Getting my CI

Dave in Pittsburgh

Had the surgery 2 weeks ago getting mt CI next Mom 11/21/ @ 8:30 am can't wait to be able to hear

Rejoice!!

• HearPeers Heroes

I live in Plattsburgh, NY (south of Montreal Canada and just west of Vermont)

Wow that's like really frozen north it seems to me,but I can imagine it's pretty country.

How long have you had your CI ? If you don't mind me asking

• HearPeers Heroes

Smile.  So far just flurries but we will get snow that needs to be shoveled soon.

my right ear was implanted Feb 2015 and activated March 2015

my left ear was implanted Oct 2015 and activated Nov 2015

Snow will be upon us soon unfortunately.

Wow so your bilateral i most probably will beheading that route, I will be getting my CI on my left ear  this coming Mon at 830 am and was told the right ear in about 6  months. I can tell the right ear has gotten worse

• HearPeers Heroes

I hope you are as happy with your CIs as I am.  They have changed my life.  

• HearPeers Heroes

Good luck at activation!!! Such an exciting time. I just got activated this past Friday (11/11) and its been an amazing journey so far :) So many new sounds, oh my!

Thanks Megan it has been a long journey and I can't wait until Mon 830 am and get activated.

• HearPeers Heroes

I know what you mean by a long journey! The most exciting part is coming :) Right now for me,  understanding voices and spoken words have been tiring but nonetheless I am hearing SO much more!!! If you can bring someone with you to activation, definitely do that. I brought my mom and it was wonderful to be able to share that with her!

You'll have to let us know how it goes!!!

O I will let you know and yes I am bringing my wife with me for the activation.

Were you able to hear right away and how is it with the phone?

• HearPeers Heroes

Looking forward to hearing how you do!

I did hear right away words and sounds except it was very high pitched - cartoonish. My audiologist is a man and he was clear, however my voice and my mom's was nonexistent. I could see her talking and I know I was talking but there was no voice, same goes for music. Eventually, my voice and my mom's turned to ringing probably an hour after being switched on and continued the whole day. The next day the ringing stopped and I could hear myself and my mom's more clearly - just not enough to not lip read. I started doing listening activities to help with that.

Yesterday I tried the phone and I could pick up certain words clearly but not a whole sentence. It was interesting because it didn't sound jumbled or mushed together - the words sounded distinct and separate if that makes sense. Baby steps!! :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Sounds like your off to a great start. Don't expect everything to come back at once. I heard voices on the first day but couldn't use the phone till month four after telephone training for a month.  Music was the last to come back for me. It was lots of intense listening and following along with the lyrics infrint of me.  

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks Kara :) I definitely don't expect everything to come back at once, it would be nice though!! I will admit I have the mentality of "LET'S DO THIS!!!" So I am jumping all in with the listening, music, and phone. I love music and spent my whole life around it between dance, flute, music lessons, and choir - I literally cannot go a day without!!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Do you know something curious? When I don't understand something is saying my wife, She write it.... The next time she say the same word or phrase, I understand perfectly.

Thanks so much can't wait until Mon at 830am and get my CI and activated

once again thanks

Dave

7 hours ago, Megan L. said:

Looking forward to hearing how you do!

I did hear right away words and sounds except it was very high pitched - cartoonish. My audiologist is a man and he was clear, however my voice and my mom's was nonexistent. I could see her talking and I know I was talking but there was no voice, same goes for music. Eventually, my voice and my mom's turned to ringing probably an hour after being switched on and continued the whole day. The next day the ringing stopped and I could hear myself and my mom's more clearly - just not enough to not lip read. I started doing listening activities to help with that.

Yesterday I tried the phone and I could pick up certain words clearly but not a whole sentence. It was interesting because it didn't sound jumbled or mushed together - the words sounded distinct and separate if that makes sense. Baby steps!! :)

Thank you for the info and support and if I remember right your into music I am also somewhat have interest in it also jazz being my favorite. The phone part is important to me as I hate texting I prefer to talk

i can't wait unti Monday to get activated