Reimplantation

Abc

Hi. I'd like to know are there anyone here who's had reimplantation because their implant failed/ because of a recall?

• HearPeers Heroes

I am sorry this is happening to you.  

On 15/08/2017 at 7:03 PM, Mary Beth said:

I am sorry this is happening to you.  

Soon, I'm guessing no one? :-)

• HearPeers Heroes

@Sumi Xavier

there are a couple of people here who have been reimplanted.  I am not sure if the reasons for their reimplantations are the same as yours.  If you read through some topics from the past month you will see their posts and can ask them.

• 3 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

OK, Third CI surgery on my left ear- working on a date for that, making certain that insurance will cover it.

MedEl has developed a special implant array that has extra wires to make it stiffer. The idea is to get past the obstruction in the cochlea at the first basal turn.

Once that is complete, it will be removed to implant a regular implant and array. Hoping for Flex28 - I have Flex24 in my Right ear.

Backup plan if all that fails is to try implanting a Advanced Bionic implant (recommended by MedEl because of similarity in MAPping strategies)

Third time is a charm, right?

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes
On 8/15/2017 at 4:53 AM, Sumi Xavier said:

Hi. I'd like to know are there anyone here who's had reimplantation because their implant failed/ because of a recall?

I have a friend who had an implant fail and needed reimplantation- works fine now.

On 12/1/2017 at 4:51 PM, Jdashiell said:

@Jdashiell   plan A and B , you are set for success.  

@Sumi Xavier I went through revision surgery due to electrodes positioning that didn't go past the basal turn.   My revision surgery was easier physically.  It was not classified as device failure (hard or soft)

Is this what happened? The implant failed? I truly hope everything will work out well in the near future. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • HearPeers Heroes
On 12/1/2017 at 4:51 PM, Jdashiell said:

OK, Third CI surgery on my left ear- working on a date for that, making certain that insurance will cover it.

MedEl has developed a special implant array that has extra wires to make it stiffer. The idea is to get past the obstruction in the cochlea at the first basal turn.

Once that is complete, it will be removed to implant a regular implant and array. Hoping for Flex28 - I have Flex24 in my Right ear.

Backup plan if all that fails is to try implanting a Advanced Bionic implant (recommended by MedEl because of similarity in MAPping strategies)

I just learned this afternoon, that my surgery date has been postponed an additional 3 weeks. GAAA! March 13 is the new date.

• 9 months later...

Yes, I received a new Med El device a few months ago because my Cochlear device was not MRI-compatible.  The biggest problem was terrible vertigo following the second surgery. It resolved after about 2 weeks.  IMHO the Med El device is superior.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @ILAN

I am glad the vertigo problems after your reimplantation went away.

There are not many people who have been implanted with different brands in the same ear, so your experience is quite unique.

Will you tell us what you notice as improved with your Med-El implant?

Are you using a Sonnet or Rondo?

Welcome to HearPeers!

Yes, my experience is quite unique.

I am using the Sonnet, and waiting for the Rondo 2.

The quality of speech in the Cochlear and MedEl devices is pretty similar. 

The MedEl device is far superior when it comes to listening to music. With the Cochlear device, I found that everything was mushy and I could not distinguish among musical instruments.  On the other hand, listening to music with the MedEl device is much closer to natural sound: so much so that I was overcome with emotion and cried for 10 minutes the first time I listened to music using the MedEl device.

Finally, I think the MedEl device is somewhat better in a crowded noisy environment.

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

@ILAN

I bet you will always remember the first song you heard with your Sonnet!  Wonderful!

Do you know which electrode array you have? Flex 28? 

Do you have a program on your Sonnet with adaptive mic setting to use in noise?  It is amazing in noise.

I have the Flex 28 electrode array, but only electrodes 1-8 are activated. The remaining 4 extra-cochlear.

Yes, I use the adaptive program. It's great. In fact, because I don't like carrying around the FineTuner, it is the only program that I now use.

• HearPeers Heroes

@ILAN

My left electrode array is flex28.  My right electrode array in medium.  Both sound great.

I know several people who also stay in adaptive mic setting all the time and prefer it that way.