Immediate Post Implant

Andrew42

I know several people were discussing the issue of nausea and vomiting post op and comments were made regarding whether to eat and drink before leaving the recovery area and going home since they are discharged on the same day as the surgery.  As a nurse, I know it is very important to make sure the patient is able to drink/swallow without difficulty prior to discharge.  If you experience nausea then medication can be given to control it.  If you start vomiting then they can give you medication for the vomiting and IV fluids to prevent dehydration.  They also need to make sure you do not have any difficulties swallowing post surgery especially if a breathing tube (intubation) was used during the procedure.  If these or other difficulties arise post op it is easier to manage them prior to discharge than when you are on your way home.  

I went home following my surgery both times and never experienced nausea or vomiting but they did give me a prescription for nausea just in case.  I even stopped to get something to eat on my way home,  I did have some dizziness but made sure I didn't make any quick movements in my position and that I was drinking enough fluids so I was well hydrated.  As for pain, I had very little and if I did (usually just a headache) I only took Tylenol.  The first 2 nights before sleep I did take an oxycodone since I had to wear one of those round plastic protectors over the surgical site and sometimes  if I turned on that side it put some pressure on my head which was uncomfortable due the surgical site being a little swollen which is normal.  If you are experiencing pain don't hold off on taking the pain medication because if it gets too intense the pain medication may not be as effective.  You want to try and stay ahead of the pain when it starts.

The important thing is to talk to your surgeons, anesthesiologists and nurses about all of your questions and concerns.  Also,  make sure you tell them about all of your allergies or intolerances resulting in nausea, vomiting or diarrhea especially to any medications.  Some people can't take certain pain medications resulting in these problems.

Everyone's experience is different and it is much better if you have as much information as possible so you know what you might experience.  I always recommend you have someone with you especially when you go to the surgeon and when receiving your discharge instructions.  They may have questions about things you didn't think of, didn't hear or understand or forgot to ask.  Write down all of your questions and take them with you to all of your appointments.  It really helps.

Mary

Thank you for all the helpful information @Mary G. Weaver!

@Mary Beth Surgery went smoothly! Hopefully this information will be of help to someone in the future:

-Pre-op CT scan led Med-El recommendation of Flex 28 array. The surgeon told my husband that he spent 20 minutes trying to fit the last electrode inside my cochlea, but unsuccessful.  Operative findings state NRTs good response all electrodes except #11 & #12. A little disappointed that two electrodes may be useless, but I am sure that I will still be happy with my hearing outcome.

-I expressed concern about nausea, so they applied a nausea patch and injected with anti nausea meds during surgery.  Keeping the patch on for 72 hours.

-Also asked about facial nerve monitoring.  They tested monitor before use and used it throughout surgery.

-Felt pretty good post-surgery, and made the 3 hour trip home with no difficulty or discomfort. Sent me home with high dose Tylenol and ibuprofen to alternate. 

-One day after surgery and I feel okay, with slight dizziness, weakness, and pain in jaw and around Glasscock dressing. Can remove that tomorrow (48 hrs. Post-op.)  Implanted ear will pop occasionally, but so far no sharp pain that they said is normal.

-Return in one week for post-op CT scan for otoplan and post-op visit.

Side note: Don’t understand it, but my abs are sore like I’ve done an ab workout 😂. Anyone else experience this?

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @ERW

So glad your surgery is behind you.

I think I recall reading a post from someone who also had sore abs and it was related to how they secure us in place for surgery perhaps?  But definitely reach out to your CI team about that.

When is your activation?

@Mary Beth Thanks! Now looking forward to bigger and better things 😁.

Activation is July 28. A day before our wedding anniversary, and I think it’s the perfect gift! 

• Like 2

BTW, that’s interesting about how they keep us in place during surgery.  I have a small bruise on my chin from anesthesia tube, and have a scabby spot on top of my head 🤷🏻‍♀️All I remember is them putting the oxygen mask on and asking me to move up on the table toward a pillow that fit around my head. Then I was out 😅

@Mary Beth I found this on Google re: muscle soreness after anesthesia:

What is postoperative muscle soreness?

It usually lasts for 2 or 3 days but occasionally persists for as long as a week. It usually appears on the first day after surgery, is most commonly described as the pain one might suffer after an unaccustomed degree of physical exercise, and is usually located in the neck, shoulder and upper abdominal muscles.

This describes what I feel perfectly. If anyone finds that helpful post-surgery :)

• HearPeers Heroes

I am sorry you are sore @ERW

I hope you feel better soon.

@Mary Beth Thanks! It’s all minor, just a new experience for me. Didn’t realize anesthesia could cause all that. Short-term with an exciting life-changing outcome!