Lesson learned

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Ok I must confess, I am Chea...I mean Thrifty, when it comes to spending money. :) 

we are supposed to change our mic covers every 3 months I think it is. I decided to stretch it out a little on these last ones. 

Recently I have been asking my wife and certain people to repeat themselves, which is unusual. 

I changed my mic covers last night, put my processors on and WOW! They must have collected dust and debris more than I realized. 

So, everybody please learn from my mistake and try to take care of your processors and replace items as needed. We want to hear at our optimum level and dont want to sacrifice that by not following recommended guidlines. 

Thats my confession and tip of the day. :)

happy hearing

adam

• HearPeers Heroes

I have to change mine every 2 months to hear optimally 

• HearPeers Heroes

Makes sense. I believe MEDEL recommends 3 but I pushed it too far. Also not good for the processor

I haven't changed mines.  Well, my Rondo for the right side - the microphone cover keeps coming off.  It was broken.  Less than an hour ago, I received my second microphone cover replacement for this one Rondo.  I don't know how the first one broke in half.  I don't know how the second one broke.  I am very careful with them.  At least it's under warranty.

• HearPeers Heroes

If your Rondo is under warranty, Med-El may replace the entire cover.  That has happened to several people.

The only processor that needs to have the mic cover replaced every 3 months or sooner if sound quality decreases is the Sonnet.

• HearPeers Heroes

Good to know!!! 

Now what if we don't use the Sonnet all day - what if it's split with the Rondo - would the cover still need to replaced every 3 months? 

Are there any particular signs you hear (like static or popping) that tells you the cover needs to be replaced? 

Just curious you guys ?

• HearPeers Heroes

Things sound "off".  For me, high frequency speech sounds drop out.

• HearPeers Heroes

Mary Beth, 

the same thing happens to me. It think because it was so gradual, I didn't pick up on it

• HearPeers Heroes

Very interesting! I'll have to pay attention now that you both mention it's high frequency sounds that go first. Thanks for sharing ?

• HearPeers Heroes

I believed this drop off itself before need to change it.

• HearPeers Heroes

I believe MEDEL wants us to hear optimally at all times. I have not asked them this, this is just my opinion. I think the reason they are conservative on the length of time before changing the mic cover (sooner than later) is because they don't want it to get to the point where you do start to miss things. Changing it just before that happens would be Ideal as you can continue hearing at your optimal level. 

Of course different activities and what you do in daily life is also a factor. As well as preventative maintenance.

• HearPeers Heroes

Absolutely. Since some of us work in environments where it would be necessary for us to change them sooner if there is lots of dust and debris. Or the rest of us just got through the daily things and they are fine. So it's a happy medium. 

• HearPeers Heroes

My environment is clean. However I'm going to next mapping next month (first weeks). I ask to my audi about it. Next month I will have three month after connection.

• HearPeers Heroes

Everyone's experience with the Sonnet mic covers may vary.  My Sonnets are not exposed to any dusty or wet environments.  I do not use hair products.  And yet, I notice a difference in sound quality consistently at  about 2 1/2 months.  I may be sensitive to slight sound differences.  i now change my Sonnet mic covers every 2 months.  This schedule keeps everything sounding great all of the time for me.

Others have commented that they didn't notice a change in sound until they changed their mic covers and were shocked at how different things sound.  

You will figure out what works best for you.  Before you change the mic covers, watch Med-El's video on their YouTube page.  Many people have broken their Sonnets by forgetting to remove the hook pin first.

• HearPeers Heroes

Very good point Mary Beth. Forgot to suggest the video. Also be careful after removing the hook pin it is quite small and hard to see. Be careful that you don't drop it. Also the tool you use also has magnet for picking up the pin off of the table. 

• HearPeers Heroes

It does?  Wow I never noticed that.  I use my coil.

• HearPeers Heroes

Sure does Marybeth. It is on the end of it. Not very big so easy to miss. The coil is a great idea though

• HearPeers Heroes

interesting. Adam, do you mean a tool that has a tiny flat screw driver on the one end and a pin like tip on another end?

I just checked both tools I got in two different kits - none of them have a magnetic tip. But it is a good idea. I definitely will try to make that tip magnetic.

• HearPeers Heroes

Adam

will you post a pic of the tool you use?  Mine is like Cara's.

• HearPeers Heroes

I will see if I can. I'm not very computer literate

• HearPeers Heroes

Ok the mystery is solved. 

The magnet in in the bottom of the handle of the brush that is in the kit