Implanted 3 days ago, waiting for Activation

Tony

• HearPeers Heroes

EDIT: Now I am making duplicate posts...  :(  :(  :(

• HearPeers Heroes

Tony - great experience! 

Please - if you have time, try to write little bit more about your experiences. I really enjoy reading your remarks. :)

Hi Everyone! I had my second mapping on Thursday. We turned everything up and everything is pretty loud now! I sometimes turn down the volume, but for the most part it is tolerable. If I don't get used to it, we'll adjust at my next mapping in 1 month. I may have been a bit too comfortable with the higher sound levels when we were calibrating.

I also got the Rondo activated and I really like it, but it does fall off a little too easily. It is cool to not have anything sitting on my ear though, so I use it at home, but not really outside yet. I have the same programs for both and I don't notice much of a difference yet. But I should start taking it along with me everywhere and see which performs better. Does anyone else bring both processors with them everywhere and switch between the two for whichever performs best?

Starting to hear some lows a little more, but mostly just in my own voice. I think I may be hearing less highs due to this, we might need to account for that in next mapping. I can hear difference between S and SH perfectly and my audiologist says that is usually the hardest to distinguish. But MMM, OOO, and EEE are all very hard for me to tell the difference without lipreading. We tried a lot of different maps and nothing really helped, so it's probably just something I need to train the brain on.

We have the standard map in the first 2 slots at 2 sound levels. The next slot is for a map with the bass turned way up, and it seems to sound better for music. I hear low pitchs with it but it sounds like being underwater or in a barrel or something.

Last night was my first time in a group setting and it was rather difficult to follow along, but there were usually 3 or 4 voices going at a time. It was very overwhelming. Plus I didn't have a lot of sleep and my daughter was also keeping me quite busy chasing her around.

Have not been good about the sound rehab yet. Too much work to deal with and with such great initial results I've been slacking, but yesterday definitely motivated me to work on it. We are teaching my daughter how to help dada practice sounds. She saw my wife and I practicing with my wife holding a piece of paper over her mouth, and she picked a piece of paper up and started saying words too. She is so cute and smart!

Ivana, I to am finding it surprising that I can now hear sounds in other rooms, or people from far away. The other day we were doing listening exercises and I could tell the difference between "S" and "SH" and "AH"  with my wife behind me and in the hallway 15 feet away! There eally has been so many amazing milestones already! It's still a little surreal to me that I have an implant and it's working amazingly so far!

I was surprised that Astepro worked so well too being just an antihistamine, but it often did help me not have to use antibiotics. If I took it before the yellow snot appeared it usually kept it from getting bad. I just read that the pharmaceutical company discontinued it, and now has a new spray that is the same thing but also includes a  corticosteroid. I will get that next time. I do have some nasonex in my medicine cabinet. I will give that a shot, as I still have some plugged up feeling. Thanks for your medical expertise!

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Tony,

Your Rondo falls down because your temporal flap is still swollen - it will calm down within next month or two. In the meantime, you can order the Sportsband which usually suits for jogging or other sport activity but it can help you to maintain your Rondo in the position.

Although I am not a CI user, I have read many experiences and I have concluded that is the subjective issue... Hope, someone will fulfill me... :)

Your daughter is such a cutie... :wub:

Yes Tony - these first days are precious... We share it (both type of hearing loss) - pretty overwhelming time...You read so many "hearing journeys" yet there are many surprises along your own way...

It encourages us to move forward - please, continue with your rehab practices with your little princess: these days she will cherish long in her life...;)

No problem at all Tony ;) - antihistamine works fast, but for a long shot - you need corticosteroid. I also use it, having the exarcebations of chronic rhinosinusitis as long as I remember made me a practical expert with my own body serving as private lab... :D

Cheers!  :P

Hi Everyone! I had my second mapping on Thursday. We turned everything up and everything is pretty loud now! I sometimes turn down the volume, but for the most part it is tolerable. If I don't get used to it, we'll adjust at my next mapping in 1 month. I may have been a bit too comfortable with the higher sound levels when we were calibrating.

I also got the Rondo activated and I really like it, but it does fall off a little too easily. It is cool to not have anything sitting on my ear though, so I use it at home, but not really outside yet. I have the same programs for both and I don't notice much of a difference yet. But I should start taking it along with me everywhere and see which performs better. Does anyone else bring both processors with them everywhere and switch between the two for whichever performs best?

Starting to hear some lows a little more, but mostly just in my own voice. I think I may be hearing less highs due to this, we might need to account for that in next mapping. I can hear difference between S and SH perfectly and my audiologist says that is usually the hardest to distinguish. But MMM, OOO, and EEE are all very hard for me to tell the difference without lipreading. We tried a lot of different maps and nothing really helped, so it's probably just something I need to train the brain on.

We have the standard map in the first 2 slots at 2 sound levels. The next slot is for a map with the bass turned way up, and it seems to sound better for music. I hear low pitchs with it but it sounds like being underwater or in a barrel or something.

Last night was my first time in a group setting and it was rather difficult to follow along, but there were usually 3 or 4 voices going at a time. It was very overwhelming. Plus I didn't have a lot of sleep and my daughter was also keeping me quite busy chasing her around.

Have not been good about the sound rehab yet. Too much work to deal with and with such great initial results I've been slacking, but yesterday definitely motivated me to work on it. We are teaching my daughter how to help dada practice sounds. She saw my wife and I practicing with my wife holding a piece of paper over her mouth, and she picked a piece of paper up and started saying words too. She is so cute and smart!

Ivana, I to am finding it surprising that I can now hear sounds in other rooms, or people from far away. The other day we were doing listening exercises and I could tell the difference between "S" and "SH" and "AH"  with my wife behind me and in the hallway 15 feet away! There eally has been so many amazing milestones already! It's still a little surreal to me that I have an implant and it's working amazingly so far!

I was surprised that Astepro worked so well too being just an antihistamine, but it often did help me not have to use antibiotics. If I took it before the yellow snot appeared it usually kept it from getting bad. I just read that the pharmaceutical company discontinued it, and now has a new spray that is the same thing but also includes a  corticosteroid. I will get that next time. I do have some nasonex in my medicine cabinet. I will give that a shot, as I still have some plugged up feeling. Thanks for your medical expertise!

Hi Tony! Sounds like you're off to a great start with the CI. Group settings are still hard for me and I'm a month into having the CI, that just takes time because your brain is trying to get used to voices at different pitches so when you're in a group setting, it's almost like speeding the process up and your brain isn't ready for that. I have a rondo as well but don't use it yet since it doesn't stay on well. It's like Ivana said, it's just because of the swelling. My doctors told me it can take awhile for the swelling to go fully away but as it goes down, the magnet will work better. I read a comment on here the other day as well that someone mentioned when they go to get a haircut they have their hairstylist shave that small area so the magnet on her CI can work better and you get more clarity in sound since it is a stronger connection and the magnets not trying to go through your hair. I'm definitely doing this next time I get a haircut! 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

I personally don't find this an issue. I think it lies as to how the implant is embedded. Mine sticks out a bit so I dont have issues with thickness of hair with my sonnet. I even had a battery stuck under it once while it was on my head!! Lol

• HearPeers Heroes

Mmm... This sounds weird to me also... This shouldn`t ordinarly have any impact. As my implant also works on the magnet principle and I have really thick hair (tnx Dad!) - I do not need to shave anything although mine implant also sticks a little bit of the bone surface.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Tony,

You will find that auditory rehab will help your brain distinguish between sounds so give it a try when you can.

The Sonnet and Rondo sound different to me. They are based on different platforms so I would recommend choosing one to stick with for your early weeks of listening. Later switching between them is no problem.

I do not carry extra processors with me in my daily life. I can function with either Sonnets or Rondos in all settings. They are too valuable for me to carry them everywhere. When I travel I bring my back up processors along.