Newly Implanted with questions

Raymond Veith

Hi.....I am a 67 year old male. I was implanted 4 days ago. I lost my hearing in left ear 10 years ago......Sudden hearing loss. I had about 60% in my right ear until 2 months ago, then right side failed as well.. So when I am activated, I will have only been deaf in both ears for about 12 weeks. I am thinking it is rare to be implanted so soon and that will be a plus in rehab. Opinions??

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Raymond,

first welcome to hearpeers. This is a great community of people from all over the world in various stages of their hearing journey. Congratulations on your surgery!!!

there is no definitive answer to your question. Each persons brain adapts differently to the hearing process after activation. You could have 2 people with identical hearing histories get implanted but have different experiences in the rehab process. I had one ear that was at a profound level since my mid 20's. I'm 48 now and have had 2 implants for over 5 years. My other ear was borderline severe until 6 years ago. 

I opted to have my "better ear" implanted first as it had sound longer. I can't say that one ear did better than the other after the activations. I had my surgeries a number of months apart. Each one was different but I can't say one was way better or faster getting up to speed than the other. 

I am not a health professional so the person you would need to ask would be your doctor or audiologist. 

If I had to guess, I think having had your brain stimulated with some hearing for a period of time would be of benefit. That said, the stimuli your brain is receiving will be different than your natural hearing so it will take your brain a little while to figure out what it is that you are hearing. 

That said, the brain is amazingly adaptable and I think you will be surprised at how quickly you start picking things up. You do have to practice. Remember the 3 P's PRACTICE, PATIENCE and PERSEVERANCE.

please feel free to ask as many questions as you would like. 

Your bionic buddy

adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome!  Wishing the the best.  Did you have both sides implanted?

13 hours ago, Adam said:

Hi Raymond,

first welcome to hearpeers. This is a great community of people from all over the world in various stages of their hearing journey. Congratulations on your surgery!!!

there is no definitive answer to your question. Each persons brain adapts differently to the hearing process after activation. You could have 2 people with identical hearing histories get implanted but have different experiences in the rehab process. I had one ear that was at a profound level since my mid 20's. I'm 48 now and have had 2 implants for over 5 years. My other ear was borderline severe until 6 years ago. 

I opted to have my "better ear" implanted first as it had sound longer. I can't say that one ear did better than the other after the activations. I had my surgeries a number of months apart. Each one was different but I can't say one was way better or faster getting up to speed than the other. 

I am not a health professional so the person you would need to ask would be your doctor or audiologist. 

If I had to guess, I think having had your brain stimulated with some hearing for a period of time would be of benefit. That said, the stimuli your brain is receiving will be different than your natural hearing so it will take your brain a little while to figure out what it is that you are hearing. 

That said, the brain is amazingly adaptable and I think you will be surprised at how quickly you start picking things up. You do have to practice. Remember the 3 P's PRACTICE, PATIENCE and PERSEVERANCE.

Your bionic buddy

adam

Thanks for the info Adam. As all of you know, until your generator is activated, it is difficult to imagine what it will be like. That's where I am right now....Very excited.....And appreciative of this support group.

• HearPeers Heroes

You are exactly right, the anticipation killed me. It was well worth the wait. Hang in there.

do you have an activation date yet?

1 hour ago, Adam said:

You are exactly right, the anticipation killed me. It was well worth the wait. Hang in there.

do you have an activation date yet?

Yes Feb-6

1 hour ago, Adam said:

Are you thinking of going bilateral at some point?

I think I would like to have bi-lateral C.I.s.......I guess that depends on coverage by Medicare......I don't know if they will pay for the second one.  I'm trying to find the answer to that question now.

Hi Mary Beth.....I just read some of your other posts about the bilateral experience.  Thank you. I learned from your explanation.  I think I am a candidate for bilateral but my primary insurance is Medicare.  I have been trying to find definitive info if Medicare will cover a second CI. Do you have any idea or know of someone on this site that you could point me toward?  Thank you.

• HearPeers Heroes

Raymond, I would touch base with your hospital first to see if they can help figure that out as the rules will be a little different based on where you live. I would also contact MEDEL as they might be able to help you in navigating this part of it.

• HearPeers Heroes

WOW! Feb 6th is right around the corner! Please give us an update of how the activation goes

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Raymond. Welcome! I have one implant currently. Best of luck on activation!! Rehab is a very long journey. For the best results that is. Check out our forum on aural rehab. To get a better idea. 

• HearPeers Heroes

In the closed FaceBook group called Med El Cochlear Implant Discussion Group (just search and ask to join) there are members who have had Medicare cover their second implant and members who are struggling in getting their second implant approved.  So it varies.  You can post your questions there and learn from people who have done it.  Your CI center is a great place to start and Med-El as well.  Good luck.

• HearPeers Heroes

I posted a link to the group writhing the last day or two, great idea Mary Beth. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Joe 

mine way I looked at my initial activation was to have low expectations but very high hopes. 

As Ive stated before, the rate at which each person progresses varies. That said, I would argue that no implant recipient would say they are dissatisfied with their progress. 

I like to say, you will have good days and you will have awesome days.

I remember my first activation like it was yesterday. Were there some frustrating days? Sure. There were way more wow moments than there were moments of frustration. 

it is a wild ride and we can't wait to be along for the ride with you.

how are you feeling? Sleeping ok? 

• HearPeers Heroes

My sincerest apologies Raymond. For some reason I called you Joe in my last post. Not sure where my head was. 

On 1/22/2017 at 9:22 PM, Adam said:

Hi Raymond,

Your bionic buddy

adam

Thanks for the info Adam. As all of you know, until your generator is activated, it is difficult to imagine what it will be like. That's where I am right now....Very excited.....And appreciative of this support group.

No problem Adam. 

I am sleeping fine. If you use one of those neck pillows....Laid on its side....You ear and wound have a nice opening in the middle. Once I discovered that, sleeping is easy.

Post-op follow up today with ENT....All good. Cleared to shower....And anxious to activate.

• HearPeers Heroes

So glad to hear everything is well on the recovery side. 

It drove me nuts waiting. Of course a little nervous not knowing what to expect, but excited for the future. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Sounds great Raymond.  Can't wait for your activation day!

• 2 weeks later...

Activation day!!! Wow......That was interesting.  Ok.....Recovered from the info briefing about all of the contents of the Med El box.  Seems as though my hearing has improved a lot in the first 8 hours. Voices sound relatively normal. TV improving.....Can almost understand with only lip reading...No CC....Almost. I have 4 programs of increasing volume to work thru before next appt next week. Is that fairly typical? When did music start improving for you folks.....Still pretty bad on my first day.

• HearPeers Heroes

For me music took three months before I could start to understand it. Of course I had to play it over and over for a while before o could hear the lyrics. 

Thanks Kara. How long ago was that? Is music continuing to improve for you?