Flying with a CI and Sonnet 2

Mary W-K

In March I am headed from Tucson to LA, then on to Australia. I will be taking a domestic US flight, an international flight, and several domestic Australia flights. Can anyone give me tips about flying with a CI? I know to take a 2nd processor, plenty of batteries/charger. I am specifically interested in:

1) Getting through customs and security both in US and Australia with a CI. Do I have to show documentation? Go through special screening? Other concerns?

2) Turning on flight mode with the Sonnet 2. I've tried the turn on/off 4 times but I'm getting no indication that I am in flight mode. How do I know I've made the change successfully? Any tricks I need to know?

Thanks for any advice you can share!

Mary W-K

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary W-K

Sounds like a fabulous trip!

I have flown domestically and internationally many times with my CIs and have had no issues.  I just go through like everyone else.

@Mary W-K I have flown often with my implants I don’t remove them go thru security and the body scan at various airports no questions ask no problem.

In fact I don’t even tell anyone .

Thanks Mary Beth and Dave!  

Can someone speak to need to change processor to airplane mode? Or is it sufficient to change iPhone, etc. to airplane mode? How do I tell I actually have the Sonnet 2 in Airplane Mode?  If I'm doing something wrong while trying to get the Sonnet into airplane mode, what am I most likely doing wrong - not leaving it off long enough? too long?

Thanks again!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary W-K

I do not have any personal experience with flight mode,  It is the way to turn off the receiver in the Sonnet 2 to be in compliance with flight rules is my understanding.  It is different than putting your phone in airplane mode.

There is a brief red light indication that you successfully put the Sonnet 2 into flight mode.

The timing is explained in the picture.

You can schedule a free zoom 1:1 with a Med-El US audiologist who will walk you through it if you are having problems.  Just register here 

https://web.cvent.com/event/9f87401e-5bd8-4868-9e78-1fbba262e086/regProcessStep1

B4CF9725-EBD7-4C0A-AF50-F31E1A0F1727.jpeg

I have never used flight mode I have family in California and have flown approximately 8 times sometimes direct other times connecting flights with no problems 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dave in Pittsburgh

Flight mode is only for Sonnet2 and Rondo 3 I believe.  We don’t have to concern ourselves with flight mode with our Sonnets nor Rondo 2 processors.

You'll have no issues generally with domestic flights within Australia.   You may get asked about it as you approach the metal detectors, but just explain to them what it is and why you can't remove it, and they are generally pretty agreeable.

Not sure what domestic security is like in the US these days (its been 20+ years since I was last there) but they'll want to you to remove just about every thing else! (watches, rings, belts, hats, coats, laptops out of bags, etc, etc).

Mike, thanks! That's reassuring about Australia, and I have more info to impart on the whole issue. I spoke with Bridget Davis, Med-El audiologist, who handles the 1-on-1 consultations here in the US.

Per FAA (Federal Aviation Agency, regulates air travel in US) rules, all devices must be set so they can't communicate during a flight. This involves cellular signals (for phones), Wi-Fi (for phones, tablets, etc.) and bluetooth (phones, tablets, CI processors, etc). The concern is interference with the airplane's electronics/communications needed during take-off, flight, and landing. So, while airplane mode and flight mode may not be the "same", they serve the same function of keeping the devices from using Bluetooth, etc. And, yes, this may be evolving and changing as devices and airplane shielding improve/change.

To put a Sonnet 2 into flight mode: 1)take battery cover off, 2) wait briefly (2 seconds), replace cover and wait until green light blinks (twice for the device Bridget was using, once for mine), 3) Repeat 3 more times.  After the 4th time, leave the cover on, the green light blinks then after a pause the indicator light will blink red. This indicates you are in flight mode.  My problem was I was assuming that, after the 4th time, the light would blink red, not green. So directions are not explicitly clear -  you will see the red light blink, but only after the green light. (and, P.S., it seemed to inactivate the t-coil function).

Security in US - Bridget assured me that they cannot legally require that you remove your external processor. I'm in a local support group and previous comments suggest it is not a problem here in the US either. We are meeting this Saturday and I will ask specifically and for examples. If I learn anything new, I will report back.

Thanks again for all the help, Mary

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary W-K

Thank you for sharing this information.  Your directions on flight mode are very helpful.

I have only flown one time since getting my CI.  I have gotten mixed advice on this and would also like clarity since I am flying again in April.  I asked for a pat down and did not walk through the standard metal detector or the body scanner. I wore my Sonnet2 for the pat down and had my Rondo3 in the MedEl zipper case in my hand.  The security pat down was a pain as I had to wait a while for a woman, not to mention that it is a pretty comprehensive pat down.   They also opened my Rondo case to swab it as part of my manual inspection.

I would LOVE to avoid this if possible.  So, can I go through the metal detector and/or body scanner with my Sonnet2 on AND my back-up processor in my hand?  I was told it was NOT OK to send my CIs through the carry-on baggage scanner.  And I thought that walking through the metal detector or body scanner could mess up the mapping?  

And what about metal detectors going into other large venues likes concerts or sporting events?  I have been asking to be wanded for those types of event and always have my Med-El card handy.

I would love some clarification on these issues.

Heather

Hi Heather! I am flying mid-March wearing my Sonnet 2, carrying my Rondo 3 in my carry-on. So, I'll do my best to get back on this forum and let you know my experiences. I think going through security with something in your hand would be a chancy option, as they make you empty your pockets and I think they would want you to empty your hand as well.

I'm in a CI support group (all manufacturers) and everyone says there should be no problem going through security. They just wear their processor and go right through, though we all thought having the Med-El card handy made sense.  I contacted Med-El 1-on-1 on another issue and the audiologist stated that they can't make you take off the processor when you go through security.

Could someone with official Med-El knowledge address the issue of not taking CI processors through carry-on baggage scanner? If you do, what negative thing happens? Also the issue of the scanner messing up the mapping is interesting. I've not heard either warning but obviously going on a long trip with messed up mapping is not a fun option.

Responses please, based on knowledge, not on I've heard...

Thanks!!  Mary

• HearPeers Heroes

@Heather W

I have flown many times with my CIs both domestically and internationally.  I wear my processors and go through as usual. My back up processors are on my backpack and all has been fine.

Heather - I contacted my Med-El engagement manager, who sent me links to 3 articles on the Med-El blog, the best being this one: https://blog.medel.com/traveling-with-a-cochlear-implant/ Unfortunately, there were contradictory statements between the 3 articles. This article agrees with Mary Beth's experiences, and what I'm hearing from my support group. It may also explain the caution about the carry-on bag scanner. The concern is about static electricity if you put processor directly on conveyer belt or in plastic bins, not the scanner itself. Inside a suitcase, backpack, etc. the processor should be protected.

I am going to get a copy of my map and the contact info for Med-El in Australia.

Hope that helps!  Mary

Thanks @Mary Beth and @Mary W-K.  Can I go through BOTH types of walk through detectors—the body scanner and the standard metal detector with my CI on?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi  I have flown to and from the UK to Australia  many times.  I  don't  put my spare processor  through the baggage scanner as I  was told in rare instances the static electricity can wipe your mappings.  I  hand it to one of the scanner  people  and they swab it and bypass the  scanner.  They won't usually let you carry things  through the scanner.  You are absolutely  fine on the scanners  just keep your  implant on.  All batteries  in hand luggage.  

• 2 months later...

Update on my experience in US and Australia:

I went through body scanner 7 times wearing Sonnet 2, and my Rondo 3 backup went through the X-ray machine in my carry-on bag (it was inside a cloth bag, inside a zippered container that was inside my CI equipment bag inside my carry-on) 8 times, with no problems of any type (3x in US, 5x in Australia). One time in Australia the airport didn't have a body scanner, only metal detector, so they did a pat-down instead, very quick and painless. 

I turned my Sonnet 2 to flight mode the first 4 flights. The main impact is that doing so disconnects you from your Fine Tuner Echo. Since I needed to turn my t-coil on very soon after landing, while juggling baggage, I didn't change to flight mode the last 4 flights, I just committed to not using the Echo on the flight. From my side, no problems of any type, with or without flight mode, during the flight.

I did advise Australian security staff that I had an implant - didn't phase them at all. They just put me with all the other implant people - knees, hips, etc. - and we all went happily through the body scanner. In US, I said not a single word about my processor to security staff, and neither did they. I did carry my Med-El ID card just for my own peace of mind. I also had a copy of my mapping from my audiologist and I had contact info for the two Med-El offices in Australia, none of which I needed.

Hope that helps!

Mary

I often fly domestically or internationally. You can get through security without removing the device. However, if you hesitate to pass, tell the staffs that you are using CI, they don't ask for any documentation, they are very helpful. No matter how you pass, it will not be a problem.

• HearPeers Heroes

In the last 7 years that I are implanted , I had no problem to avoid the security arc, specially when I traveled internationally to avoid mapping issues. Commenting to safety staff, they check to me manually, but this time in my return flight after  receive the new processor, one member request to me a medical center letter where say my condition. ¿..?

On january returtning of Colombia, when I pass through act a safety person, say to me explicity, that avoid pass through it because He had experience with other people, that processor didn't work after pass through the arc.

It is not a clear concensus about implanted persons at least with CI.

I read in any time that processor, mus't pass in hand luggage through x-ray sccanner because the mic can damage.