Got up today and sudden, extreme vertigo

Tim

• Members

Had not really had balance issues before.  Woke up this morning.  Felt fine. Got out of bed, and suddenly everything was spinning.  Had to hold the wall to walk down the hallway. Have now spent a half hour sitting on the floor in the bathroom

Tried searching in hearpeers but don't see something similar.  

3 months post implant.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Tim

So sorry you are experiencing this.  Quite a few CI users report an episode of BPPV at some point after surgery.  If it is BPPV, there is a maneuver you can do while in bed.

I hope you feel better soon.  Your CI center may have suggestions for you.

• Members

@Mary Beth Thanks much!  The vertigo went away after an hour or two but nausea persisted for around 20 hours.  Finally starting to eat again today. 

I was caught by surprise and really wasn't up for doing much searching. 

I remember reading about Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) years ago but had forgotten all about it. 

For others and to make it easier if I need to find it again, I'll provide a little information here.

Here's a link to an article discussing BPPV for cochlear implant recipients. 

I called my ENT clinic - they didn't have much to say but I'll talk with my Audi in that practice in the next remapping in a couple of weeks. 

On 4/9/2023 at 7:24 PM, Tim said:

Had not really had balance issues before.  Woke up this morning.  Felt fine. Got out of bed, and suddenly everything was spinning.  Had to hold the wall to walk down the hallway. Have now spent a half hour sitting on the floor in the bathroom

Tried searching in hearpeers but don't see something similar.  

3 months post implant.

On 4/10/2023 at 7:29 PM, Tim said:

@Mary Beth Thanks much!  The vertigo went away after an hour or two but nausea persisted for around 20 hours.  Finally starting to eat again today. 

I was caught by surprise and really wasn't up for doing much searching. 

I remember reading about Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) years ago but had forgotten all about it. 

For others and to make it easier if I need to find it again, I'll provide a little information here.

Here's a link to an article discussing BPPV for cochlear implant recipients. 

I called my ENT clinic - they didn't have much to say but I'll talk with my Audi in that practice in the next remapping in a couple of weeks. 

So sorry to learn you had this, Yes vertigo and accompanying symptoms can happen anytime and duration also is so variable. I have mine at random intervals for variable periods. Take Care .

• 5 months later...
  • Members

@SKOM Was looking around here and realized that I had not updated this thread.  My clinic (audiologist and surgeon) agreed that I should give a physical therapist specializing in balance a try since it didn't fit the BPPV symptoms cleanly.

She did extensive testing and found no evidence of BPPV.  It is possible that this was a cause or contributor but what she did find was Vestibular Hypofunction on my CI side. She explained balance as being three different functions: visual, inner ear, and touch (foot).  My inner ear on my CI side was underperforming.  With eyes open on a solid surface, my other two senses could make up for poor inner ear balance.  Keeping eyes closed and being on a soft surface isolates to relying primarily on my inner ear.  Under this condition, I failed. 

The result is that I've been doing therapy and at home balance exercises.  For example, standing on a soft pad with eyes closed.

Balance is gradually getting better.  Have had no more vertigo episodes in months. 

My PT, surgeon, and Audi can't say that the CI surgery caused the Vestibular Hypofunction in my case.  A CT scan doesn't show anything anomalous.  There is some research suggesting an infrequent association of Vestibular Hypofunction with CI surgery.  Not surprising when surgery is done nearby. 

Just want to post here so that if someone has a similar situation and runs across this thread, they can reach out to the right medical professionals.

Thank you so much Tim for this detailed follow-up and explanation of your condition. I am happy that you are feeling somewhat better..

Yes, I also have gone through various, evaluation‘s investigations, physical therapy, ETC, Neurology, and have tried different things as you said, there is no clear explanation of cause-and-effect.

I always enjoy reading your detailed posts and explanations.! 

We are in  Germany now for a couple of years and actually plan to drive down to Garmisch and Innsbruck in November.

I think you were there earlier.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

Just a quick followup.  I had one more episode months after graduating out of vestibular rehab. I had slacked off on my daily exercise over the holidays which is probably why it happened. I'm trying to be a little better and have had no more issues in about four months. 

My prescribed daily rehab exercise is to stand in the corner of a room on a foam pad (or a stack of pillows/towels) with eyes closed.  Lean back if I feel dizziness come on. (Fortunately I don't have to wear a dunce cap while standing in the corner!) Seriously, there are many possible causes of balance issues though so it is best to get it checked out by professionals if you are suffering from this.

I still think my balance being slightly off has messed up my tennis serve - can't be that I'm just getting older.  🙂  

@SKOM Thanks for the kind words about my detailed posts.  Perhaps I go overboard in detail and am glad to hear when someone finds it helpful. 

How did your visit to Innsbruck go?  Where in Germany are you?  I might have a trip coming up in the next few months.  Feel free to direct message me in Hearpeers. 

Hello! Thanks, Tim. Glad that you are doing better. This exercise you mentioned is a way to challenge your vestibular system. Sounds interesting.

We are Otterberg. Unfortunately we had to cancel the Innsbruck trip as we had to go to India for a Family emergency at that time.

Do let me know when you come visiting Germany.