Hot Rondo3 and battery failure

Glenn

My first Rondo 3 was getting uncomfortably warm on the side of my head. I just thought it must be the extra draw from streaming and I would just take it off and shut it down for a few minutes. It did not get hot every day and when it did it was in the evening. (Streaming time)

Then one day I took it off and there was a white crusty stuff coming out of the seam. I then shut it down and got a replacement. I have had to have them replaced several times from knocking them off and cracking the case seam, and none of the replacements have gotten warm while wearing them. I only had one Rondo 3 at the time and nothing to compare it to or I would have stopped when it first got hot. 

This started soon after I got this processor and it is not likely to happen often, but be aware, Rondo 3s do not normally get hot.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Glenn Neff

Right.  None of our processors should ever get hot while we are wearing them.

On 4/4/2023 at 2:48 AM, Glenn Neff said:

My first Rondo 3 was getting uncomfortably warm on the side of my head. I just thought it must be the extra draw from streaming and I would just take it off and shut it down for a few minutes. It did not get hot every day and when it did it was in the evening. (Streaming time)

Then one day I took it off and there was a white crusty stuff coming out of the seam. I then shut it down and got a replacement. I have had to have them replaced several times from knocking them off and cracking the case seam, and none of the replacements have gotten warm while wearing them. I only had one Rondo 3 at the time and nothing to compare it to or I would have stopped when it first got hot. 

This started soon after I got this processor and it is not likely to happen often, but be aware, Rondo 3s do not normally get hot.

It should not get hot, only i felt warm when its on charging pad and after wearing it goes back to normal. Sound like too much bluetooth streaming like sometime it happened with my phone getting hot by using too much bluetooth or hotspot. 

@SalikI have done way more streaming on the replacement processors than I had done with that one.  The battery was just going through thermal run away, a known failure mode for this type of battery. 

11 minutes ago, Glenn Neff said:

@SalikI have done way more streaming on the replacement processors than I had done with that one.  The battery was just going through thermal run away, a known failure mode for this type of battery. 

Seem like faulty battery or software need to be update, have you talk to local Med-el team about this issue? 

47 minutes ago, Salik said:

Seem like faulty battery or software need to be update, have you talk to local Med-el team about this issue? 

It was a faulty battery and MedEl did replace the Rondo3 for me. On the rondo3 the battery is integral to the device and cannot be removed.

• Like 2

On 4/8/2023 at 12:01 AM, Glenn Neff said:

It was a faulty battery and MedEl did replace the Rondo3 for me. On the rondo3 the battery is integral to the device and cannot be removed.

Yes the battery is built-in and cant be removed, so they replaced my Rondo 2 with new one.