known free benefit that lets us both listen to and follow along in highlighted text on selected books in Prime Reading.  The audio is from Audible and is fantastic.  I explained how to access it here

Oooh that’s fabulous!!! Yes, I have Amazon Prime (both US & CDN) - who doesn’t nowadays?! Thanks again - will check this out…SO much to catch up on!! Lol

@NathalieM I downloaded the Hearoes ap but I haven't really tried it so I can't comment on how the games differ. One thing I liked about Amptify is I could use it from a desktop computer. I'm not sure Hearoes offers that.