MRI personal experiences

Heather W

Hi all, 

I am having my first MRI since getting implanted (for a low back issue). I’m good with all the technical stuff, I’ve shared all the MedEL literature with my MRI provider, etc. I know that I won’t be wearing my processor or HA during MRI and I have confirmed with radiology that they will not need to wrap my head . They have opted to use the lower  1.5 telsa strength MRI  

I am wondering if folks could share their MRI experiences (any odd sensations or sounds)? I have the  Synchrony2 internal implant.  I have read the MedEL literature that says I may hear beeps and clicks or feel tension near the magnet site. It’s just helpful for me to know what to expect. 

Thanks for any info you are willing to share. 
Heather

• HearPeers Heroes

@Joan has shared her MRI experiences so I am tagging her 

@Heather W I’ve had multiple (5) 1.5 Tesla MRIs since being implanted, all being of my head (follow up on a brain tumor that was removed ). All were uneventful with the exception of some of the beeps and clicks you mentioned. I didn’t experience any particularly odd sensations. Admittedly I was nervous with my first but, with that one being as “easy” as it was, I went into my subsequent ones with little concern. 

Good luck with yours. I hope all goes well!

Thanks so much @Joan!! So many “firsts” as a new CI patient! Some are fun and amazing and some create a bit of nervousness! Thanks for sharing your experiences! That’s very helpful. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/7/2023 at 10:40 AM, Heather W said:

Hi all, 

I am having my first MRI since getting implanted (for a low back issue). I’m good with all the technical stuff, I’ve shared all the MedEL literature with my MRI provider, etc. I know that I won’t be wearing my processor or HA during MRI and I have confirmed with radiology that they will not need to wrap my head . They have opted to use the lower  1.5 telsa strength MRI  

I am wondering if folks could share their MRI experiences (any odd sensations or sounds)? I have the  Synchrony2 internal implant.  I have read the MedEL literature that says I may hear beeps and clicks or feel tension near the magnet site. It’s just helpful for me to know what to expect. 

Thanks for any info you are willing to share. 
Heather

I had a full body bone scan with one implant in May ‘22 and again with two implants in May ‘23. No issues. I had an MRI focused on cervical area to examine spinal stenosis in June ‘23. I was a little nervous because of the focus being so close to the implants Despite all the implant info shared by Med El with, three providers refused to do the MRI. Fourth provider, a hospital with a new MRI machine agreed after consulting with Med El. It was a rather interesting experience. The jackhammer sound was quite loud, no processors in. I wasn’t prepared for that. Secondly, I forgot to take the key to the little locker they give you for your personal effects that have metal and the tech caught that almost immediately when he turned on the machine and the key tried to pull out of my pocket. Third, a gold signet ring I wear, I forgot and it buzzed the whole examine. All in all, no real problems and the MRI was sharp.