Possible CI candidate and I fear.

dnagy

Hi, all!

Let me explain my situation:

I have severe HL on my left since a month. Before that I had mild-moderate HL, but it suddenly got much worse. I still can use HA on that ear at least for a while.

But on my right ear I'm profoundly deaf and did not use any HA for approx 15 years.

I told my doctors that I'd consider a CI for the right ear but they were not too optimistic, because I have ignored the right ear for a long time (as I could get by with my left).

Will I be able to learn to hear with my right ear after this many years?

Also: I'm terrified that people close to me will have very different voices. Will I ever be able to recognize the voice of my friends/family members? Will they have their own voice? How will nature sound (like cars passing by, water flowing, my own footsteps, dogs barking, etc)?

I am only 26 years old, I have plenty of time to live on this planet and I want to live a full life. I'm terrified about losing my ability to connect with my loved ones and enjoy the sounds of the world.

• HearPeers Heroes

@dnagy

Welcome to HearPeers.  I can relate to your fears.  My right ear heard nothing after a surgery for Ménière’s when I was in my early twenties and my left ear kept getting worse and worse and needed stronger and stronger hearing aids until finally no hearing aid helped.  That is a terribly depressing journey.  Hang in there.

We implanted my long standing deaf with no hearing aid ear first.  Even though it had not heard anything for the last 24 years.  I have Med-El brand cochlear implant.  When it was turned on (activated) 3.5 weeks later all I heard was static and beeps.  Within hours words started to appear.  And every day got better and better.  Training my brain with apps and activities helped a lot!  It is an amazing CI ear. Eventually everyone’s voices returned to normal.  I can hear a voice and know who is speaking without looking.  Music took longer but wow what a gift now!  Each instrument has its own voice.

It takes time and work but it is life changing.  Here is a link to a captioned video where I share my story in case you are interested.

Wishing you the best!

https://youtu.be/uAG0fCgafqk

• Like 2

@Mary Beth Thank you for the encouragement! I hope I will do well. I am also looking forward to have Med-El as I researched a lot about brands, and I have the impression that Med-El has the best implant technology with long electrodes and FineHearing. Also I want to preserve the most of my cochlea, as I am optimistic about future gene therapies. I know that a lot of attempts to restore hair cells failed, but I'm only 26 and 20 years from now I will still be only 46. Who knows what happens until that. Anyway I will update this community about my jurney.

• HearPeers Heroes

@dnagy

We are a friendly, helpful group.  Feel free to ask questions.  I look forward to following your journey.