Sonnet mic covers

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Just sharing in case this helps anyone.

Med-El recommends that we change the Sonnet mic covers every three months or when sound quality has diminished.  That seems to be about 2-3 months for me.

Originally I was told that my insurance did not cover replacement Sonnet mic covers by my CSR.  I have a different CSR now and I asked if we could try to process Sonnet replacement mic covers through my insurance.  She was happy to try and today she told me that my insurance approved them.

Just sharing in case others in the US want to have Med-El check to see if their insurance covers the Sonnet mic covers.

Mary Beth

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

I am actually going to try to see if my insurance will cover it. Will let you know what I find out. Crossing my fingers. They do cover the batteries so here's hoping. 

• 1 month later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

I wear the Rondo almost exclusively. But  I wanted to try the rechargeable batteries for the sonnet and switched to that process for what seemed like a couple of months. I found the sound quality diminished so I switched mic covers (I had a spare in my kit).  That did not help. So now I'm told by AuD the replace the cable between the magnet ant the processor. 

I have owned this system for less than 1 year when I was activated last April. 

Does this seem appropriate?

• HearPeers Heroes

Sometimes we have parts that wear out quickly. Don't be surprised. But these parts are covered under warranty. So make sure you speak with your Med el rep. They can ship them to you. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jdashiell

Before replacing the cable, it may be helpful just to disconnect the cable and reinsert it.  See if that helps. You can do this at both ends.

The kits came with a spare cable in the US,  so if it doesn't help switch to your spare cable and see if there is a difference.  

If not, return to your original cable and start the process for a replacement Sonnet under warranty with programs remote loaded.

If replacing the cable works, contact your CSR to exchange your malfunctioning cable with a new cable under warranty.  Keep the malfunctioning cable as you will need to return it in the pre addressed envelope they provide.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jdashiell

Just to clarify....you noticed the Sonnet sound quality wasn't sounding like it had before, right?  You are not comparing the sound from the Rondo to the Sonnet, correct?  Because those processors are built on different platforms and do not sound the same to me.

• HearPeers Heroes

Correct. I found I couldn't hear as well as I had when I initially tried the Sonnet 

• HearPeers Heroes

As Marybeth suggested, try replacing the cable first. I had some hearing quality issues.  Changed my cable and that took care of it

• HearPeers Heroes

I tried all those suggestions only to find things got worse. Called MedEL support and they a replacing my Sonnet under Warranty.

Thanks everyone!

• HearPeers Heroes

That happened to me too.

• HearPeers Heroes

Its comforting to know I am not alone in this, but discomforting that it occurs at all.

I hope you had a backup unit, I have a Rondo too - working very well.

• HearPeers Heroes

I am very thankful for my backup processors!

• HearPeers Heroes

I am bilateral so as long as I don't have issues with both at the same time, I could get by

• HearPeers Heroes

Back up Ears are terrific!

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes it was nice when I had my Opus 2 as I got a back up for each ear. Not the case when I upgraded to the sonnet. Luckily no problems with either one, knock on wood.

• HearPeers Heroes

Didn't you keep your Opus2 to use as back ups?

• HearPeers Heroes

Actually Mary Beth I still do have my Opus 2. They really don't even come to mind as my Sonnets have worked flawlessly since I recieved them.

• HearPeers Heroes

I received my replacement Sonnet yesterday the same day I had my second CI surgery on my left ear! I'm now officially bilateral!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Does your replacement Sonnet sound normal to you?

• HearPeers Heroes

Does your replacement Sonnet sound normal to you?

• HearPeers Heroes

My congrats, Jdashiell. Easy and fast recovery to you!

• HearPeers Heroes

Mary Beth,

yes it's working!

cara Mia,

thanks hoping for fast and easy recovery and soon activation!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Terrific!  That way you can focus all of your energy on your soon to be activated side!  Enjoy the ride.  When you get your ears balanaced, it is amazing!