Rondo 3 and bluetooth

Osvaldo

I was reading about rondo 3 connections... and Im confused...help me

you can´t connect your phone with Rondo 3 directly ( you need audiolink, audiolink  connect to your phone(via bluetooth) an then it send sound to rondo3(wireless) is this right?

what is audiokey app? Do you need have it in your phone to Audiolink can send sound to Rondo 3?

Im using a Rondo 1 with Artone 3, is it ok, but artone 3 normally breaks after using it about 2 years...and you need to use  the necklace...need audiolink  keeps near you? in a pocket o backpack is ok?

now I have got the possibility to upgrade to Rondo 3 and i have these questions...it is a bit"wtf"  medel doesn't integrate full bluetooth in Rondo 3 (2021)

Thanks

• HearPeers Heroes

@Osvaldo

AudioKey 2 is mostly an app that acts like a remote and it communicates directly with Rondo 3 for remote functions like changing volume/program/sensitivity

AudioLink can stream audio to Rondo 3.  If you wish to do so without cables between AudioLink and sound source (phone) you need the Audio2Ear app to convert the protocol for music, audiobooks, etc.  I find its range very limiting.  And its sound quality varies a lot.  It seems to perform better for single sided CI users than Bilateral users as head turning can interfere.  But some users like it so it varies.

Hi @Mary Beth

So if not using the Audio2Ear app, you need to connect the audiolink to your phone using a cable? 
I was under the impression the audiolink connected wirelessly (via BT) to the phone or audio source. 

Thanks. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@AlexExpo

The AudioLink streams actual phone calls wirelessly.  But the AudioLink can not do that with the protocols for all other audio from the phone.  So we can attach a cable between AudioLink and the phone (actually two cables because of the 2.5 to 3.5 converter and if an iPhone also the adapter to accept the 3.5 plug) to stream videos, audiobooks, music etc (everything that is not an actual phone call) OR we run Audio2Ear in the background which converts those audio protocols to a phone call protocol that AudioLink can handle wirelessly.  (In my experience this degrades the audio signal which may still be acceptable for speech but definitely alters music.)

Thanks MaryBeth. 

I would prefer to have the MEDEL electrode/internal component (based on my research), but the current connectivity is pretty dated, especially when compared to Cochlear’s (even my current 5-yr old Phonak HAs offer better connection).

I hope MEDEL implements updates soon.

• HearPeers Heroes

@AlexExpo

I based my decision on the internal components which I hope to use for many decades.  The external processors change every few years.  And the connectivity options change even faster.

I too chose Med-El for the internals as those were “must haves”. External stuff was more “would be nice” and to mirror what Mary Beth said, that changes all the time. 

I’m eager to see the next generation off ear processor. I was surprised to learn that the Rondo 2 had telecoil built in while Rondo 3 users have to plug in an adapter. Just my own personal thinking but there’s usually a reason something is removed. Just got to wait to see where the Med-El team takes it.

Phone companies do similar updates: remove something from a phone one year and the next phone/version has some improvement made possible by whatever was removed. EG improved internals or smaller/lighter design. Again, just my own personal train of thought and we won’t know anything until the next generation processor is released sometimes in the next few years. 

I have had 2 Rondo3s for 1 year for my left ear and my right ear is waiting for the operation. Connectivity with the rondo3 is really sketchy. When you do get things to align just right and connect it really sounds great. I connect my Audio Link to the TV with the docking bay and to the computer with cables. You have to have your head in just the right spot to keep the interference down. I understand why they used BTLE for connectivity, but they could have made a better battery for it and used regular BT or even a proprietary connection on a less-used frequency band.  Or, maybe I have a bad Audio Link device? If you switch processors, you have to pair them again, and the same when you switch back. The Rondo 3 itself is great, but all the accessories are just sick jokes that the engineers and bean counters whipped up on their lunch break. Fortunately, there really isn't much need for remotes and dongles. I connect to the TV, Computer, Alexa, and my stereo in the shop with the Audio Link and it works well for that except for all the interference...sort of like listening to AM radio. I don't need to use it, except when I don't want the sound to come out of the speakers.

I have only been able to get things to work for a phone call 2 times. I think If I used the phone more it would get to be routine, but I don't do audio phone calls if I can help it. If I was still working, I could have plugged Audio Link into the headset jack on the desk phone and I think it would be awesome for that. 

All that being said, it is a quantum leap from a hearing aid for me. I can use the Rondo alone to do everything way better than my hearing aids have been for many years. It has taken a year for me to get used to it now, but I am still learning about everything and how it works best for me. It is very much like my mind and the processers are learning to work together. I am still amazed at the sound quality and how much better I can understand people now.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe Medel needs to up its game re connectivity.   Yes the core functionality of the implant is critically important.  It’s a medical thing after all and I’m certainly not equipped to differentiate the CI vendors at that level.   But I can understand the connectivity options and when I look at the Audiostream forum I’m not really impressed and hope that any bluetooth add on for Rondo3, or future processor, does a better job.    New CI users will increasingly base their vendor decision, assuming the CI itself is roughly equal, on the processor’s feature set and connectivity options.

But, to be clear, I’m very thankful for my CI and it’s core functionality - it really is amazing.