Tinnitus affecting hearing from CI

Jimit

Hi Everyone,

Just creating this topic to learn more about how tinnitus can affect the hearing from CI.

I have been diagnosed with cochlear type of meniere's disease 14 years back and tinnitus has been my companion since then. It started with low pitch humming sound earlier but increase in intensity as my hearing loss progress over 14 years.

The worst tinnitus sound I heard after my CI surgery (before activation) and it was like I am standing next to Jet engine rotating at its full speed. Thankfully it never last more than couple of hours and the frequency of it was like twice in a week. 

After activation, the intensity drastically reduced and it helped for couple of months but it's back now (just completed my 3 months of activation). I think it's due to change in season, winter is picking us it's pace and it's always worse for tinnitus.

During the tinnitus episode, my hearing from CI also affected, I feel like some of the frequency is not audible and some has amplified. To reduce the irritating amplified sounds I have to reduce the CI sound to half of the normal level. But again it only last for couple of hours and once the tinnitus get back to its normal level, the CI sound too comes back to normal.

I discussed it with my Doc, and she said it could be due to cold and prescribed me some medicine but I know it's not cold only as I hear it in every season with or without cold. 

Anyways, I just wants to know if anyone out there have any similar experience or heard something about it from others and if there is any more details they can provide to keep the tinnitus sound in control.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jimit said:

Hi Everyone,

Just creating this topic to learn more about how tinnitus can affect the hearing from CI.

I have been diagnosed with cochlear type of meniere's disease 14 years back and tinnitus has been my companion since then. It started with low pitch humming sound earlier but increase in intensity as my hearing loss progress over 14 years.

The worst tinnitus sound I heard after my CI surgery (before activation) and it was like I am standing next to Jet engine rotating at its full speed. Thankfully it never last more than couple of hours and the frequency of it was like twice in a week. 

After activation, the intensity drastically reduced and it helped for couple of months but it's back now (just completed my 3 months of activation). I think it's due to change in season, winter is picking us it's pace and it's always worse for tinnitus.

During the tinnitus episode, my hearing from CI also affected, I feel like some of the frequency is not audible and some has amplified. To reduce the irritating amplified sounds I have to reduce the CI sound to half of the normal level. But again it only last for couple of hours and once the tinnitus get back to its normal level, the CI sound too comes back to normal.

I discussed it with my Doc, and she said it could be due to cold and prescribed me some medicine but I know it's not cold only as I hear it in every season with or without cold. 

Anyways, I just wants to know if anyone out there have any similar experience or heard something about it from others and if there is any more details they can provide to keep the tinnitus sound in control.

Thanks in advance.

YES I agree 💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jimit

Yes fluctuations in hearing with a CI can occur in people with Ménière’s disease.

Fluctuations in CI performance were seen in five patients with Meniere's disease but not for those without the disease.”

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25490724/

Some people go in for a special MAP when they are experiencing this fluctuation.

Yes @Mary Beth I have seen this study article before. So yeah probably I will get the new map saved in my next audi appointment for such situation. But mainly I am researching on how we can control the attacks or atleast reduce the intensity of the tinnitus during attack.

Thanks for sharing it.

• 3 months later...
On 12/4/2022 at 12:13 PM, Jimit said:

Yes @Mary Beth I have seen this study article before. So yeah probably I will get the new map saved in my next audi appointment for such situation. But mainly I am researching on how we can control the attacks or atleast reduce the intensity of the tinnitus during attack.

Thanks for sharing it.

Hey Jimit. I do not have meniere’s, but I can relate to your tinnitus issue. I’ve had it since my hearing loss started about 20 yrs ago and, although I’m pretty used to it by now, some days it can be overwhelming. 
I just watched this video on a new T treatment from Dr. Cliff. I’m not sure how it really works or how to go about getting the treatment, but it seems promising (based on all the testing conducted). Hang in there, I hope things improve.

Thanks @AlexExpo for sharing this. I too am quite used to it now but as you said it becomes overwhelming sometimes. I am hoping this cure helps people like us. 

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar experience to you regarding tinnitus. In 2015, I noticed that my tinnitus was affecting my hearing and consulted an ENT doctor. Unfortunately, the doctor said there was nothing that could be done at the time and predicted that I would experience severe hearing loss in the future.

Over the years, my tinnitus worsened, but I was able to tolerate it. By the end of 2021, my hearing loss had deteriorated even further, and I became a candidate for a unilateral  CI ( left ear), which I received in February 2022. Unfortunately, my tinnitus became much worse after the surgery, to the point where it was unbearable and worse than you described. In fact, I was tortured all day and night.

However, after the CI was activated, my tinnitus almost disappeared, which was a huge relief. I still hear tinnitus, but it is now in the ear where I don't have the CI, and so far, it is very tolerable. I consider myself lucky.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Juan P

It is amazing how the CI processor sound greatly lessens tinnitus for many of us.