Stability of Mapping Settings -Sonnet 2 and Rondo 3

Bill C

In November of '22, I had a session with my Audiologist where the mapping in my 2 processors was tweaked a bit, after a period of excellent hearing with my CI and processors. Just a tweak on already effective mapping. I use a hearing aid in my left ear and either of the processors on my right. Within 2, perhaps 3 weeks, my processors were behaving very badly compared to the previous mappings. I was back to my early experiences with the processors, just post activation.

This week I had a mapping appointment with my audiologist, where I animatedly complained of issues with my processors. Upon checking the mappings, it was clear that the detailed previous good mappings had been replaced by a single poor (for me)  mapping. There was no interim mapping effort on anyone's part. It just changed in both the Rondo 3 and the Sonnet 2. My audiologist explained that she had seen the same behavior 3 times recently and a possible explanation was a recent update to the mapping software by Med-El.

Have any of you experienced similar problems? The change of mappings back to the less than good ones caused me to simply not use the CI for 2-3 months until I could get an appointment.

I am very upset by these issues and need to get closure on what happeneed , is Med-El aware of this and will it happen again.

Best regards,

BillC 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Bill C

Let me see if I am following this correctly.

You had MAPs you liked but they needed to be tweaked and that happened in November.  The new MAPs worked fine for 2 or 3 weeks and then you had a significant decrease in hearing with both your Sonnet 2 and Rondo 3 at the same time?

Hi. That's the long and the short of it. They just simply changed mapping - both processors. Not logical at all.

BillC

• HearPeers Heroes

@Bill C

It sounds confusing.  I am sorry you experienced this.

Med-El has periodic updates to their software.  I have never read about any issues with our MAPs after a software update on their programming interface.

The mappings in each of the processors changed from say 29, 28, 27, 26 to a straight 25 or 26 across the board. Strange.

BillC

• HearPeers Heroes

@Bill C

I am not sure if those numbers are your MAP numbers perhaps?

The fitting software did change how MAPs are numbered.  Before every MAP had a unique number in the system.  Now MAPs which are essentially the same using only different front end features share a number. So it is possible to have a MAP 30 using omni mic setting and also a MAP 30 using adaptive mic setting for example.  This just reflects that both MAPs share the same core program settings and differ only in front end features.  This numbering system does not impact how MAPs sound to us.  It just is important to name the programs in a way that we know which settings they have.

Thanks @Mary Beth. Your explanation does make sense. The behavior of the processors is the issue for me. I am going to forward this discussion to my audiologist. Maybe that will help clarify what's going on.

More later. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Bill C

I hope your audiologist can sort things out for you soon.

@Mary Beth I received a reply from my Audiologist after she read this string of messages. She says that the change in the maps was real, not just an artifact of a new numbering system. Apparently there was a software update that involved the numbering system you mentioned, but there was also a more recent update that took care of some related bugs, but not the mapping change we are concerned with. I hope I got the above correct when I heard it.

Not sure what to say.

BillC

• HearPeers Heroes

@Bill C

I am so sorry that this happened to your MAPs.  I hope your audiologist and Med-El can sort whatever happened out quickly.  Are you able to wear your processor again yet?

@Mary Beth

Yes, but I have to form the habits again. The iPhone helps some and if I were more enthusiastic it would certainly help. Thanks for jumping into this puzzle. You are a truly caring soul. I've been giving some thought to getting a CI on my left side. That would cut out one foreign piece of the puzzle. The HA.

BillC

• HearPeers Heroes

@Bill C

I wish I understood what has happened to your CI performance.  Is there a way to test your previous great programs on a different processor that was not involved in whatever software issues your audiologist is referring to?

Thanks @Mary Beth. I wish I understood it too. I will see if we can get Med-El involved. I'll update this topic a I get more info.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Bill C

You can reach out to your Consumer Engagement Manager and your audiologist can reach out to her Clinical Account Manager.  These are Med-El reps that help us and our clinical audiologists.

You can also reach out to Med-El in house audiology and so can your audiologist.  

Med-El US has an extensive team of support.

Wishing you the best.